Sunday, September 4, 2016

2016 NFC South Preview

We're onto the second half of our NFL predictions for the upcoming season. I'm on track to finish these up by Wednesday, giving me a day to spare and do Week 1 picks.

I'm going around in a clockwise circle of sorts, going division by division with my picks and alternating conferences daily. Today, we're onto the South divisions, and we start again with the NFC.

Before I preview this division, one more time I want to make a shameless plug for the weekly picks. I will be joined again this year by Adam Quinn, who beat me handily last season and is returning to defend his crown. If you want to try to beat us, you can join our ESPN Pigskin Pick 'Em group.

Without further ado, here's our preview.


NFC South

Common opponents on schedule: NFC West, AFC West

1. Carolina Panthers
2015: 15-1 (1st), lost Super Bowl 50
After romping through almost everyone last year but falling on the biggest stage, Carolina returns much of its core from last season. Cam Newton will also have all of his weapons, as Kelvin Benjamin is back at wide receiver. It adds more to their offense, while the defense should still be really good thanks to an elite front seven. I do think they're going to miss Josh Norman though, and while there's going to be a dropoff from last year, it's not going to be huge.
2016 Prediction: 12-4

2. Atlanta Falcons
2015: 8-8 (2nd), missed playoffs
Mohammed Sanu will be a solid #2 receiver opposite Julio Jones, and this offense is going to score plenty of points. It's when we get to this defense that I have concerns. There aren't really any names that strike fear into my heart, and last year's group was average. They'll be around where they were last year, and outside of the elite tier in the NFC, that's still good enough to challenge for a wild card berth.
2016 Prediction: 9-7

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2015: 6-10 (4th), missed playoffs
Lovie Smith is gone, but this team is still tentatively starting Chris Conte at safety. I don't know what to tell you. There are some decent pieces on defense, but nothing really outstanding. The offense is in solid shape, as I figure Jameis Winston will improve in year two thanks to a couple solid receivers and a good running back in Doug Martin. I'd chalk them up for maybe a one game improvement, given the tough schedule, but that's about it.
2016 Prediction: 7-9

4. New Orleans Saints
2015: 7-9 (3rd), missed playoffs
Drew Brees still has at least another year or two of throwing for 5000 yards left in him, and he has some decent weapons to throw to to make this happen. They also have old Green Bay fan favorite John Kuhn to play fullback, for all the impact that will have. I'm not really sold on the defense though. They some decent players at safety, and a couple pieces in the front seven that aren't bad, but I'm not sold on this unit as a whole. It's clear the window in New Orleans has closed, but Brees will keep this team competitive.
2016 Prediction: 5-11

No comments:

Post a Comment