Thursday, December 7, 2017

2017 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 14

With four weeks to go, the coalition is getting bunched up as we continue to pick NFL games against the spread!

I mentioned last week that we could have a change in the leaderboard, and we did: I took six of nine disputed games last week, which wasn't quite enough to catapult me to the top, but it helped propel Geoffrey Clark to the top, and just one game separates the three of us, with my dad within sight behind us.

You can also view a full breakdown of how we've picked games in relation to each other here, including the correct standings which take into account the fact that Adam and I have both screwed up some picks on ESPN, making those standings a little off.

This week, we disagree on just five games out of 16. Adam is hard at work in Beaumont, Texas this week, but still found time to pass along his picks for the week.

Thursday Night

New Orleans Saints @ Atlanta Falcons (+0.5)
Lucas: Saints. Forget Drew Brees. Tayson Hill is the best quarterback on the Saints. Even the look on Sean Payton's face thinks so.
Adam: Falcons. Brees is not throwing the ball, and I think Jones is going to go nuts again... of course when I have a bye in fantasy and he is on several of my teams.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Indianapolis Colts @ Buffalo Bills (-3.5)
Lucas: Bills. I have no faith in the NFL's glue factory.
Adam: Bills. They have to be able to do something right. Such a disappointing season for Shady.
Lucas note: Eh, he's done enough for me.

Chicago Bears @ Cincinnati Bengals (-6.5)
Lucas: Bengals. Don't worry, Bears fans, I'm still writing these posts on your official Web browser, even though the sadist in me wants the Bears' management to keep Fox around just for the lulz.
Adam: Bears. Chicago will cover but lose, and I hope they lose more than the game. FIRE FOX.

Green Bay Packers @ Cleveland Browns (+3.5)
Lucas: Packers. So wait. I only need to lay 3.5 on what has turned into a good run game, a defense that isn't making me scream for Dom Capers to be fired, all against the worst team since the '08 Lions in the last game before the Ultimate Weapon returns? Okay.
Adam: Browns. Once you go Brown you never go back. Though Green Bay did look good last week.

Dallas Cowboys @ New York Giants (+4.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. Now that Eli's consecutive starts streak is history, he can go back to playing in this dumpster fire. I'm going to miss Ben McAdoo, though.
Adam: Cowboys. Maybe with new leadership the Giants may have a chance... but alas, no.

Detroit Lions @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. Time for the Lions to do their usual thing and choke in December.
Adam: Lions. Not sure why, just like the Lions here.

Oakland Raiders @ Kansas City Chiefs (-3.5)
Lucas: Raiders. I'm sorry, why is a team that gave repeated extra chances to the Jets to lose in a blaze of bad football favored? Stick a fork in the Chiefs; they're done.
Adam: Raiders. So KC started 5-0 and now is what, 1-6? Sad.

Minnesota Vikings @ Carolina Panthers (+2.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Meh, division titles are overrated. Supposedly my wife's uncle Kent would disagree, but he lives in Dallas, and we all know what happened to the Cowboys' home field advantage last postseason. Take the North crown, Vikings, but remember that you're just going to break your fans' hearts in some new, cruel way in January.
Adam: Vikings. Boy, who would have thought the Vikings would be in 1st place in the NFC North?

San Francisco 49ers @ Houston Texans (-2.5)
Lucas: 49ers. I completely forgot about the Robbie Gould Revenge Game factor last week, not that it hurt me. I don't really trust the Texans right now either, so I'm going to take the points again.
Adam: 49ers. I will give this to the 49ers. Garoppolo played well against the Bears.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

New York Jets @ Denver Broncos (+0.5)
Lucas: Jets. I mean, when you take two safeties against a bad team in the Dolphins...
Adam: Jets. What QB will be playing the Denver this week? Let's roll the wheel of destiny.
Lucas note: Closest I can find is Metra's Wheel of Excuses.

Tennessee Titans @ Arizona Cardinals (+2.5)
Lucas: Titans. Yawn. Moving on.
Adam: Cardinals. Tennessee has been down and Arizona has been playing well even without DJ.
Lucas note: 5-7 and getting blown out this past week is "playing well?"

Washington Redskins @ Los Angeles Chargers (-6.5)
Lucas: Redskins. I mean, if you can't beat the Browns by double digits, I'm going to take the points here. Speaking of Los Angeles though, at work the past couple days I've been dealing with the city being on fire, and because I'm a bad person this is the only thing I could think of.
Adam: Redskins. This is a total line play. I like the Chargers to win, but not by 6.5.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Los Angeles Rams (-2.5)
Lucas: Eagles. I figure they're due for a rebound game after getting stomped in Seattle. The fact that I'm getting a couple points makes it a little easier.
Adam: Eagles. I get that Philly has not beaten many above .500 teams, but they are still a good football team.

Seattle Seahawks @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-2.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Seattle is rounding into form here in December, same as they always do. Also, pattern.
Adam: Seahawks. I hate the Hawks, but they will win on the road versus Bortles and crew.

Sunday Night

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-5.5)
Lucas: Steelers. I almost took the points, but the Ravens have yet to prove they can beat a good team, and with that three headed monster of Ben, Bell, and Brown laying waste to all in its path, I'm not counting on a five turnover game this week, even with JuJu suspended. He deserved it, but then again, so did that thug Burfict.
Lucas note: Also, get well soon, Ryan Shazier.
Adam: Steelers. Despite the scrappy game on Monday they will prevail and win by 2 touchdowns.

Monday Night

New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins (+11.5)
Lucas: Patriots. The bill for Gase onside kicking up 24 comes due, and it's going to be a pricey one, even without Gronk.
Adam: Patriots. Gronk Smash.

Records So Far
Lucas: 100-92 (9-7 last week)
Adam: 101-91 (6-10 last week)
Scott: 91-101 (7-9 last week)
Geoffrey: 102-90 (11-5 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment