Thursday, November 2, 2017

COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 9

In the wake of maybe the greatest NFL trade deadline ever, the coalition returns to picking games against the spread!

Adam is back home from California, though he did pretty well for himself out on the West Coast. He took four of our seven disputed games to increase his lead over me to three games. That said, Geoffrey Clark has increased his own lead atop our group. You can take a look at our ESPN standings here, and a full breakdown of our picks in relation to each other here.

When Adam sent me his picks this week, he included this little nugget.
I was reminded a few days ago that this week (Week 9) 3 years ago I executed the most fabulous picks... cheerleaders... all cheerleaders... well alas not this week; I have limited time between work, packing, moving boxes and painting... things are changing for the Quinn's... much like the NFL this past week.
...and you thought I was kidding about Adam making picks based on cheerleaders. His family's move just down the road a little bit in the suburbs of Dallas takes priority, but he still found time for his weekly contribution. This week, we disagree on just four games out of 13.

Thursday Night

Buffalo Bills @ New York Jets (+2.5)
Lucas: Bills. Ah, yes. The annual Christmas Bowl. Though I'm not going to lie: the Japanese Christmas Bowl is far superior to this garbage. And a lot easier on the eyes.
Adam: Jets. Not in love with this Thursday night tilt. The Jets have been much better than expected and I feel like the Bills have not done half of what they should have. Maybe that's why they pulled off a trade for Kelvin Benjamin.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Carolina Panthers (-2.5)
Lucas: Falcons. Carolina sold at the deadline, while the Falcons may be figuring out their choking issues. But let's be honest: their Legacy of Failure is still forever forged.
Adam: Falcons. I wonder when this line was set if Benjamin was dealt already.
Lucas note: I don't think so. I got an alert on my phone at 3:26 Tuesday afternoon, and the lines drop usually an hour or two before that.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-4.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. On one hand, the pattern suggests that it's an even numbered game so the Jags will lay an egg. Then again, it's an odd numbered week, so maybe they'll dominate. Either way, I have no trust in Cincy. But I wonder how AJ McCarron feels about avoiding going to the Browns because the Browns are the Browns.
Adam: Jaguars. Fournette making his triumphant return...

Denver Broncos @ Philadelphia Eagles (-7.5)
Lucas: Eagles. I'm not falling for this again, Denver. You have no quarterback, and that defense isn't going to keep up with Philly's offense, especially now that they've added Jay Ajayi.
Adam: Eagles. There is not much stopping this group. They just stole... I mean straight up thieved Jay Ajayi from Miami.

Baltimore Ravens @ Tennessee Titans (-5.5)
Lucas: Ravens. Sounds like Flacco will be ready to go, and the Titans have been okay, but not great. I'm still not fully sold on the Ravens either, but given the line, I'll take the points. I'm still not 100 percent sure why Alonso didn't at least get a one game suspension for this, though.
Adam: Ravens. I like this team over the Titan's straight up.
Lucas note: I made the editorial judgment to remove Adam's line about Flacco possibly being out since he's out of concussion protocol and in line to start on Sunday. I'm assuming especially with Flacco, he's good with the Ravens over the Titans straight up.

Indianapolis Colts @ Houston Texans (-12.5)
Lucas: Texans. I caught Seattle's game winning drive on Houston Sunday evening, and good Lord the Texans defense looked completely overmatched, especially on Graham's game-winner (how was he that wide open?!). Fortunately for the Texans, the Colts don't have the weapons to pull something like that off. Have a day, Deshaun.
Adam: Texans. Breaking gambling code here and giving double digits. But damn, last week I lost my fantasy game because the guy I played trotted out both Hopkins and Fuller... that was 62 points, almost half the guys points. Yeah I am a little salty...
Lucas note: I played Joe in our league last week. He had Hopkins and Russell Wilson, so.

Los Angeles Rams @ New York Giants (+3.5)
Lucas: Rams. The Giants are just tanking so they can draft Eli's replacement, right?
Adam: Rams. Gonna Ram in the G-Men that is... only 3.5 seems soft. Rams by 2 TDs.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New Orleans Saints (-7.5)
Lucas: Saints. New Orleans took advantage of possibly the worst call since the Fail Mary (though the Austin Sefarian-Jenkins touchback two weeks ago was up there too) to a degree against the Bears. But they were the better team and deserved to win, and they're clearly better than the Bucs. I'll lay the points.
Adam: Saints. Really hoping this is the massive break out game of the season for Brees. Though he has been fine, nothing OMG yet.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Arizona Cardinals @ San Francisco 49ers (+2.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. I'd like to bring in guest analyst Gowron, son of M'Rel, for his take on if the House of Duras will rule the Empire the Jimmy Garoppolo trade means the Niners are going to be good again.
Adam: 49ers. You think Garoppolo is going to start... he already knows the playbook already courtesy of Coach Belichick.
Lucas note: He might not even play this season, let alone this week. But did... did you make a Patriots cheating joke?

Washington Redskins @ Seattle Seahawks (-7.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. I had become skeptical about Seattle and home field, but I think they've started to figure things out. Factor in the addition of a linchpin to the offensive line to keep Russell Wilson upright, and I'm good laying the points.
Adam: Redskins. Not loving giving a touchdown-plus for the Seahawks. Playing my gut and taking the points.

Kansas City Chiefs @ Dallas Cowboys (-0.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Now that, presumably, the lying tyrant has finally won again, the Cowboys have no business being favored, even in a pick 'em. Losing Elliott is a major problem for this team.
Adam: Chiefs. As I said last week, "Feed Zeke." Well, he will be eating from the side. But wait, there is more... apparently the judge's husband may somehow have created a conflict of interest. He works at a law firm that represented the NFL in the last collective bargaining agreement. Wow, this will never end. Just sit your 6 games.
Lucas note: It's exactly like the Brady case. Roger Goodell is a lying tyrant, and I don't blame Zeke for trying to clear his name, even if at the end of the day it would have been a smarter football decision to just sit the six games and be done with it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the players need to strike. Or hope that Jerrah forces Goodell out.

Sunday Night

Oakland Raiders @ Miami Dolphins (+3.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Boy, I bet NBC wishes they could have flexed out of this one. This is more of a "I'm taking the points and getting the hell away from this game" pick than anything else. Also, Ndamukong Suh is a thug who needs to be banned from football.
Adam: Dolphins. I believe in you Miami, even if Madden does not. Apparently Madden 2017 (or whatever stupid name it has now) would not even allow this dumb of a trade.

Monday Night

Detroit Lions @ Green Bay Packers (+2.5)
Lucas: Packers. This is a risky pick. I don't fully trust Mike McCarthy without Aaron Rodgers... or with Aaron Rodgers... but that means I'm betting on Jim Freaking Caldwell. I'm not doing that. Give me the Packers off a bye with extra prep time for Brett Hundley, even if they almost went and signed Brian Freaking Hoyer.
Adam: Lions. With Tate back at close to 100% I don't see anything but a blow out.

Records So Far
Lucas: 58-61 (7-6 last week)
Adam: 61-58 (8-5 last week)
Scott: 49-70 (9-4 last week)
Geoffrey: 65-54 (10-3 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment