Thursday, September 11, 2014

COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 2

It's been a crazy football week, especially in the NFL. At least on the field, things were for the most part normal.

It was a pretty strong debut for the coalition for the COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em. I stayed on my 2013 pace, but it has me in 2nd place out of four competitors this season. You can view the standings so far here.

So this week, Adam and I are at the picks again. Can I regain some ground in a follow up effort? This week, groupthink prevails, as we only disagree on 3 out of 16 picks. Doesn't bode too well for an early comeback and a flip in the standings. Let's take a look at the picks.



Thursday Night

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens (-2.5)
Lucas: Ravens. I wouldn't bet on two bad weeks in a row at M&T. Even with all the Ray Rice fallout.
Adam:  Ravens. Steelers. With Rice getting ready to come back after his 2 game suspension next week... wait what... Rice has been kicked out of the league? Scratch the Ravens.  Pittsburgh all the way.

Sunday, Early Afternooon

Atlanta Falcons @ Cincinnati Bengals (-5.5)
Lucas: Falcons. As good as Atlanta looked in their opener (568 yards of offense!), I feel like I should take the points here. 
Adam: Falcons. Another interesting game this week.  Both teams have solid offenses and it should be a high scoring game.  I take the over in this game whatever it is. With Ryan slinging the ball last week for over 400 yards and Cincinnati not being able to convert several times. I have to go with Hotlanta.

Miami Dolphins @ Buffalo Bills (+0.5)
Lucas: Bills. NOBODY CIRCLES THE WAGONS....
Adam: Dolphins.  Surprised the Bills would not be getting more points.  Miami took care of business last  week against the Pats.  Bills are a weaker team that was handed a gift win last week.  There is no way the Bills are even close in this game.

New Orleans Saints @ Cleveland Browns (+6.5)
Lucas: Saints. The Saints aren't quite the same team away from the Superdome, but I doubt their defense gets torched like they did on Sunday. Also, Drew Brees.
Adam: Saints. We have a team that drops the ball with a team that cannot find the ball.  Bad bad loss last week for NO. And the Browns stayed with Pitt better than I thought.  In any case I am making my choice this week based on which city I would rather live in.  I think this choice is obvious.

Dallas Cowboys @ Tennessee Titans (-3.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. Tony, you do know it's September, right?
Photo from www.star-telegram.com
Adam:  Titans. Dallas looked AWFUL.  Only Murray had anything that looked ok, and he coughed up a fumble on the 3rd play of the game…

Detroit Lions @ Carolina Panthers (-2.5)
Lucas: Lions. Megatron is on pace for a 2624 yard, 32 touchdown season. On 112 catches. Let me dig back to my 2012 archives...
Adam: Lions. Newton will be back for the Panthers and their offense should be good.  But an aging fair to good TE (Olsen) and a boom or bust rookie wide out (Benjamin) against a gun slinger (Stafford) and a superhuman (Johnson) this game should be entertaining.

New England Patriots @ Minnesota Vikings (+3.5)
Lucas: Patriots. My brother-in-law sent a Jay Cutler/Aaron Rodgers knock knock joke about the Packers being 0-1 on Friday. The Bears then proceeded to lose. Meanwhile, on Tuesday my dad wanted to get his trash talk in while he could, and sent me the below picture. History therefore dictates that the Pats will win.
Adam: Patriots. Did I miss something last week? I know the Pats lost to a suprise Miami and Minn won against a pitiful Ram team but a 3.5 line is an insult to the Pats.  Once Gronk is 100% the Pats are going to roll.

Arizona Cardinals @ New York Giants (-1.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. So wait. We get an early gift of Eli Manning Face combined with a poor outing from him, and I'm getting 1.5 points the following week? He was playing the Lions, for goodness sake.
Photo from @Steve_OS
Adam: Cardinals. I thought AZ looked good in a come from behind win over SD.  I am surprised AZ is not giving more points.  But it must be the home field for the Giants that is not sneaking this one up a few more points.  I would also point to Ellington looked fair, and if he can kick the foot issue, AZ could be dangerous.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Washington Redskins (-5.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. Both Adam and I thought for sure early in the afternoon on Sunday I'd get away with taking the points. I'll try it again, bearing in mind that Philly's offense >>>> Washington's offense. 
Adam: Jaguars. Jags looked solid in the first half against the Eagles and Washington, what can I say good    about them.  In a battle of bad, I take the Jags to win outright.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

St. Louis Rams @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-5.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. "We're getting ready to start the second quarter of the first quarter of our season. We like our team. Josh is our quarterback. We have a lot of football left to play. Injury-wise, I'm probable with a sore arm after figuring out how the cannons on the pirate ship works. I'm surprised those still work after all the abuse they took from Coach Schiano before me."
Adam: Buccaneers. In another battle of bad, St. Louis should just pack in their year, rest up Stacy and keep him healthy, give some of the 2nd and 3rd stringers a chance to get serious game time.  But let’s look at the other side of the coin, TB looks like they could be in a tough spot.  Martin having some issues with   his knees.  

Seattle Seahawks @ San Diego Chargers (+5.5) 
Lucas: Seahawks. Even though Seattle isn't quite the same team on the road, I don't see how they don't win by a touchdown at least here. I like the Bolts... just not this week. 
Adam: Seahawks. While I liked what I saw with Rivers and SD Monday night, the Defense is not getting any easier this time around.  Look for Seattle to shut down Allen. I may have to sit him in my fantasy league.

Kansas City Chiefs @ Denver Broncos (-13.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Denver looked pretty good before coasting against Indy. Back door cover alert! 
Adam: Chiefs. I am little surprised by this large of a line this early in the year.  Sure KC has been on a down ward track since mid-last season, but they are not 13.5 bad.  Look for Charles to have a rebound game and maybe Bowe can live up to his contract for one game.

New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers (-8.5)
Lucas: Packers. Okay, now that Green Bay went up to Seattle and took their lumps, the worst test on the schedule this side of visiting the Superdome is past. Let a pissed off Aaron Rodgers be able to use the whole field this week... uh oh. 
Adam: Packers. It almost pains me to pick them, but the Jets don’t really have much, and the high powered offense of GB will run wild.  I can see Rodgers throwing for 350 yards and 3 TD.

Houston Texans @ Oakland Raiders (+2.5)
Lucas: Texans. You think Matt Schaub is secretly grateful he's backing up Derek Carr this week? I mean, for years he had protection from JJ Watt in the form of a red jersey. Now he's got a clipboard to protect him. As long as Carr stays on the field, because if Schaub comes out, we could see a repeat of his 2012 PSA.
Adam: Texans. Andre Johnson was held in check a little but I see him having a big game.  Besides, does anyone care about Oakland when they have the 49er right across the bay?
Lucas note: They're big in LA from the short time they relocated there. I saw a few pro-Raiders segments on the KTLA Morning News in the last month even though everybody knows they're going 4-12.

Sunday Night

Chicago Bears @ San Francisco 49ers (-7.5)
Lucas: 49ers. If you'd asked me this a week ago, I'd have picked the Bears and called the people in Vegas stupid for this line. Then the 49ers looked better than I had expected and we got the hysterical reminder that Chris Conte is still Chris Conte. Have fun, Frank Gore.
Adam: 49ers. Wow, not only do I pick GB this week, but I am also not picking the Bears… someone get me the drink fast… San Fran looks good and the Bears D has not been what I was hoping it would be through pre-season and week 1.

Monday Night

Philadelphia Eagles @ Indianapolis Colts (-2.5)
Lucas: Colts. Give me a reasonable line and I'll pretty much pick the following teams at home automatically: Seattle, New England, (now) Atlanta, probably New Orleans... and Indy. The Colts are 13-3 at Lucas Oil the past two seasons, including wins over Denver, Seattle, Green Bay, and Minnesota the year Adrian Peterson went bonkers. Especially with this matchup forecasting a shootout... give me the home team whose quarterback is Luck and whose mascot is a freaking horseshoe.
Adam: Colts. Richardson sucks, but I hate Philly.

Records So Far
Lucas: 9-7
Adam: 11-5

No comments:

Post a Comment