Thursday, October 27, 2016

2016 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 8

It's a little crazy to think we're almost halfway through the NFL season, but here we are.

Our consortium continues to plug along, with Adam still holding onto first place, though his lead is a little tenuous at this point. He had a bit of a down Week 7 as I took three of our five disputed games to narrow the gap between the top and the bottom to eight games, though I've almost caught up to my dad for fourth place. Gotta start somewhere.

You can view a full breakdown of our picks in relation to each other here. We haven't done very well on consensus picks this season, and Adam is largely in the lead thanks to going 5-6 on hero picks thus far.

This week, Adam and I disagree on a whopping eight games out of the 13 being played due to byes. It's a huge chance for me to continue to try to bite into his lead and make things interesting as we approach the second half of our season. Either that, or Adam is a genius and I'll be out of the running. Hopefully the former.

Thursday Night

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Tennessee Titans (-3.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. I'm just taking the points and not paying any attention to this game because f*** Goodell and whatever idiot decided the Color Rush was a good idea. I agree wholeheartedly with you, Blake. These suck.
Adam: Titans. I just cannot trust anything in Jacksonville right now. Bortles sucks, Robinson sucks, who is the RB there? Doesn’t matter.

Sunday Morning

Washington Redskins vs Cincinnati Bengals (-2.5)
Lucas: Bengals. I debated about reviving Kirk's old "You like that!" meme with hopes of him doing it in a British accent this Sunday, but I was too transfixed by A.J. Green doing A.J. Green things.
Adam: Bengals. Only 2.5? Only 2.5... I guess with the way both teams have played this year so far I can understand the line. Cincy has been quite a disappointment, but wow, I still think they are better than -2.5.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

New England Patriots @ Buffalo Bills (+6.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Let's see, Tom Brady Revenge Tour, a chance to avenge their only loss so far this season, and Gronk is just two touchdowns away from a magical universe? Sign me up.
Adam: Bills. Going against the crowd. I just like the Buffalo defense and I think we could be in for an interestingly high or low scoring game. So I just don’t like the line. Taking the points and chalking this on up.
Lucas note: ...

New York Jets @ Cleveland Browns (+3.5)
Lucas: Browns. Yes, Ryan, I can understand you being pissed about this offseason. But you've been awful this year. Quit your whining about "lost faith."
Adam: Jets. I cannot and will not support anything Cleveland any longer. Go Cubs.
Lucas note:

Detroit Lions @ Houston Texans (-2.5)
Lucas: Lions. I have no idea how this is a fumble. I mean, I kind of do, but it's a weird one. But when you have that, combined with a generally bad season so far, I'm going to take the points.
Adam: Lions. How can you trust Brock? I mean, what the hell is a name like Brock? All I can think of is candy not football. How could you have spent 72 (yes, 72) million dollars on this jamoke?
Lucas note: You mention the "what kind of name is Brock?" and I think of Brock from Pokémon, which just opened up a rabbit hole I really need to bury, because I have no idea who the hell Jynx is in this scenario. Fortunately someone made a less scarring Photoshop.

Kansas City Chiefs @ Indianapolis Colts (+2.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. I still have no faith in the Colts' defense, even against Captain Checkdown.
Adam: Colts. I just like Luck better than Smith... that simple and it doesn’t hurt to get 2.5 at home either.

Oakland Raiders @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-0.5)
Lucas: Raiders. Oakland is already 3-0 in noon games this season, and I refuse to shut up about the whole "Oakland flipping the West Coast teams playing early narrative" thing until they drop one.
Adam: Buccaneers. Bucking the ESPN stats. I just don’t like the pick ’em status of this game. Oakland is ok, Tampa is ok; I'm deferring to the home team with the QB/WR combo of Winston/Evans that I like better.

Seattle Seahawks @ New Orleans Saints (+3.5)
Lucas: Saints. This was the last game I picked, and I changed my pick in my head somewhere between 3 and 372 times. While the Saints aren't that great, I'm not 100 percent sold on Seattle after they failed to beat Arizona (albeit on the road), it's an early game, and Drew Brees could have a vintage Drew Brees game looming. I'll take the points.
Adam: Saints. The Legion of Boom goes boom in New Orleans. It comes down to home Brees against the legion, and Brees takes it for me. I will also take the 3.5 points, thank you very much and cash those in the bank...

Arizona Cardinals @ Carolina Panthers (-2.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Usually Adam and I don't discuss anything pertaining to picks before he sends me his, but we were both a little flabbergasted on Tuesday when the lines dropped that Carolina was favored. Do the Vegas people know something we don't? Because the Panthers are awful.
Adam: Cardinals. Last year I would have salivated for this matchup, but this year it may be a bust. DJ seems to be running the plays for all intents and purposes so I have to go with that stud.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos (-5.5)
Lucas: Broncos. The Chargers are bad and the Broncos are pretty good. Though this week I am a Charger fan... well, an ACC Charger fan because f*** Wheaton Academy.
Adam: Chargers. For Aiden... I was making my picks watching the Cubbies beat the Indians in Game 2. I asked Aiden to pick the games for me. He likes all of the "bigger line" but I talked him out of most. That I did not agree with... this was the only game he picked the "smaller line." Fate, I say...

Green Bay Packers @ Atlanta Falcons (-2.5)
Lucas: Falcons. I should drive up to Green Bay and offer my services for their secondary. I mean, Julio Jones will torch me for 20 catches, 497 yards and eight touchdowns, but I might be able to tip one pass and provide a little depth for a ridiculously depleted team. I'm off the #FireCapers bandwagon and on the #FireTheTrainingStaff bandwagon. This is ridiculous.
Adam: Falcons. Green Bay just does not look like Green Bay; on the road, down Lacy and with Rodgers not playing at his peak... Matty Ice for the W.

Sunday Night

Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys (-4.5)
Lucas: Eagles. This was a tough call because the Cowboys appear legit this season. But the Eagles haven't been bad, just shut down Minnesota, and they're getting points in primetime. I'll ride Carson Wentz (Go Bison) with the cushion.
Adam: Cowboys. Roll the Dallas star: my new home in about 2 months.
Lucas note: I already played this card once, but if you insist...

Monday Night

Minnesota Vikings @ Chicago Bears (+6.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Pit a motivated Minnesota team against a Bears team that could only manage 10 points against a depleted Packers team, and I only have to lay a touchdown? I can get in on that.
Adam: Bears. For Aiden... he requested demanded I select the Bears. I am going against my rule, but hey, blood is thicker than spreads... right? Whhhaaatt...?

Records So Far
Lucas: 48-59 (7-8 last week)
Adam: 56-51 (6-9 last week)
Scott: 49-58 (5-10 last week)
Grant: 54-53 (7-8 last week)
Logan: 52-55 (9-6 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment