Thursday, October 24, 2013

COAS/SSLYAR Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 8

Momentum is a fickle thing.

After one week of picking games, Nathaniel actually held a slim lead over me before I bounced back. At this point we've slowed down from our early success and are seeing some lower scoring weeks. Maybe we're thinking wrong about teams after seven weeks, maybe parity actually rules. Probably a little of both.

I saw Nathaniel for the first time in a while last week and the first thing he told me was, "You're kicking my ass in [Pigskin Pick 'Em]." Which is somewhat true; I hold an 8 game lead. But there are 10 weeks left, and plenty of time for me to fall off the table.

In Week 8, we disagree on 5 of the 13 games on the slate. As I was entering these, it seemed like we agreed on more than 8 games, but all the disagreements got clustered together. Might have been part of it. So at least for this week, my lead is safe. But how safe? Let's find out.

Thursday Night
Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+6.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Carolina has started to look a little better as the season has gone on. Facing a terrible Bucs team helps. And seriously... how soon until Bucs fans shoot Greg Schiano out of the cannon to get him out of town?
Nathaniel: Panthers. Now that they’ve actually played up to their potential the past two weeks, I’m ready for Carolina to go back to wild underachievement since I’m picking them again this week. That’s our sick and twisted relationship for you!

Sunday, Early Afternoon
Buffalo Bills @ New Orleans Saints (-12.5)
Lucas: Bills. The Saints are really good, I can't dispute that. But I'm not entirely convinced that they're almost 2 scores better. I'm taking the points.
Nathaniel: Bills. The Saints will obviously win the game, but Doug Marrone’s done a good job of coaxing every bit of talent out of a roster that doesn’t have very much to begin with. Not loving how high the line is.

Cleveland Browns @ Kansas City Chiefs (-7.5)
Lucas: Browns. What does it say about me that I picked the Browns even when I figured Brandon Weeden was starting? Now with Jason Campbell? Bring it on.
Nathaniel: Browns. Looking forward to Brandon Weeden going up against the best defense in the league! I won’t regret this pick at all, I’m sure.

Dallas Cowboys @ Detroit Lions (-2.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. New strategy against Detroit's offense. 3 man rush, single cover everyone except Megatron. Clearly you need 4 guys to beat him when amazingly, 3 aren't enough. I continue to wonder... how the hell did he make this catch?!

Nathaniel: Cowboys. Real reason I’m taking Dallas: it’s a coin flip and I’m just taking the points. Fake reason I’m taking Dallas: in a real life death match between the two, an armed cowboy would probably be able to shoot a lion often enough to severely injure and eventually kill it. Just my two cents.

Miami Dolphins @ New England Patriots (-6.5)
Lucas: Patriots. I honestly have no idea what to make of the Dolphins anymore. Also, put Tom Brady at home and you usually know what happens. Arguably the most underrated home field advantage in the league.
Nathaniel: Dolphins. GRONK MISS DAYS WHEN GISELE HUSBAND ACTUALLY THROW BALL ACCURATE. GRONK FELT MUCH STRONGER CONNECTION WITH GISELE HUSBAND BACK THEN. SADLY MAGIC NOW GONE.

New York Giants @ Philadelphia Eagles (-5.5)
Lucas: Eagles. So take a team with no pass rush... put them up against a fairly competent quarterback... in a warp speed offense that, granted, has been overrated... I don't see Eli keeping up this time. (Random aside: if you haven't already, Googling "Eli Manning face" is amazing.)

Nathaniel: Giants. FUN FACT: last Monday Night’s game against the Vikings was the first time the Giants turned the ball over fewer than three times in a single game all season. PROGRESS. They are obviously deserving of our undying trust now.

San Francisco 49ers vs Jacksonville Jaguars (+16.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. These guys have covered two weeks in a row. I realize that yeah, they haven't scored a touchdown at home, but I think they could still cover.
Nathaniel: 49ers. Cue to 8.174 million Londoners scratching their heads in unison and saying, “You know, if one of the two NFL games we’re going to get a year is going to involve the Jaguars…then we really don’t need that second game, thanks!”

Sunday, Late Afternoon
New York Jets @ Cincinnati Bengals (-6.5)
Lucas: Jets. It's amazing what you can do when you don't have a quarterback who runs into his offensive lineman's ass under center. The Jets may not be a contender, but they're a better team than a lot of people thought coming into the year.
Nathaniel: Jets. The Jets still seem to be fighting the massively negative reputation they were pegged with in the offseason because they’ve turned into a half-decent team this year yet have probably been getting three or four more points a game than they really should be. I’m okay with that trend, though!

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Oakland Raiders (+2.5)
Lucas: Steelers. Neither of these teams are good, but I'd trust the Steelers sooner than I'd trust the Raiders.
Nathaniel: Raiders. Two teams with 2-4 records – one has a point differential of -25, the other’s is -27. This line should be Oakland by 2.5 or 3.5, but two wins in a row seems to be making people think the Steelers are the Steelers of old again. Maybe I’ll believe that after they hit four in a row.

Atlanta Falcons @ Arizona Cardinals (-2.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Playing a hunch here away from the Georgia Dome. We haven't heard much out of the desert this season, could work well for them.
Nathaniel: Falcons. I know the Cardinals pull a lot of games out of their keesters when they play at home in the desert, but even with that in mind I don’t understand why they’re favored over the Falcons.

Washington Redskins @ Denver Broncos (-13.5)
Lucas: Redskins. This is going to be a shootout to end all shootouts. Both secondaries are bad, and I'm not sure how Washington's D would be worse: with the thug Brandon Meriweather or without him? Also, Trindon Holliday is probably still battling PTSD from Pat McAfee this past Sunday.
Nathaniel: Redskins. RGIII looked pretty close to all the way back last week and 13.5 points is a massive spread to defend when you have a bad defense going up against a good offense.

Sunday Night
Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings (+9.5)
Lucas: Packers. Sure, Aaron Rodgers is only missing 3 of his top 4 receivers. But Jaaaaash Freeman did not look good last week AT ALL. Also, when the top running back in the league is getting outrun in a half by Eli freaking Manning... have fun, Ragnar.
Nathaniel: Packers. A SLIGHTLY less interesting Sunday Night matchup than Peyton’s return to Indianapolis last week.

Monday Night
Seattle Seahawks @ St. Louis Rams (+10.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. I think even with Sam Bradford I would have taken Seattle here. My goodness, the Rams are awful.
Nathaniel: Seahawks. Tickets are available for $7 on StubHub for this game as I write this. Kellen Clemens apparently inspires a great deal of confidence in the people of St. Louis. Either that or there’s a 90% chance the Cardinals will be playing Game 5 of the World Series less than a mile away. One of the two.
Lucas Note: You could go then, you know... much better than watching those lucky bastards pull games out of their keesters they don't deserve at an admittedly beautiful ballpark. Did I mention I hate the Cardinals?

Records So Far
Lucas: 58-50 (6-9 last week)
Nathaniel: 50-58 (5-10 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment