Thursday, October 12, 2017

2017 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 6

The coalition returns for more NFL picks, and now that we're a little ways into the season, I'm starting to get into the swing of things.

Through the first four weeks, I had made one hero pick and lost it. Last week I made up for it, going hero five times and winning three of them. It propelled me to winning my first week against Adam, taking four of our six disputed games, but Adam still holds a fairly solid lead at this point. However, he's out of first place as Geoffrey Clark took over the top spot with a couple more successful hero picks. He's 9-1 on those picks, and it's why he holds a narrow lead. You can view a full breakdown of our picks in relation to each other here, and our ESPN standings here, though bear in mind that Adam has two more points than ESPN says he does.

We move onto another 14 game week with the set of byes in place. Groupthink prevailed this round, as Adam and I disagree on only three games this time.

Thursday Night

Philadelphia Eagles @ Carolina Panthers (-2.5) 
Lucas: Eagles. Cam has looked really good the last two weeks, but I'm not 100 percent sold on the Panthers at the moment. Taking the points and the upset.
Adam: Panthers. In Cam we trust... at least I hope so. Should be a decent Thursday night game here. Cam has looked good and I will give the 2.5 and hope Philly's offense can stay in check.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Miami Dolphins @ Atlanta Falcons (-11.5)
Lucas: Falcons. Whereas normally Iceman would take the points in this situation, because this line is high. Whereas Iceman is like Chris Foerster and too coked up to know any better.
Adam: Falcons. Too easy...
Lucas note: You know what? I had two different cocaine jokes in mind and opted for the George Gervin one first. Let's break out the other one too because, like Adam said, it's too easy.

Chicago Bears @ Baltimore Ravens (-7.5)
Lucas: Bears. Mitchell Trubisky did enough in his first game to at least keep the Bears competitive... at least until he threw that late pick. But it's not like Joe Flacco won't be doing the same. Taking the points here. Also, Danny Trevathan has no business playing again this early after his hit on Davante Adams two weeks ago.
Adam: Ravens. 7.5 on the road with a 2nd game rookie. Don't get me wrong, Mitch "The Missile" Trubisky had some pretty solid looks with an average at best WR corp... but I will not take the points here.

Cleveland Browns @ Houston Texans (-9.5)
Lucas: Texans. I'm just gonna leave this here...
Lucas note: But don't let that fact distract from the Indians blowing a 2-0 lead to the Yankees in the ALDS, making it six straight losses in potential clinching games.
Adam: Texans. J.J. asked his teammates to all gather round and unleashed upon them 1.21 JJ Watts....AHHHHH!

Detroit Lions @ New Orleans Saints (-4.5)
Lucas: Lions. The Saints' defense is still not that good, so I'm taking the points, but I think they have enough firepower to still win.
Adam: Lions. Really thought about taking the Saints, but I think this is going to end up as a shootout. With AP gone... oh wait, that's not really relevant.

Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings (+3.5)
Lucas: Packers. Pro tip: you should probably give Aaron Rodgers less than 73 seconds to go downfield to win a game.
Adam: Packers. Could be interesting if Bradford is healthy, but I suspect not. You saw what Rodgers did last week with 1:13 and a timeout...
Lucas note:

New England Patriots @ New York Jets (+9.5)
Lucas: Patriots. The Renaissance has to be coming at some point. With a week and a half for Darth Hoodie to prepare? I'll lay the points.
Adam: Patriots. Oh tough... not. Lay the points and move on. IT'S THE JETS.

San Francisco 49ers @ Washington Redskins (-9.5) 
Lucas: 49ers. I know San Francisco isn't very good, but I don't think Washington has any business being a double digit favorite right now.
Adam: 49ers. Not sure; don't love the line, the Skins have not been all that impressive and have some injuries to deal with as well.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Los Angeles Rams @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-2.5)
Lucas: Rams. I'm telling you, there's a pattern! The Jags blew out the Steelers last week, so naturally they're going to regress this week and Blake Bortles will throw a key pick-six late in the game or something.
Adam: Jaguars. So we have new new school (Fournette) up against old new school (Gurley). The Rams have been good, but I like the Jags at home here.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Arizona Cardinals (+2.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. Yeah, I don't think bringing on Pope Switch I is going to improve your run game all that much.
Adam: Buccaneers. Wait, you have Palmer, AP and Fitz? Super Bowl here we come! ...Wait, wrong year...

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Kansas City Chiefs (-3.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. I think it's too early to say Big Ben doesn't have it anymore. Facing a very good Chiefs team doesn't help matters.
Adam: Chiefs. Really want something to stop KC, but I don't see that being this less than impressive Pitt team... oh, and Big Ben was not so big last week only scoring 2.5 points fantasy last week... Pitt-iful.

Los Angeles Chargers @ Oakland Raiders (-6.5)
Lucas: Chargers. In my fantasy league, I drafted Amari Cooper in the third round. He has done absolutely nothing for three weeks. The first two kind of made sense; last week not as much. That combined with EJ Manuel... give me the points.
Adam: Chargers. Wow, two teams that want to be in LA, but neither is really wanted or welcomed. Taking the points in this game plain and simple.

Sunday Night

New York Giants @ Denver Broncos (-12.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Tuesday I saw a Facebook memory of a set of picks from 2013, which included the time the Peyton Manning-led Broncos were four touchdown favorites over the Jaguars. Like an idiot, I took the Broncos. This game is similar, but the line is much more reasonable. Given that the Giants are without basically all their receivers, I don't think a 13 point margin of victory is asking a lot.
Adam: Broncos. Yes, I'm giving 12.5 points at home against who? Manning... no not that Manning. I see a slaughter coming here.

Monday Night

Indianapolis Colts @ Tennessee Titans (-3.5)
Lucas: Titans. Andrew Luck is still out of commission, and while Marcus Mariota is also out of commission, the Colts aren't that good. Also, this is a pick against the Vice President's publicity stunt to pander to the TrumpBots. This whole thing is stupid.
Adam: Titans. Tough. I would take Indy if Luck was back, but apparently he was more hurt than originally thought. I want/hope DeMarco Murray runs circles on Monday and take me home to 5-1 in Fantasy.
Lucas note: A flesh wound? Your arm's off!

Records So Far
Lucas: 37-40 (9-5 last week)
Adam: 42-35 (7-7 last week)
Scott: 28-49 (4-10 last week)
Geoffrey: 43-34 (9-5 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment