Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Power of a Rivalry

Why do we watch sports? For the thrill? Vicarious living? A distraction for a few hours from stress? Or just because we love the competition? I think in a way, all are right. People have their different reasons for watching. They love to cheer for their team and see them win. And often, cheer against the biggest rival.

So what makes rivalries so important and so loved? History and tradition are a big one. I know it's not heated, but one of my favorite rivalries is the Packers-Bears rivalry that's been going on for almost a century. So much history between the two teams. I hate the Bears, but I respect them as a division opponent Green Bay sees twice a year and a game where each team brings out the best in each other. (Unfortunately, this usually leads to this happening, but the tradeoff is I get glorious plays like this one.)

I love the moments most. They seem to mean more coming against a big rival. Patrick Kane doing Patrick Kane things seemed much bigger coming against Vancouver, and it pissed me off when they won in 7 last year. (Ruined a "SUCK IT LUONGO!" Facebook status.) It pained me in 2009 when Mark DeRosa was traded from Cleveland to St. Louis. I was at his first game as a Cardinal, and it pained me when they cheered him loudly. I was okay with an 0-4 day with a web gem in a loss though.

But being a fan in a rivalry is fun too. I love trash talking with fans of the Bears or the White Sox when something happens against them. But I also have to be prepared to face flak when the Packers or Cubs stumble. It's the nature of the beast, and you have to be prepared to take it if you dish it out. But it's all in good fun, which is where sports belongs in the first place.

And so this afternoon I will be wearing my "Beat Wheaton!" T-shirt from last year to Rockford. The big game for my alma mater in North Central College is today against Wheaton College. Every year they battle for the Little Brass Bell. It's been a long-running rivalry, a friendly one, and it permeates to the fans. While I respect the school, I hate the teams, and it pains me to see the greatest high school quarterback in state history wearing enemy colors. (Seriously, look at these numbers. Are you kidding me?!) I saw 2 1/2 of the 4 Brass Bell games during my time at NCC, and other than blowing the game my freshman year, then won 3 straight to close out my time there. I want to make it 4 in a row. So from Rockford, I will be cheering hard. Beat Wheaton!

No comments:

Post a Comment