Thursday, September 18, 2014

COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 3

We're onto Week 3 of the NFL season, and it's been a very weird season so far. There's a four-way tie for first in the NFC North, and the Buffalo Bills are the only 2-0 team in the AFC East. Obviously, this is a small sample size and proves why we need those 16 games to determine the best teams in a given season.

I think Adam and I forgot this last week. We had a first in this contest's history: we differed on three games, and I got all three of them. But we combined to go 4-9 on our groupthink games. Some of it was overreaction to Week 1, others of it was the parity of the NFL being on full display.

Overall, I'm tied for first, as three-year contestant Mark Murphy had a monster week despite forgetting his Thursday night pick. He has that going for him, as well as the fact that he's an Internet celebrity now. Fun times in the COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Contest!

On another fun note, I'm pleased to announce that I am the new NFC North reporter for UKEndzone, a UK-based football site discussing both the professional and college games. I'm thrilled to join their team. You can read my first piece for them here, and I'll be sure to share more of my work as it becomes available!

Even with this new gig, I'm not abandoning COAS. I'm having too much fun. So we're going onto the third week of picks against the spread. This week, Adam and I concur on 12 of the 16 games, so he's got a chance to retake the lead again. Let's get to it.



Thursday Night

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Atlanta Falcons (-6.5)
Lucas: Falcons. I have no problem with the rule that forces a clock runoff for guys down on the field when a team is out of timeouts. It's just unfortunate that a legitimately hurting player forced this rule to come into play and thus end a Bucs comeback attempt. It doesn't get any easier this week in Atlanta.
Adam: Falcons. Jones has had a relatively quiet 200+ yards over 2 games so far this season.  I see Jones and Ryan hooking up early and often in this game. Let the Falcons fly!

Sunday, Early Afternoon

San Diego Chargers @ Buffalo Bills (-2.5)
Lucas: Bills. Only to keep the September narrative alive. For future reference, prognosticators: Never Bet Against God, Puppies, or The First Home Game of a Team Who Has a Prominent Figure Fighting/Defeating Cancer. (This text was sent to Grantland's Bill Simmons. Hopefully it will show up in his mailbag/picks column tomorrow. Stay tuned.) 
Adam: Chargers. Not sure why I seem to be so surprised at the lines anymore.  The Bills have certainly impressed so far this season, but I still see them as a C-class team with what’s his name as QB.  Also Rivers' explosion last week is about to get real…  Chargers straight up.

Tennessee Titans @ Cincinnati Bengals (-6.5)
Lucas: Bengals. We have a team roughly in the middle of pack in sacks at home against a guy who's taken the fifth-most (tied) sacks in the league. Consider this "Shingeki no Jake Locker".
Lucas note: I just wanted an excuse to play the Attack on Titan theme again. It's a great song.
Adam: Bengals…See exhibit A below….need I say more…
Lucas note: That's right. Adam just based a pick off of cheerleaders.

Baltimore Ravens @ Cleveland Browns (+1.5)
Lucas: Browns. I'm starting to believe in this Cleveland team. Brian Hoyer has been competent, and the Browns are getting points at home. Let's try the home dog.
Adam: Ravens. Slightly impressed with how the Browns have been doing so far this season, with the possibility of getting Gordon back later this season should make Browns fans high…(see what I did there, it’s a pot joke!)… On the Raven’s side, maybe the Beater will show Goodell the one- two punch to get back in the league…(see what I did there,…oh you get it).
Lucas note: I think he wins the appeal; out for 6 games to the season. I doubt anyone picks him up right away though. But eventually, someone will prioritize on-field results over off-field behavior.

Dallas Cowboys @ St. Louis Rams (+0.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. And half of you laughed at me when I took Dallas again last week... I still think they'll contend up until Week 17. I know how this works.
Adam: Cowboys. See prior comment about the line. This one is crazy to me, but hey, I went 4/16 last week so what do I know.  Anyway, Murray had been tearing it up so far, at least after he gives up his trade-marked fumbleruski on the opening drive.  

Green Bay Packers @ Detroit Lions (-1.5)
Lucas: Packers. Taking out sack numbers, the Lions are allowing 6.6 yards per pass attempt through two games (adding in sacks drop the numbers to 5.3 yards, which keeps them in the top 10 in pass defense through those same two games). Then again, the Lions have faced Eli Manning (haha) and Cam Newton. If Bryan Bulaga can go/Derek Sherrod figures out his struggles... uh oh.
Adam: Lions. If for no other reason than I hated myself for picking the Packers last week and what did it get me… nothing.  Though I must say I nailed Rodgers stat line. I predicted 350yds/3td - Actual 346yd/3td.  And Boom goes the dynamite.
Lucas note:


Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+6.5)
Lucas: Colts. Monday night was the first time the Colts have lost back to back games in the Andrew Luck era. I don't see it becoming three in a row. Not with Jacksonville getting killed by Kirk Cousins.
Adam: Colts. When will the Colts realize that Bradshaw is their best RB?  For their sake and my FFB team’s sake it better be soon.

Oakland Raiders @ New England Patriots (-14.5)
Lucas: Raiders. I picked the Broncos -27.5 last year against Jacksonville. This is the early 2014 equivalent. As much as I want to take the Pats... these huge lines make me nervous. I look forward to your 500 yard, six touchdown day, Tom Brady.
Adam: LA Raiders. Oh sorry, Oakland Raiders.  I learned the other day from some random dude on the Radio that you should always take the point when it is double digits.

Minnesota Vikings @ New Orleans Saints (-10.5)
Lucas: Vikings. I'd made up my mind Tuesday morning that I wasn't going to pick the Vikings out of disgust for their reactivation of Adrian Peterson going forward. Then they decided to put him on some fancy list that I'd never heard of to keep him away. Even though they now have minimal weapons for Matt Cassel... I'm just not comfortable giving the points with how bad Rob Ryan's defense has been.
Adam: Saints. I don’t have to explain why this week…shame on you Minnesota.


Houston Texans @ New York Giants (+2.5)
Lucas: Texans. Who's going to throw the first touchdown to JJ Watt: Ryan Fitzpatrick or Eli Manning?
Adam: Texans. J.J. Watt for a TD…YES… I would have loved to have been a fly in that huddle last week…“Dice Right – Jose – 47 Ice Cream – Watts. And break.”

Washington Redskins @ Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5)
Lucas: Eagles. I bet this offense gets going in the first half for once. Also, get well soon, RGIII.
Adam: Eagles. Wow does the 1-2 combo of McCoy and Sproles look almost unstoppable. Prediction -McCoy for 120 yards and 2 TD, and Sproles with 75 passing and a TD.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

San Francisco 49ers @ Arizona Cardinals (+2.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. I doubt Kaepernick turns it over four times again. But Patrick Peterson > Kyle Fuller, and the Cardinals have proved feisty through two weeks.
Adam: Cardinals. 49ers will certainly be looking to come back after a devastating loss last week to my Bears. I think they crumble rather than rebound. Also look for Fitzgerald to light it up.

Denver Broncos @ Seattle Seahawks (-4.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Even though they got beat by San Diego last week, I'm sticking to my guns of "Don't pick against the Seahawks at home." As long as the first snap doesn't go over Peyton's head/the Broncos have proper kickoff coverage, they might make this one more competitive than XLVIII was. 
Adam: Seahawks. Oh this game is going to be fun. I would suspect to see Orange Julius to have another huge game with D. Thomas being defended by Sherman most of the game. But nothing can compare to BEAST MODE.  Lynch will go off on the weaker Denver D.

Kansas City Chiefs @ Miami Dolphins (-4.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Andy Reid heard there were Cuban sandwiches in the locker room.
Adam:  Dolphins. KC on the downswing and Miami on the upswing…I got nothing else.

Sunday Night

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Carolina Panthers (-3.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Riverboat Ron has his defense looking pretty good again this year, and I still think the Steelers are overrated. They nearly allowed a comeback win at home to Cleveland and got killed by Baltimore.
Adam: Panthers.  I was not taken much by Pitt’s performance last Thursday against the Ravens.  Plus the Panthers D is pretty solid and will be able to shut down Bell.

Monday Night

Chicago Bears @ New York Jets (-2.5)
Lucas: Bears. Hold on, I'm not done laughing at Marty Mornhinweg yet.

Side note: speedy recovery to Peanut Tillman. As my condolences to my Bears fan readers, here's a GIF of Peanut Tillman's legendary ball punch that you can watch on loop for hours on end.
Adam: Bears. Solid comeback by the Bears last week, reminds me of another time a few years back…
Lucas note: Denny Green is the best.

Records So Far
Lucas: 16-16 (7-9 last week)
Adam: 15-17 (4-12 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment