Thursday, December 18, 2014

COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 16

We're down to the final two weeks of the regular season and HOLY CRAP, ADAM, WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!

My lead that I've held pretty firmly since about Week 3 or 4 is all but gone. Just a single game separates us now, and Grabbing the Bull Horns' Geoffrey Clark has all but locked up winning the group this year. But for the love of all that is holy, I need to turn this nonsense around, fast.

Somehow, I still have a shot at finishing at least .500, which would be good, but I'll be fine finishing short of that if it means beating Adam, who took six of the eight disputed games last week to make this a photo finish.

There are a couple Saturday games this week in the NFL ranks since the college ranks are off this week even though the Death to the BCS Playoffs will kick off on Saturday. It's not too late to get your predictions for the tournament in. You can sign up for a free account on bracketmaker.com and make your predictions here. Sunday morning I'll try to run through the results from Round 1.

Meanwhile, in the NFL ranks, we finally get some groupthink! Adam and I only disagree on four of this week's 16 games. This will end up putting a lot of the pressure on Week 17. But that's next week. Let's get to the Week 16 picks.

Thursday Night

Tennessee Titans @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-3.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. Tennessee has more to gain by losing, and there are T-shirts to prove it. My head hurts.
Adam: Titans. Wow, this might be a first: Jax a favorite. Should be a doozie of a Thursday night game. I am only going to watch it because I love football.
Lucas note: This is in fact the first game this year ESPN has had them as a favorite. Not sure whether that says more about the Jags or the Titans.

Saturday Afternoon

Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Redskins (+8.5)
Lucas: Eagles. Do you really think an RG3-led offense can do what Dallas did to Philly on Sunday night? I say no.
Adam: Eagles. Please, please, please Shady McCoy, do something decent this game. My fantasy Super Bowl may depend on it… Do not get only 2 goal line carries and not make a decent attempt to get in.

Saturday Night

San Diego Chargers @ San Francisco 49ers (-2.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Why is San Francisco favored? Better question: Where is Phillip Rivers' bolo tie? He should be using it! It was magic last year!
Adam: Chargers. Both teams have some significant injuries. SD had Keenan Allen go down for the season with a broken collarbone and the 49ers has Gore and Hyde knocked out. Certainly has some fantasy impact if you are fortunate to be in the finals this week.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints (-6.5)
Lucas: Falcons. So just because the Saints beat up on a very, very bad Bears team, I'm supposed to take them by a touchdown at a stadium where they've been awful lately? Give me the points.
Adam: Falcons. In what certainly is lining up to be a shootout. I think it comes down to defense and who’s secondary can play better. Julio Jones could be the difference in this game. If he plays, I like my pick; even if he does not, I still like the Falcons, but not as much. Oh and Matt Ryan, feel free to throw for 300+ with 3TDs, thank you.

Detroit Lions @ Chicago Bears (+6.5)
Lucas: Lions. I'm just gonna leave this here...
Lucas note: And this too, because this is just hilarious.

Lucas note: ...You know what, I'm just going to pour ALL OF THE SALT into the open wound.
Adam: Lions. No explanation needed.
Lucas note: Full disclosure: Adam and I set these picks up before the Jay Cutler benching bombshell dropped. We stand by these picks.

Cleveland Browns @ Carolina Panthers (-4.5)
Lucas: Panthers. I called Johnny Football overrated last week... but man. There's no way he'll be that bad again... is there?
Adam: Panthers. I like the Panthers regardless of if they get Cam back or not. Both Cam and back up Anderson seem to have a liking for both Olsen and Benjamin. The Browns' “push” of the past several weeks seems to have fizzled out.

Green Bay Packers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+10.5)
Lucas: Packers. Four words: Pissed. Off. Aaron. Rodgers.
Adam: Buccaneers. I’ll take the points. But I am sure that Rodgers and crew will not put up a performance like they did last week. And I must say, I saw an article that basically implied that the Packers Super Bowl changes may have hinged on the Jordy Nelson short arm…Lets watch that again.
Lucas note:


Kansas City Chiefs @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-3.5)
Lucas: Steelers. Just making a gut play here.
Adam: Steelers. I have to go with the team that to me has looked the most complete on offense.  Brown and Bell have been as dominate as any this year.

Minnesota Vikings @ Miami Dolphins (-6.5)
Lucas: Vikings. A patchwork offensive line against Everson Griffen. Have fun. Also, Teddy Bridgewater might singlehandedly revive the Packers-Vikings rivalry. Good for him.
Adam: Vikings. Very impressed with how Bridgewater has played so far this season. And the Vikings have looked pretty good despite having a 1st year QB and losing arguably one of the best RB ever.  

New England Patriots @ New York Jets (+10.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Can we get one last funny Rex Ryan moment in this matchup before he gets fired? I'm going to miss you, Rex.
Adam: Patriots. I know I should probably take the points here, but not against the Jets. I hope Brady/Gronk eat the Jets alive. Maybe like they did against the Bears. 
Adam note: Not sure how I remember that since I have tried to forget this entire Bears season.

Baltimore Ravens @ Houston Texans (+4.5)
Lucas: Ravens. J.J. Watt should be the emergency Texans quarterback. He'd win MVP for sure that way!
Adam: Texans. I know that the Texans are on their like 5th string QB at this point (How far down is J.J. Watt on the QB depth chart?), but they should have Andre Johnson back from his concussion and assuming Keenum is under center, they have shown some rapport in the past.  Also I think we see a heavy dose of Foster. Should be a good game, one that could decide my Fantasy Super Bowl if Johnson can have a good game and I have the Ravens playing from behind being forced to throw the ball.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

New York Giants @ St. Louis Rams (-5.5)
Lucas: Giants. Too much Odell Beckham going off potential here. Take the points. 
Adam: Giants. I think this line is a good line. It will come down to which Manning we get this week.  3TDs to ODJ? Or 3INT to the Rams? I would expect it to be a mix of both, but still NY pulls it out by a TD.

Buffalo Bills @ Oakland Raiders (+5.5)
Lucas: Bills. Because there's no way Derek Carr will be a dropped 94-yard touchdown pass away from swinging all the momentum back your way and winning a game you probably should have. 
Adam: Bills. I am a little confused by this line. It seems a little short to me. I would have guess it to be up closed to +7.5. In any case, the Bills D looked lights out against GB last week and will have an easier offense to deal with this week.  

Indianapolis Colts @ Dallas Cowboys (-2.5)
Lucas: Colts. Dallas at home, where they struggle (3-4). Andrew Luck probably pulls one out of his behind while Jerry Jones tries to pull a greased tee out of his behind with a pair of pliers.
Adam: Cowboys. This could be a very different game if Murray is limited or out. Thankfully, early reports are indicating not only with Murray play, but he will not be limited. As the backbone of my fantasy team this year, if Murray does not play, or cannot get anything going, I am toast.

Sunday Night

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals (+7.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. I'm supposed to bet on Ryan Lindley? No thanks. 
Adam: Seahawks. Who would have believed you if you told them this game would be +7.5 to Arizona at the beginning of the season. Arizona should mail in their year. Put in the new guys and see what they can do... Wait, that has already happened due to injuries. 

Monday Night

Denver Broncos @ Cincinnati Bengals (+3.5)
Lucas: Broncos. It hasn't failed me yet: Don't bet against Peyton Manning at night. Against Andy Dalton? All the more reason not to bet against Peyton Manning at night.
Adam: Broncos. Something someone told me about Manning at night… Anyway, I actually hope that Manning is held in check a little with the resurgence of the Denver ground game.  Once again, my fantasy Super Bowl hangs in the balance as my opponent has Manning and Sanders in this game.

Records So Far
Lucas: 111-113 (6-10 last week)
Adam: 110-114 (10-6 last week)
Rascal: 2-2 (1-0 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment