Thursday, November 5, 2015

2015 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 9

Things are evening out a bit, at least on a one-week basis amongst the coalition as we reach the halfway point of the season.

With eight weeks in the books, Adam is still firmly in the lead amongst our little group, though I'm kind of hanging around, and we have to remember that I had a bigger lead a little later in the season last year that I nearly blew, only to hang on by the slimmest of margins in Week 17. I'm hoping I can complete a similar comeback in the second half.

I didn't do myself any favors last week, as Adam got the back door cover on Monday night to take four of the seven disputed games. Money line-wise, Adam is up about $350 on the year, while I'm failing miserably, down almost $1500. Good thing I only laid down $20 on two Week 1 games while in Vegas and the rest of this is all hypothetical...

We had a rare moment of groupthink this week, and actually, one of the best examples we've seen yet. Adam and I disagree on just two games this week, which is a season low and might be a low in our 26 weeks doing this. Here are our thoughts for Week 9.

Thursday Night

Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals (-10.5)
Lucas: Browns. About time Johnny Football gets a chance to actually play. I'm still not convinced he'll be that great a quarterback, but he's got a higher ceiling than Josh McCown.
Adam: Browns. Invoking the “I’ll take the points” strategy here; though I have said it before, and I will say it again: the Browns are better than expected this year. They hung close to Denver a couple of weeks ago and even had a lead on Arizona last week.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Miami Dolphins @ Buffalo Bills (-2.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Things seem much easier when you aren't facing Touchdown Tom, don't they?
Adam: Dolphins. Give the new coach his first win…but also the Bills suck this year.
Lucas note: Where have you been? He's 2-1...

Green Bay Packers @ Carolina Panthers (+2.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Taking the Packers to win straight up over on UKEndZone, but covering my bases here. This is probably all just a gross overreaction to the Denver loss, but I can't get it out of my head.
Adam: Panthers. The Panthers are getting no love from the Vegas odds makers. Green Bay's coming off an embarrassing loss and Carolina squeaking by at home would make you think blow-out by the Packers. But I must say, I was very impressed with Cam and also that game was played in less than ideal conditions.

Tennessee Titans @ New Orleans Saints (-7.5)
Lucas: Saints. Godspeed, Ken Whisenhunt. And good luck, Mike Mularkey. You're going to need it.
Adam: Saints. Oh when the Saints... come marching in... you know the rest. Looks like Brees and Co. have finally put whatever it was behind them and are ready to fire. Also the Titans are not that great... awful in fact.

Oakland Raiders @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-4.5)
Lucas: Raiders. I'm not convinced the Steelers will be able to stop that Carr to Cooper connection enough. Taking the points with the possibility of an upset. Get well soon, Le'Veon.
Adam: Raiders. I want more cowbell... damn, never mind. Right when everything was looking back up for the black and yellow, this happens. Raiders are rolling.

St. Louis Rams @ Minnesota Vikings (-2.5)
Lucas: Rams. While Minnesota's pass protection is improved over last year to some degree, they're still among the higher teams in the league in terms of sacks taken. Don't get killed, Teddy.
Adam: Rams. Gurley. No other words are needed.
Lucas note: Agreed. (scroll down to midseason All Pros)

Washington Redskins @ New England Patriots (-13.5)
Lucas: Redskins. I realize I'm picking against Tom Brady at home, but two touchdowns? That's a lot, and leaves a pretty wide door open for a back door cover and Kirk Cousins doing Kirk Cousins things.

Lucas note: Okay, I just wanted an excuse to throw in this Vine a week late because of course this would come out during their bye week.
Adam: Patriots. Violating the rule I invoked for the Thursday night game. But damn, the Pats are all but unstoppable right now. Until something happens to one or more of the players, I don’t see how they don’t win every game by at least a touchdown.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ New York Jets (-6.5)
Lucas: Jets. We're still due for another clunker from Ryan Fitzpatrick, but I don't see it coming against the Jaguars, even though Jacksonville might be starting to figure things out a little bit.
Adam: Jets. Ivory gets rolling again after a touch match up last week. But let’s see what Smith can do from under center... probably not a whole lot.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ San Francisco 49ers (+6.5)
Lucas: Falcons. I think we've been overrating the Falcons for much of the season, but on the other side... Colin Kaepernick... Blaine Gabbert... same thing.
Adam: Falcons. Kaepernick benched for Grubby hands... or whatever his name is. Haha, I have to laugh. Behind Foles, Kaepernick was my second most hated QB in the league. I wonder if San Francisco wants Alex Smith back...
Lucas note: I'll have this on back order for you, but I could only fit 10 characters.

New York Giants @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5)
Lucas: Giants. I'm just going to assume the Giants remembered how to defense this week. I mean, there's no way they'll give up seven passing touchdowns in a single game again... right?
Adam: Giants. Even with Tampa off a solid win against Atlanta last week, the Giants' D is better than Atlanta’s so I cannot see the Bucs getting anything going this week.

Denver Broncos @ Indianapolis Colts (+3.5)
Lucas: Broncos. So Roger Goodell is going to commission a biased report to figure out that Andrew Luck was at least generally aware that he had broken ribs and it wasn't going to show up on the injury report, thus resulting in a million dollar fine and lost first round pick for the Colts as well as a four game suspension for Andrew Luck (even though the more appropriate punishment in this situation would be to continue to make him play through it) for violating the integrity of the game, right? Or is that just a Patriots thing because Goodell is a corrupt tyrant who will make a mountain out of flat ground and ignore an arguably bigger issue?
Adam: Broncos. Manning looked great last week and now has a new offensive weapon that should spring Thomas and Sanders more on the outside for big yards.

Sunday Night

Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys (+2.5)
Lucas: Eagles. I watched the end of the Cowboys-Seahawks game on Sunday and one thing stuck out to me: Matt Cassel is awful. That last drive was an embarrassment to football. I'm a little shocked Jerrah hasn't forced Romo back into service out of desperation. I mean, look at this!
Adam: Cowboys. Run... Run... Run DMC. Boom.

Monday Night

Chicago Bears @ San Diego Chargers (-3.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Phillip Rivers is going to torch this defense, even if the Bolts are shorthanded. Get well soon, Keenan Allen.
Adam: Chargers. Even down Allen the Chargers will win this game easy.

Records So Far
Lucas: 55-64 (7-7 last week)
Adam: 65-54 (8-6 last week)
Geoffrey: 58-61 (10-4 last week)
Scott: 53-66 (5-9 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment