Monday, January 23, 2012

Sports ≥ Life?

This is probably going to be one of the more complicated posts I end up putting on here. I wanted to do something regarding the passing of Joe Paterno, but in light of some recent social media events (as well as mass media events too, I suppose), I'm putting his death into perspective.

I'll admit, I was fooled briefly on Saturday when a Penn State student newspaper broke the news that Joe Pa had passed away, and I retweeted the original post... only to find out a couple minutes later that the story was in fact false. I took down the retweet and felt bad that I had fallen for it, especially since I had checked ESPN and other sources to try and confirm what I had heard. When I saw it on ESPN's website yesterday morning with confirmation from the family, you knew it was official.

The lesson in all of this? Yes, it was a big mistake on the part of a young up-and-coming journalist, but it's rule number one. Check your facts before you post something. I always want to do my research before I post something, and it's always good to have data to back up your claims. You learn this in your basic writing classes even before college. The editor of said PSU paper did resign after his mistake, so he was at least accountable. CBS did later on too, but from a professional organization, you expect better.

As for Paterno himself, it's a complicated mess. I haven't been sure what to say about it, as I am not an avid college football fan, other than trying to incite people towards a playoff. Had he passed away 10 years ago, I'm not sure I would have known who he was. To me he was the guy who was at Penn State forever. History will show him as the winningest coach in D-I history, and a legend, as well he should be remembered. But fairly or not, history will also remember him as the guy who "should have done more" about the Sandusky allegations. Yesterday morning I was listening to John Kincade on the way to church, and he said we need to remember everything about Joe Pa, not just bits and pieces. That means Penn State fans need to take the controversy with the wins, and haters need to remember that despite the presence of an alleged pedophile in the football facilities, Paterno was still a good football coach and someone who strove to help boys grow into strong young men, though some say he got off easy, passing away just a couple months after being fired, without really a chance to reflect on what he'd allowed to happen.



And that gets to the main point I wanted to get across. Some people, when hearing Saturday that his health was deteriorating, said it was "good" that he was dying. And just yesterday in the wake of San Francisco fumbling away its shot at the Super Bowl, Niner fans were letting Kyle Williams have it on Twitter... and not in a good way.

Let's be clear here. Sports can be a fun outlet for trash talk. I will get in on it from time to time, and if you dish it out, you have to be prepared to receive it. But there are certain things that are off-limits, and death wishes definitely cross that line. Athletes and coaches are human. They make mistakes. Some are small (Aaron Rodgers missing a wide open Greg Jennings on a first quarter throw that probably makes it 7-3 Packers and changes the outlook of that ballgame, possibly making a Packers-Patriots Super Bowl), some are a little bigger (Kyle Williams' fumble in overtime yesterday), and some can be life-altering (Joe Paterno not doing enough to stop Jerry Sandusky from doing Sandusky things). But at the end of the day, we have to remember that this is sports. Sports is a major part of life, but it shouldn't consume us. I have an ongoing grudge against Alex Gonzalez for botching the double play in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS, but that doesn't mean I want him dead. And the Niner fans who said they wish Kyle Williams (and his family?! REALLY?!) should die need to have their heads examined. You do not, under any circumstances, wish death on someone's family. I've been through that hell. Were it up to me, no one should have to go through it.

Sports can be a great way to unite people, but also to teach us life lessons. We can lose out on an opportunity at greatness... but life goes on. Aaron Rodgers will be back next year with Green Bay. Kyle Williams will have an opportunity to work out in the offseason, reflect on that play, and learn from it to become a better football player. Alex Gonzalez continued to play in the MLB after that error. At the end of the day, it's just a game, and there are far more important things in life than who was better at throwing an irregularly shaped ball down a grassy field to a guy wearing plastic armor amongst other armored men trying to clobber you, or tall guys trying to throw an orange ball into a metal cylinder 10 feet above the ground.

I am a sports fan, but it should not take precedence over life and death. Not ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment