Thursday, December 24, 2015

2015 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 16

I think I am 2014 Jay Cutler.

After pretty much surrendering for the season due to trailing Adam by several games and being pretty much out of the race in our little group, last week was my garbage time touchdown. Somehow, some way... I swept my seven disputed games with Adam and pulled back to within nine games of the lead, and am back with the rest of the pack. I'm not going to suddenly reverse course and proclaim that this is a sign of victory, because the odds just aren't in my favor. I'd have to pull a similar thing this week to get back within respectable striking distance for Week 17 and then pray for a miracle. When Adam sent me his picks for the week, he said, "Lets see if I can hang on and not have an epic - Tony Romo like - 4th quarter F-up." Bear in mind, I almost did this last year before hanging on by a thread in Week 17.

This season we get a game on Christmas Eve, then one on the day after to go up against the Death to the BCS Playoffs before we get into the Sunday action. This week, Adam and I disagree on seven games again. This does mean I can get back within striking distance.

Adam did update the spreadsheet with pick statistics, and you can view those updated statistics here.

From all of us here at Confessions of a Sportscaster, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Let's take a look at our Week 16 picks.

Thursday Night

San Diego Chargers @ Oakland Raiders (-5.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Not really sure why, just feel like taking the points here.
Adam: Raiders. Oakland has been playing better, but so has San Diego of late. I like the home team by a touchdown.

Saturday Night

Washington Redskins @ Philadelphia Eagles (-2.5)
Lucas: Redskins. I know Philly has looked better of late, but I do think Washington is better. Taking the points, the upset, and Washington to the playoffs on the wings of their court victory.
Adam: Redskins. Washington is a different team on the road than it is at home. Good thing they are on the road today. Skins roll easy in this one.
Lucas note: 6-2 at home, 1-5 on the road (with the win being against a Bears team that has only one win at home this season)... Obviously I agree with the pick, but are you sure that's the rationale you want to go with?

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Carolina Panthers @ Atlanta Falcons (+7.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Josh Norman was rightfully fined for his role in the antics from this past weekend (though I think he could have received a higher one), but he didn't do anything suspension-worthy to my knowledge. Panthers roll to 15-0.
Adam: Panthers. This is a bit high for this line that I would care for, but none the less Carolina keeps its perfect season alive after a scare last week. They are angry and Cam goes for 6 touchdowns...
Lucas note:

Dallas Cowboys @ Buffalo Bills (-5.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. Taking the points because Rex Ryan is not a great head coach. And yes, I realize that I am betting on Matt Cassel a week after he became the first quarterback in 12 years to get called for intentional grounding on an interception which allowed for this GIF from Jon Bois that is now my favorite.
Adam: Bills. The Bills disappointed last week, but should be set up for a nice rebound after a few bad losses.

Chicago Bears @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-2.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. I miss you, Lovie.
Adam: Buccaneers. This game depends on two questions being answered: Which Smoking Jay shows up and which Winston shows up.

Cleveland Browns @ Kansas City Chiefs (-12.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Taking the double digit favorites worked out well for me last week, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It helps too that the Browns are terrible.
Adam: Browns. I took the points last week and just missed hitting by picking Cleveland. This week they get a weaker offense so I like the points again.

San Francisco 49ers @ Detroit Lions (-8.5)
Lucas: Lions. ...did I really just take a Jim Caldwell team laying over a touchdown? I suppose it helps too that it's a West Coast team playing at 10am for them.
Adam: Lions. I am almost tempted to take the 49ers on the basis of the points alone, but overall the Lions have been playing much better in the 2nd part of the season. I’ll give them that and go with the Lions.
Lucas note: They've also had terrible luck and arguably should be 7-7, so yeah, agreed.

Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans (+2.5)
Lucas: Texans. I'm still trying to process the fact that Brandon Weeden had a comeback victory. It helps though when you have a legit receiver and a solid defense to back you up. 
Adam: Texans. With Mariota out I just don’t even see how Tennessee can score, let alone stop the Texans.

Indianapolis Colts @ Miami Dolphins (-2.5)
Lucas: Colts. How the mighty have fallen: a sexy pick in the AFC is now playing out the string. Taking the points for pride's sake.
Adam: Dolphins. Very tough game to pick. Luck is already ruled out, Yahoo Fantasy is suggesting Hasselbeck is banged up from being 100 years old and still playing that Whitehurst may get the start... yeah, I said that.

New England Patriots @ New York Jets (+3.5)
Lucas: Patriots.
Adam: Patriots. The Pats still need to lock up home field for the playoffs, though they already have the first round bye. I suspect this line is taking into consideration that first point, but I still don’t see the Jets being close in this one.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens (+10.5)
Lucas: Steelers. I look forward to the tin foil hat conspiracy theorists whining about the officiating in a game the Ravens get blown out in again. Have fun stopping Antonio Brown, guys.
Adam: Steelers. With this line, I usually am tempted to take the points especially with the home dog, but Pitt is in the mix still for the playoffs. The Steeler offense has been looking just fine. Pitt by 14.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Jacksonville Jaguars @ New Orleans Saints (-3.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. HOW IS NEW ORLEANS CONTINUING TO GET FAVORED?! THEY'RE NOT GOOD.
Adam: Saints. Ah, a game that means absolutely nothing. Neither team is in the hunt for the playoffs so it will be all about pride here. The Saints are coming off a beating from Detroit and the Jags are fresh off their beating from Atlanta. I have to go with Brees at home.

Green Bay Packers @ Arizona Cardinals (-4.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. I can't shake the feeling of this weird mirror thing happening: the Packers lose to the Cardinals this week forcing an NFC North Championship game in Week 17 again, which the Packers win, then they beat the Vikings again a week later at home before going back to Arizona and losing again.
Adam: Cardinals. AHHHHHHHHH. Damn, this is a hard game to pick. If we see the Rodgers of old this could be a shoot out galore. Unfortunately for Green Bay I don’t see good things happening. The whole season for the Pack has been weird. I like Palmer and crew at home.

St. Louis Rams @ Seattle Seahawks (-13.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Same principle as the Chiefs pick; the Rams are bad, the Seahawks are really good, and they're at home. I know it's risky to lay this many points, but I'm going to run with it.
Adam: Seahawks. Let us not forget Week 1... but that was ages ago and both teams are vastly different. St. Louis has regressed significantly, especially on D, and Seattle and become quite a nice powerhouse offense.

Sunday Night

New York Giants @ Minnesota Vikings (-6.5)
Lucas: Vikings. New York is (rightfully) without its best weapon in Odell Beckham, who needs to get his head on straight. With no other major threats, I think the Vikings run away with this one. Besides, we have to set up the Week 17 NFC North Championship Game for Aaron Rodgers to win again...

Adam: Giants. For OBJ.
Lucas note:



Monday Night

Cincinnati Bengals @ Denver Broncos (-3.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Don't bet against Peyton Manning Brock Osweiler at night.
Adam: Bengals. Based on records this should be a good game. And certainly the Denver D will try and do that, but I don’t see the Denver offense showing much of anything.

Records So Far
Lucas: 103-121 (11-5 last week)
Adam: 112-112 (4-12 last week)
Geoffrey: 106-118 (9-7 last week)
Scott: 105-119 (10-6 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment