Wednesday, September 5, 2018

2018 NFC East Preview

Rejoice, COAS readers: tomorrow the NFL is back!

That means I need to wrap up my preview series today. For the past couple weeks I've gone division by division around the country making my picks for the upcoming year. Yesterday I wrapped up the AFC (you can view my full playoff picks here), and so today I need to finish up the league and NFC.

But before I do that, one final time I'm looking to make a shameless plug with the annual COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em contest. You can join the group through that link to see how much better at picking NFL games against the spread you are than I am, while I renew my rivalry with Adam Quinn in our weekly column. The first edition of the season comes out tomorrow, and I'm really looking forward to getting back to it.

But until then, here's a look at the NFC East.


NFC East

Common opponents on schedule: NFC South, AFC South

1. Philadelphia Eagles
2017: 13-3 (1st), Won Super Bowl LII
Now that Philadelphia fans were given a reason to be insufferable, their Eagles are back to defend their crown. [And they get to do so with the guy who helped set the table for that run before his knee gave out in Carson Wentz] [And they will do so with their postseason hero, Nick Foles]. He gets Mike Wallace as a new weapon in the passing game to go alongside Alshon Jeffery and Nelson Agholor, while Jay Ajayi begins his first full year in Philly. This defense though, which was really good last year, gets even better with the addition of Michael Bennett to bolster an already good defensive line. Add in an elite back seven led by safety Malcolm Jenkins, and this group is a legitimate threat to repeat.
2018 Prediction: 12-4

2. Dallas Cowboys
2017: 9-7 (2nd), missed playoffs
The you-know-what measuring contest between Jerry Jones and Roger Goodell should be quiet this year now that Ezekiel Elliott's suspension is behind him. He and quarterback Dak Prescott still have a strong offensive line to protect them, but there's a major question of weapons this year with Dez Bryant and Jason Witten gone. Allen Hurns is in opposite Terrance Williams, but that's a 1-2 punch that doesn't really scare me. I'm not sold on this defense either, unless Sean Lee can somehow make it through a 16 game schedule without his knee blowing up on him. There's enough here to at least make the Cowboys somewhat relevant, but they're not threatening for a playoff spot.
2018 Prediction: 8-8

3. Washington Redskins
2017: 7-9 (3rd), missed playoffs
Washington has finally jettisoned Kirk Cousins and probably made an upgrade at the position by trading for Alex Smith. But I'm not sold on his weapons, where we may have another year of Alex Smith failing to throw a touchdown pass to one of his wide receivers, though that may be a stretch. What's even more of a stretch is Washington's stable of running backs, which has turned into an infirmary. The Redskins' defense doesn't really scare me either, since Josh Norman isn't quite what he was in Carolina. But it's still enough that I could see the Redskins at least being decent this year.
2018 Prediction: 7-9

4. New York Giants
2017: 3-13 (4th), missed playoffs
The Giants got bit hard by the injury bug last year, losing Odell Beckham, Jr. for most of the campaign while the rest of the team fell apart under Ben McAdoo. He's gone now, and Beckham is back with a new contract to give Eli Manning an elite target. Nate Solder came over from New England to protect Manning's blind side and help open holes for new toy Saquon Barkley, who seems poised to light the league on fire this year. But you have a defense that was all sorts of bad in 2017 returning largely intact, which I think takes its toll on them. The Giants won't be a dumpster fire in 2018, that much is clear, but I don't think they're a playoff team either.
2018 Prediction: 7-9

And as I did yesterday with the AFC, here are my full NFC Playoff predictions:

  1. New Orleans Saints (12-4)
  2. Philadelphia Eagles (12-4)
  3. Green Bay Packers (11-5)
  4. Los Angeles Rams (11-5)
  5. Minnesota Vikings (11-5)
  6. San Francisco 49ers (10-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment