Thursday, December 1, 2016

2016 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 13

Thanksgiving was largely kind to the coalition, as we chug along to the conclusion of the third quarter of our season. We like our group, Logan is our leader in the clubhouse, and we have a lot of football left to play.

I continue to be fascinated by the breakdown of our group's picks so far. Adam has had tremendous success in hero picks, but he finds himself three games out of the lead at this stage. Last week he had Aiden pick for him, and the kid came through pretty well: of our record 12 disputed games, we split those evenly down the middle. Aiden also went hero five times, winning three games. You should be very proud of your son, Adam.

We get our final byes this week, which makes sense because the number of games played is odd. I also had taken a game out of Grant's picks last week because he forgot to pick the Thursday night game in Week 11. Logan did that with the Detroit-Minnesota game last week, but the rest of us were split between the two teams. So I took my dad's advice and counted those as losses.

This week, Adam and I disagree on only six games out of the 15 being played. Let's see if I can climb out of this fourth place hole.

Thursday Night

Dallas Cowboys @ Minnesota Vikings (+3.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. This looked like a fantastic matchup a month and a half ago. Now, after blowing two games to Jim Freaking Caldwell, this is just a game that I'm going to avoid because the Vikings' Color Rush uniforms are awful.
Lucas note: Come on, NFL, just do away with Thursday night games. Or if you're going to insist on these debacles, add an 18th week to the NFL season with a second bye for every team the week before they play on a Thursday.
Adam: Cowboys. No, this is not me being a traitor. The 3.5 line seems way too low for the way that the Cowboys have been playing this year... they have 2 legitimate rookie of the year contenders.
Lucas note: Not a traitor move, because you're absolutely right.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Kansas City Chiefs @ Atlanta Falcons (-3.5)
Lucas: Falcons.This was a tough call, but when you need the entirety of overtime to escape with a win by the absolute narrowest of margins, I'm laying the points. Also, Atlanta's offense >>>> Denver's offense.
Adam: Chiefs. Probably going against the grain here... just feel this one.

San Francisco 49ers @ Chicago Bears (-2.5)
Lucas: 49ers. Okay, Matt Barkley did look all right last week, and the Niners are terrible, but the Bears are a dumpster fire. Taking the points and watching to see how the Bears screw this one up.
Adam: 49ers. I cannot even... how are the Bears favored...HOW!?!?!?!

Philadelphia Eagles @ Cincinnati Bengals (+1.5)
Lucas: Bengals. As much as I still like Carson Wentz (Go Bison), Cincy at home getting a point and a half is pretty tempting. I'm going to take it.
Adam: Eagles. The Bengals have been mediocre this year and have suffered several injuries in the past few weeks... I just don't see how Philly does not kill the Bengals.

Denver Broncos @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+5.5)
Lucas: Broncos. This just in: the Jaguars are still bad.
Adam: Broncos. After a disappointing lost last week to KC, Denver should get back on the horse (haha) and roll Jacksonville.
Lucas note:

Detroit Lions @ New Orleans Saints (-5.5)
Lucas: Saints. Because this is a sentiment I share with my dad.

Adam: Saints. Saints only by 5.5! That is crazy. I see this getting way out of hand. Brees coming off a Brees-like game with 4 passing scores and even ran one in himself.

Houston Texans @ Green Bay Packers (-5.5)
Lucas: Packers. WE'RE BACK, BABY! ALL HAIL THE MYSTERY TENT!
Adam: Packers. Pack attack... looks like they are back. And can we just take a moment to admire the pass/catch from Rodgers to Adams last Monday night?
Lucas note: IT'S SO PRETTY!

Los Angeles Rams @ New England Patriots (-13.5)
Lucas: Patriots. I originally took the points because two touchdowns is a lot, even in Foxboro. But with the Rams being upset with Eric Dickerson over legitimate criticism of the team... Karma's a female dog, Jeff Fisher.
Adam: Adam: Rams. Wow, 13.5 Pts. The Rams' D has shown up at some pretty crazy times (against Seattle in Week 2, for example), Goff seems like he is doing ok... and maybe the Eric Dickerson spat is just want the Rams needed. Fire Jeff Fisher.

Miami Dolphins @ Baltimore Ravens (-3.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Miami is 7-4 and sneaky good. Getting points? Please and thank you.
Adam: Dolphins. I just seem to not get the Ravens this year... I sense they are a better team than I think, I just cannot seem to know how to pick their games.
Lucas note: Sounds like me and the Giants in the Coughlin years.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Buffalo Bills @ Oakland Raiders (-3.5)
Lucas: Raiders. Buffalo isn't that good. I'm just impressed with how good the Raiders are this season.
Adam: Raiders. Now this should be a fun game... I cannot believe I just said that. I know that statement would not have been uttered from my mouth in the past 3 years... what is the NFL coming to?
Lucas note:

New York Giants @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-5.5)
Lucas: Giants. Pittsburgh has been something of a disappointment this season, after I figured they'd be challenging New England for the top of the AFC. I'm not entirely sure why the line is this high, but I'm taking the points and running.
Adam: Steelers. This game will really depend on which OBJ and Manning show up.

Washington Redskins @ Arizona Cardinals (-2.5)
Lucas: Redskins. So... Vegas thinks the Cardinals and Redskins are dead even? Am I missing something? Do they think Arizona is going to break out this week or something? I'm confused.
Adam: Redskins. Yes, DJ will do his DJ things and have 100+ from scrimmage before half... but man, the Skins are doing just fine this year.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ San Diego Chargers (-3.5)
Lucas: Chargers. It's pretty tempting to take the points with Tampa the way they've played the last few weeks, but I underestimated the Chargers for too long. That's not a mistake I intend to repeat.
Adam: Buccaneers. The line is only 3.5... I am not sure which way to go. I like the Winston-Evans combo best though.

Sunday Night

Carolina Panthers @ Seattle Seahawks (-6.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. I'm not going to overreact to Seattle's shocking loss this past week. The way Carolina has played, and especially given this game is in Seattle, I'm sticking with the Seahawks. Also, Richard Sherman is a genius.
Adam: Panthers. 6.5!!! I see a lower scoring affair here...

Monday Night

Indianapolis Colts @ New York Jets (+2.5)
Lucas: Colts. The Jets suck, but do you know what doesn't suck? Captain Andrew Luck.
Adam: Colts. Wow, so I picked 11 of 15 home teams... I guess this is a good week to be on the road.

Records So Far
Lucas: 86-91 (10-6 last week)
Adam: 90-87 (10-6 last week)
Aiden: 11-7 (10-6 last week)
Scott: 84-93 (9-7 last week)
Grant: 87-90 (7-9 last week)
Logan: 93-84 (11-5 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment