Thursday, November 30, 2017

2017 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 13

The coalition returns to action again this week, and I get the feeling everyone is eager to get back to it, after the week we all had.

Maybe having 11 weeks of data to work with really helped us all. Even though I swept the three picks Adam and I disputed, he and the rest of the group all finished with a winning record. It's created a little log jam in the standings.

Now that said, after giving Adam grief a couple times, I screwed up and made a wrong pick on ESPN, taking the Jaguars on there after taking the Cardinals on here. Since precedent is that COAS picks get priority, I have one more win than ESPN says I do. You can see those adjusted and correct standings, as well as a breakdown of our picks in relation to each other, here.

So with the gap having narrowed, these last 80 games are critical to see who will win. This week, Adam and I disagree on a whopping nine games out of 16. Watch out; we may have a change in the leaderboard this week!

Thursday Night

Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys (-1.5) 
Lucas: Redskins. We now go live to Dak Prescott as he prepares for this game.
Adam: Redskins. How is this even a question? And the Cowboys favored? WHAT?!?!

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Minnesota Vikings @ Atlanta Falcons (-2.5)
Lucas: Vikings. What did we learn last year? In the battle of offense versus defense, go with the defense. The fact that Case Keenum continues to destroy everyone just makes this pick easier.
Adam: Falcons. After last week's showing by Julio Jones and Matty Ice I think it will go the same this week.

New England Patriots @ Buffalo Bills (+8.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Look, we all know the Pats are just going to keep blowing people out for the next two weeks until they get their matchup in Pittsburgh. And then... oh Lord, we're on a collision course for a sixth Brady-Belichick Super Bowl, aren't we?
Adam: Patriots. Cannot trust the Bills. And let’s be honest: 8.5 is nothing for the Pats.

San Francisco 49ers @ Chicago Bears (-3.5)
Lucas: 49ers. Now, I don't remember the exact number, but since taking over the Bears job, John Fox is like 0-6 when the Bears are favored. I get why they are favorites this week, but that's a history I can't ignore. Bears fans, you can be happy: I wrote this post on your official Web browser.
Adam: 49ers. *Head down and shaking in shame* For shame.
Lucas note:

Denver Broncos @ Miami Dolphins (-0.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Denver still can't get competent quarterback play, and now they're out Aqib Talib because he and Michael Crabtree have hate boners for each other.
Adam: Broncos. Any team with Smoking Jay... not a team that will win ever.

Detroit Lions @ Baltimore Ravens (-2.5)
Lucas: Ravens. I still don't think the Ravens are a good team. They beat the teams they're supposed to, but have had trouble with actual good teams. Fortunately for them, the Lions aren't an actual good team, 6-5 record notwithstanding.
Adam: Lions. I have been riding Tate, the Golden, all season. Now it’s time to fully hand over the reins to Jones, the Marvin of Jr.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Green Bay Packers (-2.5)
Lucas: Packers. Now, hear me out. Tampa isn't very good, which is why the Packers are favored. Brett Hundley, after whatever you call what happened in the Ravens game, looked all right again this past week. Win this one, beat Cleveland next week, and all of the sudden you're 7-6 and hopefully Dr. McKenzie clears the ultimate weapon for action. I mean, he's ready.
Adam: Buccaneers. So I hear Aaron is throwing again. Oh, but that’s not in a real game. Sad... not.

Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans (-6.5)
Lucas: Texans. This should have been the premiere matchup of the week. Instead, Deshaun Watson blew out his knee, Marcus Mariota has been meh, and neither team is overwhelming at this point. I'm just taking the points and leaving this game.
Adam: Texans. Well, it should be a solid game. I don’t see Tennessee winning by a touchdown.

Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-9.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. Odd numbered week. Pattern. Laying the points.
Adam: Colts. The line makes me a little scared. Both the colts and jags haven’t impressed of late.

Kansas City Chiefs @ New York Jets (+3.5)
Lucas: Jets. You got one week of benefit of the doubt, Kansas City. You're not getting a second.
Adam: Jets. I have taken entirely too many road teams to this point (eight of nine) so I am compelled by the Gambler's Fallacy to pick the home team.
Lucas note: I mean, I took a crap ton of favorites last week and it worked out all right.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Cleveland Browns @ Los Angeles Chargers (-13.5)
Lucas: Chargers. BAH GAWD, THAT'S JOSH GORDON'S MUSIC!
Adam: Browns. So I may want to go to the parade: the perfect 0-16 season.
Lucas note: Will they be handing out free paper bags to put over your head? I may meet you there.

New York Giants @ Oakland Raiders (-6.5)
Lucas: Raiders. I might have taken the points originally, but the Giants are trying to see what they have in Geno Smith. Unfortunately for them, we all already know what we have in Geno Smith. Especially IK Enemkpali.
Adam: Giants. Eli Manning is a class act. Showed up early to practice to help his replacement.

Los Angeles Rams @ Arizona Cardinals (+6.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. I mean, we can safely say the Rams are legit after they beat a good Saints team. But to lay a touchdown against a good pass defense... I'll take the points and hope Todd Gurley doesn't go bonkers.
Adam: Rams. A lot of road teams this week are lookin' good. LA by two touchdowns courtesy of Gurley.

Carolina Panthers @ New Orleans Saints (-3.5) 
Lucas: Panthers. Tough call on this one. I like the Saints to win still, but the line gives me enough wiggle room to go with the points.
Adam: Saints. Brees at home. Nuff said.

Sunday Night

Philadelphia Eagles @ Seattle Seahawks (+5.5)
Lucas: Eagles. I don't know the last time the Seahawks were home dogs, much less by this big a margin. But with the Legion of Boom crippled, six points is plenty.
Adam: Eagles. Yes, I’ll take the Bison by 5.5 on the road the way they are playing. Philly is so confident they put in Napoleon Dynamite (Nick Foles), my favorite, just to mess with my B3@r$.

Monday Night

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Cincinnati Bengals (+6.5)
Lucas: Steelers. *looks up Andy Dalton's career splits* *notes garbage primetime record* *can't click the Steelers checkbox hard enough*
Adam: Steelers. Only 6.5 is the line. Given that the last two weeks have been dominated by Brown I hope Bell is fed (for touchdowns anyway) this week.

Records So Far
Lucas: 91-85 (12-4 last week)
Adam: 95-81 (9-7 last week)
Scott: 84-92 (13-3 last week)
Geoffrey: 91-85 (10-6 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment