Thursday, November 3, 2016

2016 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 9

This week we will officially hit the halfway point of the NFL season, and the gap has narrowed.

It was a good week for hero picks this past week, as everyone except Grant nailed one. Adam just barely held on to the lead among our group thanks to his Aiden's hero win, but only one game separates each of the top four players. I remain in last place, but took five our our eight disputed games and sit just three back of my dad for fourth place.

I have a Google Sheet with a breakdown of how we've picked in relation to each other, which you can view here. The only thing that I could maybe want to do differently in the future is do a breakdown by team, but that might be a lot of work. Something I intend to keep in mind though.

Adam is in Dallas for a few days, but was able to get me his picks before he left. This week, we disagree on six out of the 13 games being played. Let's see if I can continue the comeback.

Thursday Night

Atlanta Falcons @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3.5)
Lucas: Falcons. Riding the hot hand of Matt Ryan until I can't ride it any longer.
Adam: Falcons. They just seem to keep on winning. I don't feel like I have really heard much about any sort of explosive offense or crazy awesome defense, but they seem to get it done.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Dallas Cowboys @ Cleveland Browns (+7.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. I held off on this pick until after Game 7, which means I saw Adam's pick before making this one (the only time this has happened since he joined this weekly feature). I'll refrain from the "It was 3-1" jokes and just stick to making fun of the Browns when they deserve it.
Adam: Cowboys. Elliott.

Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings (-6.5)
Lucas: Lions. Maybe Norv Turner resigning will spark something like it did for the Lions last year. Every NFC North game thus far has been won by the home team, but I just don't think the Vikings are good enough to be touchdown favorites right now.
Adam: Vikings. They will bounce back after the loss to the Bears last week.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Kansas City Chiefs (-8.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. The Chiefs are having a good year, and I know the Vegas sharps are rating Arrowhead as one of the better home fields in the league, but 8.5 points is a lot to lay here. 
Adam. Jaguars. Was that Foles I saw under center last week? Hate, hate, hate, hate.
Lucas note: That'll be Foles you'll see under center this week, too. Continue to hate, hate, hate, hate, even though I still don't get why.

New York Jets @ Miami Dolphins (-3.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. I don't like this game, I don't like this line, I don't like anything about this. But the Jets suck, so I'm taking Miami. 
Adam: Dolphins. Rather weird game from a pick 'em stand point. I really have no idea which way to go; part of me wants to go with the Jets, part of me wants the Fins. With Miami coming off the bye and Jay MF Ajayi, how can you not pick the Fins?

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants (-2.5)
Lucas: Giants. I'm a week late on this bandwagon, but the whole Josh Brown situation is a fiasco. Goodell needs to be fired. Out of a cannon. Into the sun.
Adam: Eagles. Just not loving the G-men this year. They seem to have lost something... and Bison man seems to be taking hold very well for the Eagles.
Lucas note: Go Bison.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens (-0.5)
Lucas: Ravens. I know Mike Tomlin isn't ruling out Big Ben, but dude just had meniscus surgery not even three weeks ago. And given the Ravens' recent success against Pittsburgh, I'll ride them at home with the uncertain quarterback situation for the Steelers. 
Adam: Steelers. With a healthy Ben, this would be nowhere close to a pick 'em. With Ben out it could be more challenging for Brown to get started and he is banged up a little. Bell should do just fine though.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Carolina Panthers @ Los Angeles Rams (+3.5)
Lucas: Rams. Hey, I'm just going by what the chart says.

Adam: Rams. Not sure what I am thinking here. I just see a break out game for Gurley plus getting points at home. Look what the Rams did earlier this year against a solid D in Seattle. I am probably going to be way wrong, but I like the points at home.

New Orleans Saints @ San Francisco 49ers (+3.5)
Lucas: Saints. Thinking about home field advantages again, and the Santa Clara 49ers have one of the worst according to Vegas. Combine that with Drew Brees going against them and I'll lay the points. 
Adam: Saints. I am happy to give 3.5 to San Francisco at home and take my point, thank you very much.

Indianapolis Colts @ Green Bay Packers (-6.5)
Lucas: Packers. With Aaron Rodgers looking more like Aaron Rodgers the past couple weeks, I can R-E-L-A-X a little bit, especially against a broken secondary. 
Adam: Colts. Not sure I am convinced that Green Bay will be all that high powered as they have been in the past. With injuries gumming up the running game and Rodgers not able to start much I like Indy in a surprise upset straight up,  but I'll take the points too and be happy.

Tennessee Titans @ San Diego Chargers (-5.5)
Lucas: Titans. I'm sorry, the Chargers should not be favored by this much at home. Except maybe if they're hosting Cleveland. 
Adam: Chargers. I am a little concerned about the 5.5 San Diego is giving to a much improving Tenn offense, but the Bolts have looked fine despite the run of injuries early in the season.

Sunday Night

Denver Broncos @ Oakland Raiders (+0.5)
Lucas: Raiders. First Sunday Night game for the Raiders in a decade? Something tells me they'll be amped up for this one. 
Adam: Broncos. Not sure I agree with the pick 'em status of this game. I would have Denver giving a few more points. I mean, Oakland had how many penalties last week? Oh yeah, the most ever in an NFL game.

Monday Night

Buffalo Bills @ Seattle Seahawks (-7.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Seattle is 22-8 all time on Monday Night Football, and given the recent history of shady [stuff] happening at CenturyLink on Monday nights, I'm not taking any chances. 
Adam: Seahawks. I just don't see how even getting 7.5 the Bills will be able to cover. I know Seattle does not score a lot, so maybe the points would be ok, but I just don't trust the Bills or McCoy (if he plays) right now.

Records So Far
Lucas: 54-66 (6-7 last week)
Adam: 60-60 (4-9 last week)
Scott: 57-63 (8-5 last week)
Grant: 58-62 (4-9 last week)
Logan: 59-61 (7-6 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment