Thursday, September 27, 2018

2018 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 4

The bye weeks are beginning in the NFL this week, but for the coalition, there are no weeks off as we enter our fourth round of picking games against the spread.

The group kind of regressed in Week 3, though Adam took four of our seven disputed picks last week to cut the column deficit to two games. But we all remain looking up at Kristen at the top of the standings. You can also view a breakdown of how we've picked in relation to each other here. I think the most fun stat from there has to be Adam's wife Jen going 4 of 6 on hero picks through three weeks, and as I understand it she's basically just picking with her eyes closed. Not bad, all things considered, especially since she had the best week out of all of us.

Looking ahead to Week 4, Adam and I disagree on five games out of 15. Let's get to the picks!

Thursday Night

Minnesota Vikings @ Los Angeles Rams (-6.5)
Lucas: Rams. I don't want to overreact to maybe the biggest regular season upset ever, but the Vikings have looked lost since Week 1, other than the fourth quarter against the equally lost Packers. Sending them out west to face probably the NFC favorite with one of their premier defensive linemen gone with some serious mental health issues? I'll lay the points, but get well soon, Everson Griffen.
Adam: Rams. Min-a-sohd-a (in appropriate accent) gonna be mad, but not mad enough to top the high flying Rams. The Vikings are coming off an embarrassing loss to probably the worst team in the NFL right now. The Rams are going to have to give more than 6.5 for me to go away from them.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Cincinnati Bengals @ Atlanta Falcons (-5.5)
Lucas: Falcons. With A.J. Green up in the air, I'll lay the points with an offense that might finally be starting to click. Now, if Matt Ryan can start finding Julio Jones in the end zone...
Adam: Falcons. Going to be a good, game, but I like Ryan coming off of 375 and 5 touchdowns. Maybe this week Jones can be included in the offense. I am going to call this the break out game for Jones: 10 catches for 125 yards and two scores... and yes, one inside the red zone.
Lucas note: I would be okay with this.

Buffalo Bills @ Green Bay Packers (-10.5)
Lucas note: Excuse me, I'm going to defer to Adam for first pick here while I go scream at the NFL again.
Adam: Bills. The Bills are not who we thought they are... lol. But damn, 10.5? Well, the Bills did get blown out in Week 1. But hey they have Josh Allen. Oh, and the Packers have the most penalized dirty backer in all football. I mean just look at this nasty tackle last week, using all his body weight on a defenseless QB.
Lucas note: Now see, I know you're playing me... so I'm not going to rise to the bait since I already touched on this.
Lucas: Bills. Green Bay has failed to cover the last three times they've worn the throwbacks. Combine this with a Bills team that seems to be getting its stuff figured out, a Packers team that looks lost, a double digit line, and Bill Vinovich inevitably flagging Clay Matthews for roughing the passer after getting hurdled by Josh Allen, I'll take the points.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Chicago Bears (-2.5)
Lucas: Bears. I'm thinking of this as hedging my bets. If Ryan Fitzpatrick gets another go I'm tempted to ride Fitzmagic even though it faded on Monday night; enough so that I'm not sure he'd be able to cover the spread. If Jameis Winston is starting... well, you can forget about it. And that's before we get into the fact that Tampa's starting strong safety was put on injured reserve with a knee soul injury.
Adam: Buccaneers. FitzMagic did some pretty crazy things Monday against Pitt. I know this game's at Soldier Field and the crowd will be rocking, but I am getting very nervous that Mitch may not pan all the way out as we want him to. Maybe just more time... but alas, I don’t think this Bears defense can defend a 400 yard passer in each of the last three games.

Detroit Lions @ Dallas Cowboys (-2.5)
Lucas: Lions. I wish the Chariots of Fire theme were extended out with multiple angled replays on this. Oh well. I'm not betting against Matt Patricia now.
Adam: Lions. So the Cowboys have like seven or eight wide receivers on their team, and not a single one could even touch WR2 status on any other team in the NFL. The Lions on the other hand have the three amigos: Tate, Jones, Jr, and Golladay.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Tennessee Titans (+3.5)
Lucas: Eagles. Who even knows what the quarterback situation will be in Nashville this weekend? Marcus Mariota is struggling with an elbow injury, and backup Blaine Gabbert is in concussion protocol. Mariota can probably go, but if anything happens to him and Gabbert is still out, that leaves Luke Falk as the guy. Needless to say, I am not inspired.
Adam: Eagles. Not much to look at here; the Titans are somehow 2-1 but the Eagles have Wentz back and most certainly better this week.

Houston Texans @ Indianapolis Colts (-0.5)
Lucas: Colts. With the Texans vastly underachieving through three weeks, I'll take a Colts team that has actually played about as well as can be expected with a rusty quarterback and a defense that's been all right so far.
Adam: Texans. Indy appears to be one of a handful of possible suitors of Le’Veon Bell. If acquired it would certainly improve Indy exponentially. But I seem to remember a similar trade by the Colts a few years back to acquire a top back... Trent Richardson, anyone?
Lucas note: ...that's awesome.

Miami Dolphins @ New England Patriots (-6.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. It's still the first quarter of the 2018 season, a time when the Patriots struggle, and especially so when a bunch of guys are either hurt, suspended, or still learning the ropes. If this line were three or four points lower I'd think about it, but I'm not laying a touchdown.
Adam: Patriots. I think we shall see what Smoke-a-Dope can do this week. I say they cover only because of the last minute touchdown of Brady to Gordon for 24 yards down the right side.

New York Jets @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-7.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. I'm not thrilled about this line. I feel like the Jets could back door cover this one, but that would require Sam Darnold to look like Week 1 Sam Darnold as opposed to the Darnold of the past couple weeks, and against an elite defense, I'm not sure that's a smart bet. It's a higher line than I'd like, but I'll lay the points.
Adam: Jets. J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets! I know, the Jets just gave the city of Cleveland its first win in 635 days, but I see a return to form for Sam Darnold. Playing on Thursday on a short week at the NFL level just took a lot of the little guy.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Cleveland Browns @ Oakland Raiders (-2.5)
Lucas: Browns. I'm sorry for doubting you last week, Browns. Dilly Dilly.
Adam: Browns. Simba.
Lucas note: To be clear, I love this. But all the love here can't replace the fact that I let Adam have the Titanic theme and he didn't take it! And if he won't, I will.

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals (+3.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. I wish we could resurrect Denny Green to do the press conference for Steve Wilks on Sunday, because this was 2006 all over again. Rest in peace, buddy.
Adam: Seahawks. Though the Legion of Boom is gone and Doug Baldwin is still nursing an injury, I do not see good things for the rookie QB Josh Rosen.

New Orleans Saints @ New York Giants (+3.5)
Lucas: Saints. Their defense still needs some time to get into shape, but playing the Giants should help.
Adam: Saints. So you're telling me the Saints got into a fire fight last game and posted 43 points against a solid Matt Ryan-led Falcons team, and the Giants only just squeezed out a five point win against the winless Texans, and I only have to give 3.5. Done, done, and done.

San Francisco 49ers @ Los Angeles Chargers (-10.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Let's pour one out for Jimmy GQ: latest victim of the football gods. Get well soon, sir.
Adam: Chargers. Sorry to say Jimmy G tore his ACL and his season is over. Too bad, it would have been nice to see what he could have done. And despite cries from 49er fans crying for Nike man himself Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers have decided to go with: CJ Bea... Beat...oh forget it. They will lose in a blaze of glory.

Sunday Night

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-3.5)
Lucas: Ravens. The Steelers barely survived despite an off night by Fitzmagic, and while I'm pretty sure they'd get up for a Sunday night game against their archrival, I think I may have underrated the Ravens. I'll take the points and the upset.
Adam: Steelers. How can you bet against the Steelers right now? Despite a tie to the Browns, despite not having their star running back, who may not be theirs much longer, the Steelers are 1-1-1. I’ll lay the 3.5 at home on Sunday night.
Lucas note: This is how I can bet against the Steelers right now. (Note: video contains NSFW language.)

Monday Night

Kansas City Chiefs @ Denver Broncos (+5.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. It's Patrick Mahomes' world; we're just living in it.
Adam: Chiefs. Jesus is Mahomes' boy. Guns up.

Records So Far
Lucas: 24-24 (6-10 last week)
Adam: 22-26 (7-9 last week)
Geoffrey: 21-27 (5-11 last week)
Joe: 22-26 (6-10 last week)
Aiden: 20-28 (6-10 last week)
Kristen: 27-21 (7-9 last week)
Jen: 21-27 (8-8 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment