Thursday, March 15, 2018

2018 March Madness Preview

After months of focusing on Division III basketball and paying little to no attention to Division I... the most magical time of the year is upon us and I'll try to pretend I know what I'm talking about with the NCAA Tournament.

After the debacle that was the Selection Show, we now know the field that began with the First Four in Dayton the past two days, and now begins in earnest today. This first weekend is the greatest four day stretch in sports, and hopefully there will be plenty of buzzer beaters and upsets like Aurora University toppling Wash U a couple weeks ago (don't let anyone tell you D-III basketball is a garbage product).

Adam Quinn, my partner in the weekly Pigskin Pick 'Em feature during football season, asked if we were doing anything for the NCAA Tournament this year, and because I'm a sucker I couldn't say no. We're condensing it down to one post this year though (a couple years ago we went through each region individually). So below, we'll go region by region with our Final Four picks, dark horses, disappointments, best matchups, and ultimately our national championship picks.

South Region

Winner
Lucas:Arizona. I know little about the landscape of D-I basketball other than to know DeAndre Ayton is elite. And in a sport like basketball where a single player can have more impact on a team's success than in any other sport (though you can bring in arguments like a quarterback in football or maybe a starting pitcher in baseball within the context of a single game), that means a lot. I'm taking a 4 seed to the Final Four.
Adam: Virginia. Looks like a soft region. Only major hurdle will be UK.

Dark Horse
Photo from Loyola Athletics
Lucas: Loyola (Chicago). Okay, this one is reaching/hometown bias. But it's not like the Ramblers are some no name 16 seed that's fodder for the Kansas's or Virginia's of the world. They went 28-5, albeit in a lesser conference, but 28-5 with good defense (62.2 PPG allowed) is 28-5 with good defense. I've got the Ramblers in the Elite Eight before falling to the Wildcats.
Adam: Loyola (Chicago). First time in a while for Loyola in the Big Dance. Got to go with the Chicago Love.

Disappointment
Lucas: Kentucky. This was a hard one for this region. Do I go with a Virginia team I have bowing out in the Sweet Sixteen? Do I go with second seeded Cincinnati bowing out in that same round to aforementioned Loyola? Ultimately I opted for Kentucky, a team a lot of people will probably still throw in the Final Four because of the name power, but a team I have bowing out to Arizona over the weekend.
Adam: Arizona. Just 'cus.

Best Matchup
Lucas: Sweet 16- (4) Arizona vs (1) Virginia. I could have gone a round earlier with the Kentucky-Arizona game, but I think I like this one better. Virginia could easily win this one and kill my bracket in the extremely unlikely event it lives to see the second weekend. I think that means something.
Adam: First Round- (10) Texas vs (7) Nevada. For my wife’s uncle. He is playing this up as a big matchup that will be a great game.

East Region

Winner
Lucas: Villanova. I mean, you have to pick at least one #1 seed. Nova is my pick, and even though they live (and thus die) by the three, if you know me you know I like threes. I give them enough shooting to make it to San Antonio.
Adam: Purdue. I think it was about 3-4 weeks ago, Purdue was rated as having the highest chance of making the Final Four of any team in basketball.

Dark Horse
Photo from Getty Images
Lucas: St. Bonaventure. I went largely chalk with this quadrant, having the Wildcats knock off Texas Tech to go to the Final Four. As such that didn't leave a lot of dark horse candidates. Ultimately I went with the Bonnies following up their First Four win up with an upset over Florida. I know it's less of a dark horse thing than going with a 5-12 situation, but there weren't a lot of options with how I set up my bracket.
Adam: St. Bonaventure. As I recall there were some bracket busters a few years back (maybe I’m getting them confused) they play a winnable game agains Florida and then into another winnable game against, presumably, Texas Tech.

Disappointment
Lucas: Purdue. Again, this was hard since I went chalk, and that means not a lot to choose from here. I'd say as the #2 seed not making it to at least the Elite Eight qualifies as a bust since I have the top four seeds all making it to the second weekend.
Adam: West Virginia.

Best Matchup
Lucas: Second Round- (9) Alabama vs (1) Villanova. This one was tough to peg too, but considering that Alabama was actually somewhat of a factor both nationally and in the SEC this year, I'll pick this one. Collin Sexton is really good and could threaten Nova's Final Four potential, but they're a young team. We'll see.
Adam: First Round- (10) Butler vs (7) Arkansas. As I recall Butler is only a few years separated from its Final Four appearance. Should have some fight there.

Midwest Region

Winner
Photo by Mary Altaffer (AP)
Lucas: Michigan State. For a while Duke was my "Pick These Guys to Make a Deep Run" team but Tom Izzo's squad supplanted them for me a couple years ago. And even though a couple years ago my bracket died with Middle Tennessee State knocking them off in the first round, I'm going to be stubborn this year and Sparty hardy.
Adam: Michigan State. Going with the Big 10 love and that team is pretty darn good. Way better than a 3 seed.

Dark Horse
Lucas: Rhode Island. This is another fairly chalk-heavy region for me, so picking the #7 seed as the dark horse is the most chalk-laden dark horse in my bracket, but even then I only have them making it as far as the Sweet 16. I think they shut down Trae Young and Oklahoma in round one before making good on my next pick...
Adam: Penn. Dare I say 16 over 1 upset? In all seriousness my whole life would be made to see an Ivy League 16 beat a Bill Self (traitor) led 1 seed Jayhawks, Rock Chalk Quakers.

Disappointment
Lucas: Duke. Sorry, Coach K. Picking you guys has killed my bracket too many times in the past, and I've refused to let it happen to me again. I could go with a Kansas team I have falling in the Sweet 16 to Auburn as my disappointment, but considering I don't have Duke even making the second weekend, clearly Duke is my answer here. I look forward to Marvin Bagley dunking on fools as the Blue Devils win it all this year just to spite me.
Adam: Duke. The above dark horse comments aside, there is nothing more exciting to me that to see D-Head Grayson Allen cry at the end of the bench as his beloved Devils fall... probably in round 2, but I think anything shy of the Elite 8 is a disappointment for this team.

Best Matchup
Lucas: First Round- (10) Oklahoma vs (7) Rhode Island. I'm going to come back to this matchup as my best one. The Rams are one of the best defensive teams in the country, and considering Oklahoma is largely the Trae Young show, they could really shut down the Sooners' offense. I would still expect Young to get his, but it won't quite be enough in a thriller.
Adam: First Round- (10) Oklahoma vs (7) Rhode Island. I sound like a broken record at this point, but the 7/10 matchups seem really good this year like they do every year. This is no exception. You have a #1 conference winning team against a faltering middle of the pack major conference team.

West Region

Winner
Lucas: North Carolina. I haven't been hurt by the Tar Heels nearly enough to go against them, and they are the defending champions for what it's worth. They have a bunch of experienced guys which should help them a ton as well as an efficient offense. I'll ride it.
Adam: Michigan. Looks like a solid region. I just see Michigan’s path out is easiest of all the contenders.

Dark Horse
Lucas: Missouri. This is a risky pick, but I'm riding with it. If Michael Porter, Jr. is a little healthier than he was for the SEC Tournament and the Tigers can integrate him a little better, they're going to turn some heads. As it is, I have them making the Elite Eight before falling to the Heels.
Adam: San Diego State.

Disappointment
Lucas: Xavier. The Musketeers are typically a team I'd see on a bracket, say, "Yeah, okay," and pencil them in for a couple wins. But with Missouri in their path, I don't have them getting out of the first weekend. For a team getting a #1 seed and being as highly regarded as they are this year, to fall in the second round would absolutely be a disappointment.
Adam: Ohio State.

Best Matchup
Lucas: Sweet 16- (3) Michigan vs (2) North Carolina. I'll go back to the Tar Heels, but with them matched up against a Michigan team that won the Big Ten Tournament and has been idle for a week-plus. I think they still get out of the first weekend, then run into this fantastic test that may be one of the best games of the tournament.
Adam: First Round- (11) San Diego State vs (6) Houston. Per my Dark Horse pick, this one will come down to the wire. Let the madness begin.

National Championship

Lucas: Michigan State 71, Arizona 64
Adam: Purdue 78, Virginia 73

No comments:

Post a Comment