Thursday, December 3, 2015

2015 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 13

We have five weeks left in the NFL season, and I'm working on my concession speech.

Adam took four out of our six disputed games last week, and now has a ten game lead with 80 more games to pick. The way things have gone, even though I did okay this week, I don't have much faith in leading a comeback. Weird things happen though, so I'm going to keep at it. Plus, this series of posts is fun to do, and I enjoy having Adam along for the ride.

Adam remains in first place in our little group, though my dad has surged in recent weeks to be in the conversation, and Geoffrey is in striking distance as well. I guess I am too, but the gap is probably too much to overcome.

If I'm going to make a miraculous comeback, the best opportunity is now. This week, Adam and I disagree on a whopping ten games out of 16. Let's get to the picks.


Thursday Night

Green Bay Packers @ Detroit Lions (+3.5)
Lucas: Packers. Remind me not to bet on teams in retirement ceremony games again. That said, Aaron Rodgers revenge game potential is pretty high here... as long as Jim Caldwell returns to old school Jim Caldwell. 
Adam: Packers. How the can the Packers and Packers fans not be mad? Favre… ehm… Rodgers will lead the way. Rodgers gets things going in the air and has his first 300+ yard game since… oh, the last Lions game...

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-2.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. This just in: Matt Ryan is bad at football.
Adam: Falcons. I was going to pick the Bucs, but then, for some reason unbeknownst to me, I looked at the Bucs record, and if I looked at it right, the Bucs have only won one game in odd weeks.  So I am riding history.
Lucas note: You did. Can't believe they've only won once in odd weeks.


Houston Texans @ Buffalo Bills (-2.5)
Lucas: Texans. How is Houston not favored? J.J. Watt is all but singlehandedly reviving Houston to respectability and a playoff berth in a terrible division. Give me the points.
Adam: Bills. Don’t really like anyone here, just taking the home team.

San Francisco 49ers @ Chicago Bears (-6.5)
Lucas: Bears. Because my reality is shattered. Jay Cutler is supposed to lose and throw at least one pick at Lambeau! WHAT IS GOING ON?!
Adam: 49ers. All look up and say, "Hey, the Bears are doing ok right now." They have a way outside chance of making it.  Nay I say to you. Look who your fearless leader is a guy who goes for 350 yards and 3 touchdowns, but 100 yards and 1 TD is to San Francisco's defense...

Cincinnati Bengals @ Cleveland Browns (+6.5)
Lucas: Bengals.
Adam: Browns. What do you think would happen if next year we got Johnny Football and Smoke a Dope Gordon on the field at the same time? Bet you they would think they are playing for the Bong Bowl.
Lucas note: As much as I love the imagery, Manziel won't be a Brown next year. I'd be kinda surprised if he's still in the league. I always thought the dude was overrated, but not the head case he's become.
Jacksonville Jaguars @ Tennessee Titans (-2.5)
Lucas: Titans. Too many injuries for Jacksonville. I worry that a hurt Allen Hurns is going to be a big loss for them.
AdamTitansHurns is injured and the Titans have a tough secondary. Unless Yeldon runs wild, which I don’t see happening, Bortles should do just fine.

Arizona Cardinals @ St. Louis Rams (+5.5)
Lucas: Rams. St. Louis has had a tendency this year to get up for the big games against division foes with a bunch of skunkers elsewhere. I can't shake the feeling that this might be one of the former. Taking the points and praying that Nick Foles and Jeff Fisher both aren't still concussed.
Adam: Cardinals. No faith in the Rams offense or defense any longer.

Baltimore Ravens @ Miami Dolphins (-4.5)
Lucas: Ravens. See, tin foil hat conspiracy theorist Ravens fans? You won on a likely uncalled neutral zone infraction on your walk-off kick six. The league is not out to get you; the refs are just awful and changes need to be made
Adam: Ravens. For the record, I swear that guy stepped out of bounds… but if not, great play, too bad for the Browns.  In any case, I think the Ravens are coming on and will surprise the Fins.

Seattle Seahawks @ Minnesota Vikings (-0.5)
Lucas: Vikings. I know Seattle is starting to get hot at the right time, but after thinking Minnesota would be a dark horse coming into the year... they're legit.
Adam: Seahawks. The Legion of Boom strikes again.

New York Jets @ New York Giants (+1.5)
Lucas: Giants. Here's hoping last week is it for Eli clunkers for a few weeks and that this week is the beginning of the resurgence.
Adam: Jets. Why is OBJ so good? I just think Ivory goes off for the first time in several weeks and leads the way to victory for the Jets.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Denver Broncos @ San Diego Chargers (+4.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Brock Osweiler? Brock Osweiler.
Adam: BroncosOsweiler… told you. I would be willing to put up $5 that Manning does not make any more than 1.5 starts the rest of the regular season.  I would also be willing to put up money that Osweiler does not start next season for the Broncos.
Lucas note: Definitely take the under on the former. Not sure on the latter; were starting to see Peyton decline some.


Kansas City Chiefs @ Oakland Raiders (+2.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Coming down from my Oakland high and realizing that they might be 2015's Good Bad Team. They're getting there, but they need another offseason or two.
Adam: Raiders. Carr will see a soft secondary. A little surprised at the line; I would have liked it closer to even 1-2 points to Oakland. But hey, I’ll still take it.
Lucas note: It's free points, but the reason the line is there is because Oakland is not that good and Kansas City is hot.


Philadelphia Eagles @ New England Patriots (-9.5)
Lucas: Patriots. I want to take the points here, but New England has at least pushed the spread in every home game this year, and the Eagles are terrible. Even without Gronk in all likelihood, I think they run away with this one.
Adam: Eagles. Pats are undefeated no longer, but are certainly not deflated (sorry) with all the injuries they have suffered. I don’t like this high line so taking the points.

Carolina Panthers @ New Orleans Saints (+7.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Cam has been solid against the Saints in his career overall, but now that he's taken his game to another level? Against this bad defense, this is going to be a laugher.
Adam: Panthers. I just have one question. Who the F is Cam throwing to?! I can only name 1 receiver on the team, Greg Olsen… and he is not even a receiver. Just imagine how even more crazy good this team would be with Benjamin in the mix.
Lucas note: *tries to repress images of Jerricho Freaking Cotchery torching the Green Bay secondary*

Sunday Night

Indianapolis Colts @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-6.5)
Lucas: Colts. Torn on this game, so I'm taking the points. Not totally sold on the Steelers, but still don't have a ton of faith in the Colts.
Adam: Steelers. Don’t really like this line. But I think Big Ben should have his way with the Colts.

Monday Night

Dallas Cowboys @ Washington Redskins (-3.5) 
Lucas: Redskins. Well, it's December now, so we know what happens to the Cowboys...
Adam: Redskins. Not sure how it can get any worse for the Cowboys. Romo out for the season, Bryant still kind of looking less than 100%... They got nothing.
Lucas note: Only way it could get worse? Jerry Jones is secretly Father from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, because he's immortal and arrogant.
Lucas note: Man, that's a stretch. I need to stop nerding out at 5am.

Records So Far
Lucas: 76-100 (8-8 last week)
Adam: 86-90 (10-6 last week)
Geoffrey: 80-96 (5-11 last week)
Scott: 82-94 (11-5 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment