Thursday, October 16, 2014

COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 7

The coalition is back at it again! Week 7 of the NFL season is upon us, and with it, another set of picks against the ESPN spread!

Adam finally broke the Curse of the Even Weeks, while I saw my first sub-.500 week since Week 2. It was bound to happen, but I'm still about on pace with a coin flip. Adam also won the week head to head, as he took four of the six games we disagreed on. I still hold the lead on him overall, but I'm not in first in the group anymore, as we had someone go 13-2. He missed two games we all missed, so there's no shame in the two losses there.

This week Philadelphia and Tampa Bay have the byes, so we have a 15 game week again. Adam and I disagree on five of those, so Adam has a chance to retake the lead. Part of this will depend on if he learned one of the rules of gambling. See below for details.

Let's get to the picks!

Thursday Night

New York Jets @ New England Patriots (-9.5)
Lucas: Patriots. "WHY PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT GRONK INTERVIEW ON FOX? GRONK WANT OFFENSIVE LINEMEN PARTY WITH GRONK. LINEMEN PLAY GREAT JOB SO GRONK CAN PARTY WITH SEXY LADIES AND BE WINGMAN TO LINEMEN SO WE CAN ALL PARTY WITH SEXY LADIES."

Adam: Patriots. Look for Brady to return to form and light up the stats.  Maybe I was a week early on my Gronk prediction. 
Adam note: I could make an argument for ½ point seeing as Gronk got a TD taken away by apenalty, and I hit his receiving pretty well.  But alas, I will take the loss on this.  To date I am 3.5-2.5.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Baltimore Ravens (-6.5)
Lucas: Ravens. Thought about taking the points, but I really don't see anything to make me believe 2013 was much in the way of a fluke.
Adam: Ravens. Flacco for 5 TDs. That will never happen again. But the Ravens offense seems to be putting a beat down on everyone so far this season without Ray Rice…
Lucas note:

Minnesota Vikings @ Buffalo Bills (-4.5)
Lucas: Bills. Let's see, the defense tied for the second most sacks against the team that's taken the second most sacks? I'd guess we'll be seeing a lot of this.
Adam: Bills. They seem legit this year… not sure what else to say about them.

Miami Dolphins @ Chicago Bears (-3.5)
Lucas: Bears. I know the Bears defense isn't great, but it's not like Ryan Tannehill is going up against a ton of backups, and Knowshon Moreno is hurt.
Adam: Bears. Looks like the offense started to hum pretty well last week against a weak Falcons D.  With Moreno out for the season, the workload will fall to Miller. I just do not think he has was it takes to be a lead back week after week.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Indianapolis Colts (-2.5)
Lucas: Colts. Taking the fast-paced, high-scoring offense at home. Also, Vontaze Burfict is a thug. I can't believe he only got a $25,000 fine for this crap. Oh wait, this is the NFL we're talking about. Yes I can.
Adam: Colts.  It is unlikely to see Bernard snap off another 80 yd TD run. With AJ Green sidelined for what looks like a few weeks the heavy lifting with fall to Bernard.

Cleveland Browns @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+4.5)
Lucas: Browns. Part of me is a little surprised the line isn't a little bigger. Either way, I'm in on Cleveland. 
Adam: Browns. OK, the Browns are the real deal this year. Cameron exploded for 100+ yds and a TD. I think this is going to be the norm going forward until Gordon gets back.

New Orleans Saints @ Detroit Lions (-2.5)
Lucas: Lions. I continue to have zero faith in the Saints' defense. And yes, that's even if Bush and Megatron miss a second straight game.
Adam: Saints. Coming off a bye week the team should be rested up. I know they will not have Graham, but I am looking to 1st year receiver Cooks to light it up as he did in the 1st game of the year. Prediction: 8-125-1.

Carolina Panthers @ Green Bay Packers (-6.5)
Lucas: Packers. Hey, Scott Kacsmar... still think Aaron Rodgers isn't clutch?
Adam: Panthers. GB just barely was able to slip by Miami in a nail biter with 3 seconds left on the clock…Let that sink in…3 SECONDS. In other news, apparently Aaron Rodgers wanted to attend my alma mater Illinois, but they passed on him… this just shows you how good the recruiting is down in Chambana (that’s Champaign/Urbana for all you non-Illinois fans).
Lucas note: But they recruited Wheaton-Warrenville South stud QB Reilly O'Toole, who won a couple state titles! Sure, he's only thrown for 1500 yards and only has 11 touchdowns to 13 picks in Chambana... but still! Reilly O'Toole!

Tennessee Titans @ Washington Redskins (-4.5)
Lucas: Titans. Taking the points because this game sucks. 
Adam: Redskins. Kurt – Mother F***ing – Cousins. He cannot have another bad game… can he?

Seattle Seahawks @ St. Louis Rams (+6.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. There's definitely some vulnerability with this Seattle team now. Unfortunately for the Rams, I don't think they can exploit it.
Adam: Seahawks. Seattle’s D gave up 100+ yards to Murray in a surprise W by Dallas. I don’t see them losing or even a close game. Now, the question of the day: Who has more rushing yards, Lynch or Wilson? I say if it is Wilson, that means the game is close and Wilson is passing which means trouble for the Seahawks.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Kansas City Chiefs @ San Diego Chargers (-4.5)
Lucas: Chargers. I figure taking San Diego at home with three fewer points on the spread is a safer bet than taking an eight point spread on the road. 
Adam: Chargers. I think it is about time to Allen to take over as the feature WR that he should be.

New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys (-6.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. ...We're sure this is the same Jerry Jones and he hasn't been replaced by a clone with the football knowledge of someone not named Jerry Jones, right?
Adam: Cowboys. This should be a good game, and I think high scoring. But I see Murray going for 7 weeks in a row at 100+ yards.

Arizona Cardinals @ Oakland Raiders (+3.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. God bless you, Rashad Johnson, for saving me from having a worse week last week.
Adam: Raiders. Going out on a limb here. They are playing with some passion.

Sunday Night

San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos (-6.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Remember, everyone: Don't bet against Peyton Manning at night. (I missed you, Simmons.)
Adam: 49ers. Manning should get close, if not break the record here this week. But 49ers keep it close.
Lucas note: Be careful with this pick, sir. :P

Monday Night

Houston Texans @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-3.5)
Lucas: Texans. We live in a world where J.J. Watt has more touchdowns than anyone on the Steelers not named Antonio Brown. I'm scared. And Big Ben should be too.
Adam: Texans. I have no faith in the Steelers right now.

Records So Far
Lucas: 48-41 (7-8 last week)
Adam: 46-43 (9-6 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment