Friday, October 18, 2013

2013 NCAA FBS Rankings: Week 8

I'm running behind schedule this week. Considering the travel I had planned this past weekend to California, I didn't get a chance to input numbers for this week's schedule. What also didn't help matters is the fact that I lost my original spreadsheet that had all my numbers for the season to date. I'm sunk. So, I had to completely rebuild the database from scratch.

Fortunately, after a couple hours of intensive effort I was able to rebuild the rankings and we should be ready to go again. The haves and have-nots are starting to distinguish themselves in college football, but I'm not quite ready yet to start setting up playoff seedings. That should be coming soon. So for this week, another in the grand scheme of conference play, here are the updated rankings. You can view last week's here.

1. Conference USA (0.14, 6.79; LW: 1). Rice visits New Mexico State. Also I goofed a little bit somewhere earlier.
2. MAC (0.23, 6.46; LW: 2). Kent State visits South Alabama and Toledo hosts Navy. Somewhere, I messed up here too.
3. Sun Belt (0.13, 6.00; LW: 3). South Alabama hosts Kent State, but I made a mistake somewhere to make the effect null and void.
4. American Athletic (0.20, 5.10; LW: 5). Houston hosts BYU and Temple gets Army.
5. Mountain West (0.00, 5.08; LW: 4). No change. Somehow the numbers weren't impacted despite my taking the points out for the postponed Colorado-Fresno State game.
6. Big Ten (0.00, 4.17; LW: 6). No change, but I goofed with the original numbers somewhere.
7. SEC (0.00, 3.43; LW: 7). No change, other than adjustments with the reset.
8. ACC (0.07, 3.14, LW: 9). Pitt hosts Old Dominion. And in the rebuild, apparently I had given the ACC one too many points somewhere. Not sure where the discrepancy is.
9. Pac-12 (0.17, 3.00; LW: 8). USC visits Notre Dame. I also tweaked Colorado's numbers to account for the postponement of their game against Fresno State, which should explain the drop in points.
10. Big 12 (0.00, 2.80; LW: 10). No change. I was short a couple points here as well, and this has been updated.

So from the looks of things, I messed up on my original calculations. That, or I messed these up. Hopefully not. Anyway, not a lot of change overall in the standings. I think I just missed a few points here and there and we should be good to go now. Depending on how many unbeatens fall, I may be able to start the seedings following this weekend's slate of games. I don't want too many of those teams to clog the playoffs and complicate things.

No comments:

Post a Comment