Thursday, December 22, 2016

2016 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 16

We've got just two weeks left in this NFL season, and the playoff picture is clearing up. The standings of our consortium, however, are far less clear.

One thing that is clear, however, is that my hot streak continues. Adam went into desperation mode last week, and he did all right, but I still took five of our eight disputed games to build a four game lead on him and pull to within three of the group lead. If you want a look at a breakdown of how we've all been picking in relation to each other, you can view that here.

Last week I'd also mentioned that we had a goof up on ESPN where Adam picked contrary to what he is on record here as picking. He did it again this past week, but fortunately, it went the opposite direction: he picked wrong on ESPN but was correct on here, so he gets an extra point. This makes up for the one he had subtracted on here from the week before, so his ESPN total is now once again in line with what he's supposed to have.

Adam is back from Dallas for the holiday weekend, and he's once again in desperation mode. From his email with his picks:
I may have gone from first to worst in the Pick 'Em, but I am sitting pretty in 3, yes 3, fantasy football super bowls. Projected to win 2, and close in the 3rd. So I am going to pick this week based on which team I want to do well (or not) based on my fantasy football players (or my opponents').
Okay then. This week we disagree on a whopping 11 games out of the 16 being played. We'll see if I can keep a grip on the lead as Adam lays all his chips on his fantasy teams. From all of us here at Confessions of a Sportscaster, we wish you a Merry Christmas!

Thursday Night

New York Giants @ Philadelphia Eagles (+2.5)
Lucas: Giants. I'm having 'Nam-like flashbacks to 2007... and 2011... except this Giant team is in higher esteem than those two outfits. Maybe the lack of "Nobody Believes In Us!" will help offset that. At least, I hope so...
Adam: Giants. I'll give 2.5 on the road to the depressed Eagles. (One opponent has OBJ, not too worried about him.)

Saturday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Carolina Panthers (+2.5)
Lucas: Falcons. Carolina played spoiler nicely on Monday night, but Atlanta's a whole different beast.
Adam: Panthers. I want to see more Greg Olsen and I want it now... I traded Todd Gurley for Olsen straight about Week 4. I think it has paid off well, now lets get a touchdown or two.

Miami Dolphins @ Buffalo Bills (-3.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Granted, it was against the Jets, but when you enter the same club as Dan Marino, you have to be doing something right, Matt Moore. Taking the points.
Adam: Bills. No secret, I have been a little bit of a Bills homer this year. That is because I am the proud owner of McShady in my full point PPR league.

Washington Redskins @ Chicago Bears (+2.5)
Lucas: Redskins. I think back to my family Christmas card picture from a few years ago, and note that while my dad and I are at each other's throats, we're only on Logan's shoulders and not at his throat. Did we secretly know then that the Bears would become a quagmire of suck? The world may never know...
Adam: Redskins. Keeping true to my picking rule... also I have Garcon, who should light it up here in this spot.

San Diego Chargers @ Cleveland Browns (+6.5)
Lucas: Browns. Look, I'm just taking the points here. The Chargers aren't that good and history has generally been kind to winless teams in the second half of seasons against the spread. But even that isn't enough to stop the Curse of Star Wars.
Adam: Chargers. Technically I don't have any players in this game, but I did have Keenan Allen before he got hurt... again...
Lucas note: Recycling from earlier this season:

Minnesota Vikings @ Green Bay Packers (-6.5)
Lucas: Packers. I mean, what kind of crazy person would wear Vikings gear? The way they've played since that 5-0 start just proves they're a bunch of choke artists! Why would you want to wear that stench?!
Lucas note: ... I lost a bet, okay?!
Adam: Packers. Jordy, Jordy, Jordy, how about a 60 yard bomb to seal my entry into one of my super bowls? Yes please.
Lucas note: I have to take partial credit for that keeper pick by encouraging it. Also:

Tennessee Titans @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+4.5)
Lucas: Titans. I mean, the coach can afford to go it alone, but I thought it was pretty classy of the Jaguars to let Gus Bradley fly home with the team even after firing him. I know some players weren't too happy about it, but... you know what, that's like a couple breaking up and the party that got broken up with having to give their now ex a ride home. Classy, sure, but awkward? Oh yeah.
Adam: Titans. My late round pick de resistance for my QB1 for next year: Marcus... Mari... O.... Ta! ...Let's get ready to rumbleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

New York Jets @ New England Patriots (-16.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Told you not to count out Touchdown Tom, Adam.
Adam: Patriots. Can we all just admire the line here? 16.5... 16.5... 16.5?!?!?! Good thing I got the New England defense in this battle.

Saturday, Late Afternoon

Indianapolis Colts @ Oakland Raiders (-3.5)
Lucas: Raiders. I've been pretty congratulatory towards the Raiders. Time I balanced that out by making fun of them a little bit.
Adam: Colts. Got Luck and Hilton rolling in my .5 PPR leagues and a standard format league for Hilton. The Raiders are solid, but I expect Indy to have to play aggressive.

San Francisco 49ers @ Los Angeles Rams (-3.5)
Lucas: Rams. At least the Rams are a better football team than Angelenos are at driving in a little bit of rain. (Click on the image to zoom it in, that should make it easier to read.)
Lucas note: That's a screenshot from the California Highway Patrol one of the last times in rained in Los Angeles. Seriously, these people cannot f***ing drive in a little bit of rain. As I'm seeing again today.
Adam: 49ers. Shoot me now. As I mentioned before, I traded Gurley earlier this year... to my opponent in the finals in my standard league. Really hoping it is Hyde that get the lion's share of the 300+ projected yards on the ground these teams are expected to get.
Lucas note: This is the part where St. Louis Cardinals fans would be chiming in with tweets like this:
 
Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New Orleans Saints (-2.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. Tampa is obviously a pretty decent team this year, I'll take the points here.
Adam: Saints. Brees at home on Fantasy Football super bowl...Saturday? Ok whatever, I could not ask for a better QB in a couple of my leagues.

Arizona Cardinals @ Seattle Seahawks (-8.5) 
Lucas: Seahawks. Duly noted, Seattle. Thanks for the reminder about your freaking home field advantage.
Adam: Cardinals. I have said it once, I will say it again: DJ. That is all.
Lucas note: Eighth in rushing yards allowed, best in yards per carry against. Good luck with that.

Saturday Night

Cincinnati Bengals @ Houston Texans (-2.5) 
Lucas: Texans. All aboard the Tom Savage Bandwagon!
Adam: Bengals. I have no care... as should you...

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-5.5) 
Lucas: Ravens.Come on, it's Ravens-Steelers! You know it'll probably be closer than six points.
Adam: Steelers. More Cow Bell.

Sunday Night

Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs (-4.5) 
Lucas: Broncos. Taking the points and hoping for a revenge game after that overtime thriller they played in Denver.
Adam: Chiefs. It will be a tough test, but I need Spencer Ware to be the big dog feasting against this tough defense.

Monday Night

Detroit Lions @ Dallas Cowboys (-7.5) 
Lucas: Lions. I'm just taking the points here even though Ezekiel Elliott is probably going to run rampant again. Too bad there's no Salvation Army bell in Detroit, because everything about this last week was fantastic.
Adam: Cowboys. ...No, it is not because I am going to be living there in less than a week... OK, maybe... OK, no its because Zeke is a Beast and only the NFL would say, "Hey, you jumped in a huge Salvation Army bucket and made a good cause a lot of money... no, we won't fine you." ?!?!?!? Yeah, and I bet Brady pumped the air out himself.... but seriously, it's because I am moving there... no... yes...
Lucas note: ...I'll let this one slide. It's Christmas.

Records So Far
Lucas: 116-108 (11-5 last week)
Adam: 112-112 (9-7 last week)
Scott: 112-112 (10-6 last week)
Grant: 114-110 (8-8 last week)
Logan: 119-105 (8-8 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment