Wednesday, November 22, 2017

2017 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 12

I'm running these a little early because of the holiday. And with plans both later tonight and for Thanksgiving, I wanted to keep up the tradition and get these up a little early. Especially given how early we're playing games tomorrow, I felt that this was important.

Adam I'm sure wants to get right back into this, after he took five of seven disputed games last week to not only extend his lead over me, but to overtake first place in the coalition. And yet he's still complaining about the Browns costing him an extra one (the lesson, as always: don't bet on Cleveland.) You can also see correct standings with a breakdown of our picks in relation to each othere here.

With the byes complete, we have 96 games left over the next six weeks. On this holiday weekend, Adam and I disagree on just three games out of 16.

From all of us here at Confessions of a Sportscaster, Happy Thanksgiving!

Thursday Morning

Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions (+2.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Jim, you're not supposed to be this out of it yet. We haven't even had the turkey!
Adam: Vikings. What is Thanksgiving without a little football… Detroit football to be exact. Well they may be on the TV, but they will not be playing. Even in Detroit I will lay the points and take Minnesota by a TD.

Thursday Afternoon

Los Angeles Chargers @ Dallas Cowboys (-0.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Maybe the Cowboys get Tyron Smith back this week. Not like it's going to help them all that much with Zeke still gone. And Cowboys fans' tears will taste delicious on my potatoes.
Adam: Chargers. Again, what is Thanksgiving without Dallas football? But alas today Zeke will not be fed in Jerry’s world, he will have to find his own. I’ll take Ol’ Man Rivers.


Thursday Night

New York Giants @ Washington Redskins (-7.5)
Lucas: Redskins. Andy Reid went into a food coma four days too early. It's the only explanation for why the Giants won that game. This week they go back to being a dessert. Pumpkin pie sounds good. Matthew, pass the whipped cream.
Adam: Giants. And in other news, the Giants keep KC out of the end-zone... oh wait, that cannot be right... KC keeps Giants out of end-zone? Wait Wait Wait the Giants won... on all field goals. Hmmm... taking the points.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Atlanta Falcons (-8.5)
Lucas: Falcons. I think the Atlanta offense needs to take over Atlanta's mass transit system... though maybe they'd still find a way to screw up the Georgia Dome implosion camera.
Adam: Falcons. I hate the 6/6.5 to 8.5/9 lines. Considering that Atlanta outlasted Seattle last week (more on that later) and Tampa has a weaker defense I’ll lay the points.

Buffalo Bills @ Kansas City Chiefs (-9.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. I really, REALLY want to take the points here because of course Andy Reid out Andy Reid-ed himself, but it's the Bills. I could run for 100 yards in a game against that run defense, and have you seen me run?
Adam: Chiefs. Nathan Peterman was 6-14... and 5 picks. So technically 11-14 which isn’t that bad...

Chicago Bears @ Philadelphia Eagles (-13.5)
Lucas: Eagles. Go Bison. Also, Holy Moses.
Adam: Eagles. So in other news the Bears waived Connor Barth to pick up Cairo Santos. Yeah, improved there... not. Eagles roll by 25+ this week.

Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals (-8.5)
Lucas: Bengals. Good news, Cleveland! If you win out and have 40 other things go your way, you can make the playoffs! I am now rooting for the dream scenario.
Adam: Browns. I will not let last second 4th quarter shenanigans put me down. I will take the Browns until they cover. For the record, I went Hero last week on the Browns to cover the 7.5 points. I was winning until the last possession when Jacksonville sacked Kizer and it was recovered in the endzone for a touchdown. Yeah... should have been 4/4 on hero. Thanks Browns...

Tennessee Titans @ Indianapolis Colts (+3.5)
Lucas: Titans. The Colts aren't picking off Marcus Mariota four times like the Steelers did, right?
Adam: Titans. This must be the team I love to hate this year. I cannot seem to find any reason to or not to pick them, but the Colts are so up and down on their Luck (see what I did there?) that I cannot support them even at home.

Lucas note:

Miami Dolphins @ New England Patriots (-16.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Yeah, I know, it's a lot of points to lay, but it's Thanksgiving week and the Dolphins are awful. I just wish Jay weren't in concussion protocol so he can recreate this gem. Happy fifth birthday, Butt Fumble!
Adam: Patriots. Yes, even by 16.5. I had my wife’s cousin over last Sunday to watch some games. We were tracking other games as well. So Miami gets to the red zone and I commented, "Man it would be awesome to have Smoking Jay toss a fatty interception." Next play pops up on my phone: Interception. It was great.
Lucas note: Waitasecondwaitasecond. Are... are you cheating on me?!
Lucas note: I kid, of course. It's just been like a year. I couldn't resist.

Carolina Panthers @ New York Jets (+4.5)
Lucas: Panthers. BAH GAWD, THAT'S GREG OLSEN'S MUSIC!
Adam: Panthers. In celebration of celebrations... and if I know Lucas he is making plenty of jokes too... I’ll just come in behind and make some too: haha…BUTT FUMBLE from the Dirty Sanchez.
Lucas note: Once again as a reminder of how we do these: I write up my picks first, then enter Adam's in, so I don't know what he's picking beforehand. But I'm glad he knew I'd be honoring the Butt Fumble. Here's one more for the road.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Seattle Seahawks @ San Francisco 49ers (+6.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Legion of Boom broken, but I don't fully trust the Niners to take advantage.
Adam: 49ers. Look at Pete Carroll’s face in the video. It's glorious.
Lucas note: "And I find it kinda funny... I find it kinda sad..."

Denver Broncos @ Oakland Raiders (-5.5)
Lucas: Raiders. The prime matchup in this game: a Denver offense that just fired its offensive coordinator against an Oakland defense that just fired its defensive coordinator. I know the interim guys have been with their teams all season, but I can't help but picture this when I think about this matchup between interim coaches.
Adam: Raiders. Apparently Denver is going away from the 72 million dollar man...

New Orleans Saints @ Los Angeles Rams (-2.5)
Lucas: Saints. Um, have the oddsmakers seen the Saints the last nine weeks? The Rams lost to anothr good team in the Vikings this past week, and now they're neutral site pick 'em's over arguably the hottest team in the league? No thanks.
Adam: Saints. This one is all on Brees. The ground games are pretty much even; it come to the air assault. I like Brees much better than Goff.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Arizona Cardinals (+4.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Taking the points because pattern. Up last week (barely), bound to go down this week.
Adam: Cardinals. I’ll take the points at home. Also given that it too a gift of a touchdown to cover last week for the Jags I’ll call BS and right the 4.5 points.
Lucas note: So are we using this one as the excuse if I come back in the final six weeks, or the one from a few weeks ago that you were complaining about?

Sunday Night

Green Bay Packers @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-13.5)
Lucas: Steelers. This line is maybe three points higher than I'd expected before I looked at it, but I have no argument with it after Sunday. My goodness, Brett Hundley was awful, and I don't see anything changing this week except for the Steelers going 2014-Packers-versus-Bears-at-Lambeau on the 2017 Packers. #FireEveryone
Adam: Steelers. AB... wow. Just AB. Helmet catch. Wow. Just wow.
Lucas note:

Monday Night

Houston Texans @ Baltimore Ravens (-6.5)
Lucas: Texans. Okay, Vegas needs to stop overestimating the Ravens. They may be this year's Good Bad Team: they've been takeaway kings against the crappy teams (Cincy, Cleveland, Miami, the Rodgers-less Packers) but can't do anything against good teams. I don't think Houston is a "good" team, but they're certainly better than the list I just put up there. Seriously, Baltimore isn't that good. They're fluky and a bad team that takes advantage of worse teams.
Adam: Texans. -6.5 at home? Seems off, but I know I tend to way undervalue the Ravens in general. But still, I like what Houston has and will take the points on the road in a less than stellar Monday night game.

Records So Far
Lucas: 79-81 (7-7 last week)
Adam: 86-74 (10-4 last week)
Scott: 71-89 (8-6 last week)
Geoffrey: 81-79 (4-10 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment