Thursday, October 5, 2017

2017 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 5

I had a good week last week as the coalition continued its quest to correctly pick NFL games against the spread. Unfortunately, Adam was better for the fourth straight week. He took three of our five disputed games... and even that took a ridiculous finish for me to salvage a second one. But more on that in a bit.

Through 63 games and four weeks I currently sit in third place in the coalition thanks to my dad having back to back awful weeks. Adam sits in first place a game ahead of Geoffrey Clark, who has gone hero eight times and gotten seven of them right. You can view a full breakdown of our picks in relation to each other here. You can also check our full standings page here, just bear in mind that Adam has two more correct games than what ESPN says he does based on his picks here.

This week, we're onto the byes so there are fewer points up for grabs. Adam and I disagree on six games of the fourteen on the docket. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

New England Patriots @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+5.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. I'm sorry, Touchdown Tom, if I'm getting a decent chunk of points with your sieve of a defense, I'm taking them. Please don't sic Clarence BEEFTANK on me.
Adam: Patriots. Once again I will say simply: Angry Brady.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals (-2.5)
Lucas: Bills. I'm sorry, why are the Bengals favored? The only reason any team in the state of Ohio has a win right now is because the Browns and Bengals just played. And NOBODY CIRCLES THE WAGONS...
Adam: Bills. Not in love with this line. Essentially a pick ’em when you take the customary 3 away from the home Bengals.

New York Jets @ Cleveland Browns (-1.5)
Lucas: Jets. Oh, no. You fooled me as a favorite once, Cleveland. I'm not taking you. Also, your baseball team blew a 3-1 lead in the World Series. I'm getting my baseball potshots in now before the ALDS starts.
Adam: Jets. So who do you like, green garbage or orange garbage? Bursting back onto the radar, Bilal Powel should have another good game here against the Browns.

Carolina Panthers @ Detroit Lions (-2.5)
Lucas: Lions. I forgot; last week I was supposed to make fun of the Lions for extending the idiot known as Jim Caldwell. But then again, he's a decent coach when he's not an absolute coward that costs his team games.
Adam: Lions. I have picked 3 straight road teams. Got to give one to the home team. The Lions seems to have everything going well for them. And now a half way decent run game too.
Lucas note: Last year there was one week I picked like nine road dogs or something like that, with like seven of them in a row. And yeah, I was impressed by their run game against Minnesota last week.

Tennessee Titans @ Miami Dolphins (+2.5)
Lucas: Titans. If it were literally any other team, I would take the points, but it's Jay Cutler. And yes, I realize what I'm betting on.
Adam: Titans. On one hand you have the Titans team that got beaten to an absolute bloody pulp by Houston last week, and on the other you have Jay Smokin’ Cutler... easy choice.
Lucas note: This has to be the ultimate Jay Cutler Don't Care moment.

San Francisco 49ers @ Indianapolis Colts (-1.5)
Lucas: 49ers. There's an inherent risk taking a bad team from the West Coast playing out east, but the Colts are still not very good. Check in in a couple weeks when Captain Andrew Luck returns.
Adam: Colts. All I can say is I hate the 49ers.

Los Angeles Chargers @ New York Giants (-3.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Yes, I realize the issue here too. But the Giants are awful and have given me no reason whatsoever to take them.
Adam: Giants. As much as I don’t want to see OBJ to do OBJ things (playing against him in my big money fantasy league), I think that will be the case here.

Arizona Cardinals @ Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5)
Lucas: Eagles. Arizona playing out east at noon, them being not as good as the Eagles, Carson Wentz (Go Bison) looking pretty good... yeah, why not.
Adam: Eagles. Not liking the line, but once you get past DJ for Arizona, there is not much meat left on the bones. Philly should have no problem slinging the ball around.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-8.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. Tuesday Morning Quarterback has noticed a trend: Jacksonville has won its odd games by blowout, then turned around and either gotten blown out or lost to the Jets. Especially with this line, I'm riding the trend. JuJu, please don't Kamehameha me.
Adam: Steelers. More Cow Bell!!! After a very slow start, probably the extra pounds he had from holding out of training camp, Bell finally gets rolling. And it will not stop this week against the Jags But on a different note, all of a sudden Bortles is looking like a real QB...
Lucas note: At least in London, anyway.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Baltimore Ravens @ Oakland Raiders (-3.5)
Lucas: Ravens. I'm kind of getting some schadenfreude about Ravens fans puffing their chests out after a 2-0 start, then getting curb stomped in London and getting Kamehameha'd by the Steelers. But they're going up against EJ Freaking Manuel and getting more than a field goal. Come on.
Adam: Ravens. Baltimore is coming off a disappointing showing in Pittsburgh, but Oakland is down Carr. After channeling his inner Romo, everyone will be saying, "Dude where’s my Carr?" Backup QB EJ Manuel will do nothing... nothing.

Seattle Seahawks @ Los Angeles Rams (-2.5)
Lucas: Rams. St. Louis/Los Angeles has won four of the last six meetings, and I'm not sold on the Seahawks. I'm sticking with the team that seems to be Seattle's Kryptonite.
Adam: Seahawks. I get that the Rams have been much improved this year and quite frankly surprising everyone. But that will come to a grinding halt here against the stout Seattle D. Going out on a limb and saying Gurley goes for less than 50 total yards and Goff for only about 120 passing.

Green Bay Packers @ Dallas Cowboys (-1.5)
Lucas: Packers. Excuse me, I'm going to deliver this dagger right to the heart of Texas again.
Adam: Packers. Man, I love me some road teams this week (ending up with 9/14 road teams). Dallas only giving 1.5 points... I’ll take the better passer over the better runner all day long.

Sunday Night

Kansas City Chiefs @ Houston Texans (+1.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. We get a nice battle between the two front runners for Offensive Rookie of the Year. Unfortunately for Deshaun Watson, this defense is pretty good.
Adam: Texans. All I can say is I hate the Chiefs. Why did the Skins think they were going to lateral the ball for 80 yards? That has like a one in a million chance of success... So your telling me there’s a chance... fumbled ball picked up by the Chief for a TD lost me a point. Mark my words, if I lose to Lucas by one game, remember that game. And the absolute, lottery like, win that was gifted to the Chiefs.
Lucas note:

Monday Night

Minnesota Vikings @ Chicago Bears (+3.5)
Lucas: Bears. DAT DERE MITCHELL TRUBISKY IS GONNA SEND DA BEARSE TO DA SUPER BOWL MAH FRENTS!
Adam: Bears. Trubisky. (mic – Glennon – drop)


Records So Far
Lucas: 28-35 (9-7 last week)
Adam: 35-28 (10-6 last week)
Scott: 24-39 (5-11 last week)
Geoffrey: 34-29 (9-7 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment