Thursday, October 26, 2017

2017 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 8

We're nearing the halfway point of the season

I'm pretty sure last week Adam and I set a record for groupthink, and we ended up splitting the two games we disagreed on. That keeps him a couple games ahead of me on the year. Meanwhile, Bulls Confidential blogger Geoffrey Clark padded his lead a little bit this week with a 2-1 week on hero picks. It's brought his average back down to earth a little bit, but he's still excelled in those games. You can view a full breakdown of our picks in relation to each other here. I share that primarily because the ESPN standings are off by a couple games on Adam's side since he picked wrong on there back in Week 1. Fortunately for him, the official standings are based on the picks we make here.

This week, all semblance of groupthink is gone as Adam and I disagree on seven games out of 13. He is in California this week on government business, but still found time in between his work and visiting local breweries to send a short set of picks.

Thursday Night

Miami Dolphins @ Baltimore Ravens (-3.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Smokin' Jay can go back to smoking on the sidelines, even though I can't imagine that's good on the ribs. But it's better than what the Ravens have done lately. I just think it's hilarious that Ravens fans were talking them up after beating up on two bad teams to start the year and followed that up by losing four of five.
Adam: Dolphins. We all know now that Smoking Jay is injured, like normal, the Fins will be great.

Sunday Morning

Minnesota Vikings vs Cleveland Browns (+9.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Ordinarily I'd take the points here, but with their best player gone in Joe Thomas, the Browns don't stand a chance. Also, the combined margin of victory in the first three London games this year is 97-7, and I don't see that trend changing in this one.
Adam: Browns. Taking the points but not in love with it.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ New York Jets (+4.5)
Lucas: Jets. Me:
Adam: Falcons. Maybe the Jets should take a page from New England. Fog Bowl 2.0 anyone?

Oakland Raiders @ Buffalo Bills (-2.5)
Lucas: Raiders. I'm gonna ride the team that pulled this off while I was riding the L back to downtown Chicago after watching the Cubs get curbstomped out of the playoffs.
Adam: Bills. I just don't know what is going on with either team.

Chicago Bears @ New Orleans Saints (-8.5)
Lucas: Bears. I know everyone is going nuts over what Eddie Jackson just did last week, but call me when he has walk off pick-sixes in back to back weeks.
Adam: Bears. Wow, no respect. 8.5 point dog. No respect.

Indianapolis Colts @ Cincinnati Bengals (-10.5)
Lucas: Colts. I know Cincy has started to right the ship, but I don't really trust them as a double digit home favorite, even if Captain Andrew Luck has to stay out of the fight.
Adam: Colts. 10+ point line. Taking the points and hoping.

Los Angeles Chargers @ New England Patriots (-7.5)
Lucas: Patriots. I forgot early in the season: the Pats sometimes struggle early, then after a few weeks get their stuff together and start reminding everyone why they're arguably the best team in the league.
Adam: Chargers. Not that anyone in LA will be watching... but I think Rivers and crew eat up this D.

San Francisco 49ers @ Philadelphia Eagles (-12.5)
Lucas: Eagles. I wasn't sure about this one. Almost two touchdowns is a lot against a team that, even though they're 0-7, has kept most of their games close. But I don't think they can stop Carson Wentz (Go Bison).
Adam: Eagles. Going against form here and giving 10+ points. Wentz is tearing it up.

Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-2.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. All right. Who broke Cam Newton?
Adam: Buccaneers. Really? You think Carolina has a chance after being embarrassed by my Bears?

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Houston Texans @ Seattle Seahawks (-5.5)
Lucas: Texans. I'm thinking maybe the lines from Seattle home field are starting to shift, but if I'm getting this much I'm still taking the points. Stiff test for Deshaun Watson to be sure, but one I think he passes.
Adam: Seahawks. Though Houston has some surprising bright spots, Seattle's D will hold.

Dallas Cowboys @ Washington Redskins (+2.5)
Lucas: Redskins. Everyone's talking up the Cowboys after they curbstomped a bad 49ers team, which doesn't say a lot. Give me Josh Norman in the First Battle of Samsung.
Adam: Cowboys. Zeke! Zeke! Zeke! Feed him!

Sunday Night

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Detroit Lions (+3.5)
Lucas: Steelers. This one's for you, Juju Smith-Schuster's stolen bike that it sounds like he's getting back.
Adam: Steelers. With Tate most likely out, Bell and crew will reign.

Monday Night

Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs (-7.5) 
Lucas: Broncos. I know Denver just got shut out by the freaking Chargers, but Kansas City is coming back down to earth a little bit. I'm taking the points on this one.
Adam: Chiefs. What has happened to Denver? Sad.
Lucas note: ...am I a bad person for reading this like a Trump tweet?

Records So Far
Lucas: 51-55 (7-8 last week)
Adam: 53-53 (7-8 last week)
Scott: 40-66 (6-9 last week)
Geoffrey: 55-51 (8-7 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment