Thursday, October 6, 2016

2016 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 5

We're a quarter of the way (give or take) through the NFL season, and our consortium of pickers are all not exactly bunched up, but there's not a huge gap either.

I'm still in last place, but I at least have some company in the basement after blanking on the early Sunday games but sweeping the late games as well as grabbing the Thursday night game to finish with my second straight winning week. Adam had his best week of the year to date, sweeping our three disputed games to go up by four, but he trails my dad by one through four weeks.

If you want to see a breakdown of the picks based on what we've all been picking, you can view a spreadsheet of those stats here. Through four weeks I'm the only person in our group who has yet to go hero, but I've struggled everywhere else a little bit. Hopefully my luck continues this week and I can close the gap with the leaders.

There are only 14 games this week thanks to byes, and Adam and I disagree on seven of those games. Let's take a look at the week.

Thursday Night

Arizona Cardinals @ San Francisco 49ers (+2.5) 
Lucas: 49ers. Carson Palmer isn't making the trip, which means Drew Stanton is starting. Give me the points, because if Arizona is bad with Palmer, how much worse off are they with Stanton?
Adam: Cardinals. I know that Palmer is out but with the beast that is DJ, nothing should stop him tonight.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Chicago Bears @ Indianapolis Colts (-4.5)
Lucas: Bears. I must be going insane, but the Colts' defense is awful. Even without Kevin White, if Brian Hoyer could play competent football against the Lions' secondary, he's going to torch Indy.
Adam: Colts. How did the Bears win last week? I am still in shock. But Indy is a much better team than Detroit in my opinion and the Bears will not stand a chance.

New England Patriots @ Cleveland Browns (+10.5)
Lucas: Patriots. The Tom Brady Revenge Tour begins, and in Cleveland of all places. They almost can't make this line high enough.
Adam: Patriots. I should take the points, but let me explain: Brady... Angry Brady.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Detroit Lions (+2.5)
Lucas: Eagles. Philly has the league's best scoring defense and Carson Wentz (Go Bison), and Detroit is falling back where they belong.
Adam: Eagles. They have really impressed me so far this year and their defense has stood up. Yes it's on the road, but I like them.
Lucas note: *Jon Gruden slight arm raise*

Tennessee Titans @ Miami Dolphins (-3.5)
Lucas: Titans. Yuck, this game. I'm taking the points and leaving this game alone.
Adam: Titans. The Fins have not been that impressive this year. I mean, they went to OT with Cleveland, how bad is that? Plus I like Mariota this week. Yes, it is because I have to start him this week in fantasy since my main QB is on bye.

Houston Texans @ Minnesota Vikings (-6.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Well, now that Minnesota has a really good up on home field advantage in the NFC four weeks in, I'm terrified.
Adam: Vikings. Wow, have they looked good this year. Bradford seems to have found a place he likes. Now if he can just stay healthy...

New York Jets @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-7.5)
Lucas: Jets. Look, you and I both know there's only one reason I'm picking against Pittsburgh this week.
Adam: Steelers. Forte is a little banged up and the Jets run D has not been what it has been in the past too. I see Bell flying around.
Lucas note: You mean... like a bee?! KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GODDAMN HONEY!

Washington Redskins @ Baltimore Ravens (-3.5)
Lucas: Ravens. I still think Washington isn't very good, and the Ravens are 3-1, with the one loss coming to a pretty good Oakland team. That said, I cannot for the life of me understand why shooting an imaginary bow and arrow is worth 15 yards and $10,000. [expletive] you, Goodell.
Adam: Redskins. Maybe the Ravens can figure out if they want Forsett or not. Wow you’re in, no you’re out, no you’re in, no wait just kidding – you’re OUT.
Lucas note:
Sunday, Late Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Denver Broncos (-6.5)
Lucas: Broncos. I'm torn on this one, because a touchdown is a lot to ask against a ridiculous offense. Of course, the last time I was thinking about taking a prolific offense against Denver's defense, Peyton Manning rode off into the sunset with the Lombardi Trophy after his defense played out of its mind. No way Julio goes for 300 again.
Adam: Falcons. Tough call. Atlanta has been having a great season so far, I mean Matty Ice does have the most passing yards, and Den is down to its 2nd string rookie QB. Could be interesting with Denver's defense, but I like the points here.

Buffalo Bills @ Los Angeles Rams (-2.5)
Lucas: Bills. Riding the momentum out of Foxboro, even though the Rams may be better than we thought.
Adam: Bills. How are the Rams favored? I just unloaded Gurley in Fantasy, that how much I like anything LA right now.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Dallas Cowboys (+0.5)
Lucas: Bengals. Well, the Cowboys have matched their win total at home from last year. They've also matched Alabama's win total in that building for the season, but are still one win behind since the start of the 2015 season.
Adam: Cowboys. Since it is now Facebook official, Dallas will soon be my new home. So I've got to pick my new city... right?
Lucas note: ...

San Diego Chargers @ Oakland Raiders (-4.5)
Lucas: Raiders. San Diego is awful and the Raiders are pretty good.
Adam: Raiders. Not sure why.

Sunday Night

New York Giants @ Green Bay Packers (-7.5)
Lucas: Giants. I know Green Bay is coming off the bye and Mike McCarthy is 8-2 in games coming off the bye, but I think a touchdown is too much, especially given the history of the Giants at Lambeau. Taking the points and praying I'm wrong.
Adam: Packers. The Packers playing at the Gates of Hell (Lucas please fix, I don’t know how to spell L@#&*$!) after an early bye week against the underperforming Giants. I’ll give some points and go with Green Bay.


Monday Night

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Carolina Panthers (-3.5) 
Lucas: Panthers. Well, hopefully we won't have a delay this week. Not that it should matter. Carolina gets back on track.
Adam: Panthers. Maybe this can be the game where we see the real Panthers show up. 

Records Last Week
Lucas: 28-35 (8-7 last week)
Adam: 32-31 (11-4 last week)
Scott: 31-32 (6-9 last week)
Grant: 33-30 (10-5 last week)
Logan: 28-35 (6-9 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment