Thursday, November 6, 2014

COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 10

We're back at it again following a very successful week!

Adam tried a very different strategy last week with the bye and the fact that he'd been struggling. It actually worked very well for him. I think for the first time ever in Pick 'Em history, we swept our unanimous picks, and even the several we disagreed on turned out to be pretty balanced. My lead grew, but Adam made me work for it; I ended up getting five of the eight right en route to my second straight week of double-digit wins.

In a weird twist if you look at the standings, Adam is actually closer than listed. He forgot to get his picks in on ESPN, but the post was in on time, so I gave him credit for picking the Saints over the Panthers for the Thursday Night game. This makes three points more than ESPN claims he has. I give him the benefit of the doubt if he goofs on here; it's the least I can do.

This week, we see the final London game of 2014 and a renewed rivalry, if we can even call it that at this point (I still will, probably forever). With six teams on their bye, we again have 13 games to choose from. Adam and I disagree on seven of them. Can he close the gap?

Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals (-6.5)
Lucas: Bengals. Devon Still is on the 53-man roster, and his daughter will be at the game. I'm invoking the "Don't bet against God, puppies, or first home games involving cancer survivors" rule for this one.
Adam: Bengals. With some injuries (Cameron for the Browns and Bernard for the Bengals), it will be a fight of depth in this game. To me, that is worth a TD to the Bengals.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+0.5)
Lucas: Falcons. I mean... that 56-14 beatdown has to account for something.
Adam: Buccaneers. I see this one being a shoot-out with some pretty big numbers being put up for both sides. It’s about time Ryan and Jones hook up again in a fire storm. But I think young back Rainey will make it rain. Prediction: 18-120-1.
Adam note: After taking a break last week to enjoy the sideline views I am back with a prediction.  To date I am 3.5-4.5.  Time to get on the winning side again.

Kansas City Chiefs @ Buffalo Bills (+1.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Maybe we all shouldn't have ruled out KC this season... 
Adam: Chiefs. Certainly the Bills have been doing much better since changing QBs but it comes down to can which offense do I trust more right now, and that goes to the Chiefs.

Dallas Cowboys vs Jacksonville Jaguars (+7.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. I kind of want to see what the British NFL fans will have to say about Brandon Weeden. On a related note, I am so happy that we have 2012-13 Brandon Weeden back.
Adam: Cowboys. Coming off two losses and the first sub-100 yd game for Murray, I see them coming back in a big way against. Murray should easily get back to 100+ yd rushing. 
Adam note: Bonus prediction - with Romo in question for this week, I see Dallas hitting the ground hard no matter who is under center. Murray for 3 TDs.

Miami Dolphins @ Detroit Lions (-2.5)
Lucas: Lions. With a week of rest, healing and planning, Miami might have trouble in this one.
Adam: Dolphins. Detroit has not looked all that great, just being able to take down ATL last time out with a last second FG in which they had to have a re-do in order to hit it.  I am going with my gut here and my gut says the party will be in South Beach Sunday.
Lucas note: You have a point there. In handing out awards to NFC North players and staff last week for UKEndzone, I refused to give Jim Caldwell Coach of the First Half for the way he bungled the end of that game.

Tennessee Titans @ Baltimore Ravens (-9.5)
Lucas: Titans. Taking the points given Baltimore's recent struggles.
Adam: Titans. It’s not quite double digits, but it is basically there. No question to me that the Ravens win, but I think they will have a lead late and put in second stringers allowing the Titans to come back late and cover.

San Francisco 49ers @ New Orleans Saints (-4.5)
Lucas: Saints. Look, the NFC South is bad. The Saints, however... might be onto something here. Plus, it's at the Superdome.
Adam: Saints. A wise man, Lucas (ok, maybe not so wise... haha), once told me that the Saints are a very different team at home than they are away. I think I have to listen to that advice and go with the home favorite.
Lucas note: He's learning! ...hey...

Pittsburgh Steelers @ New York Jets (+4.5)
Lucas: Steelers. I crunched some numbers. In 2004, Peyton Manning set a post-merger (and probably all time) record for most touchdown passes in a three-game span in a single season with 15. Ben Roethlisberger needs four to pass that record. And he's playing the Jets. He could have that record by halftime.
Adam: Steelers. Could Big Ben ring for 6 again? Unlikely, but certainly will have a fighting chance against the leaky Jets secondary.  I still think he gets 3 TDs, and that would put him with 15TD in 3 weeks…how is that possible?

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Denver Broncos @ Oakland Raiders (+11.5) 
Lucas: Raiders. Normally I'd say a great cure for a tough loss would be facing the Raiders the following week. Amazingly though, Oakland has been able to cover against some tough teams this year, including at New England. Give me the points. 
Adam: Broncos. A wise man (not Lucas) once told me to take the points when they are over 10.  Normally would listen to that advice.  But the Broncos are a throw first run - second offense and will also not let up with any lead.  Though I will probably regret it come Sunday night, I am still laying the points.

St. Louis Rams @ Arizona Cardinals (-7.5)
Lucas: Rams. I really like my Arizona pick for the playoffs this season. That said, the Rams have beaten both the Niners and Seahawks this season. I'm going to keep this one in my pocket as a possible upset special.
Adam: Cardinals. The three headed committee in St. Louis will not allow them to find the Sorcerer Stone.

Lucas note: Who told you about Fluffy?
 
New York Giants @ Seattle Seahawks (-9.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Seattle hasn't really put together a complete game in quite some time. Playing at home against a bad team might help with that, even if Eli isn't going to throw five picks again.
Adam: Giants. Upset special here. The Giants seems to be a team that is firing only once every few weeks. After quite a poor performance the past few weeks, I think this may just be the game they need in order to make some noise. 

Sunday Night

Chicago Bears @ Green Bay Packers (-7.5)
Lucas: Packers. This is going to be fun.
Adam: Bears. Quick, someone throw some cheese maybe that will distract them and the Bears can win... OK, let’s be honest with each other for a second. The Bears looked like crap for the 1st half of the season, are going into enemy territory, have some injury issues... oh and I think Jay may have found out some pretty important news.
Lucas note: Adam was the one who found this, not me. Either way, this is awesome.

Monday Night

Carolina Panthers @ Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5)
Lucas: Eagles. I told Rascal he should probably stop betting on the Panthers. Yes, I realize I'm betting on Mark Sanchez.
Adam: Eagles. Someone strike up the band… [listening to music]… Ladies and gentlemen, I think Christmas came early for me. Nick Foles is not going to be under center. For that reason alone I am picking the Eagles. Oh, and I am going to make a dang quasedilla.
Lucas note:


Records So Far
Lucas: 75-57 (10-3 last week)
Adam: 63-69 (8-5 last week)
Rascal: 0-2 (0-1 last week)
Arnie: 1-0 (1-0 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment