Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Foretelling the CCIW Slate

It never really matters what the sport is. The College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin is always a tough gauntlet to get through, one of the best in Division III. I've been seeing play in this conference up close for 4 and a half years now. I've been blessed with regards to the football program, as North Central has at least shared 4 of the last 5 conference titles. Basketball is a whole different animal. There always seems to be a team or two really surprising everyone with how good they are. So with both the men's and women's teams starting conference play tonight, I figured I'd get a preview ready for North Central.

Men's Basketball
I've only seen one men's game so far this year, but it was probably one of their best games all season. Nonetheless this is going to be another tough season. The start of this season is eerily similar to last year's, where the Cardinals struggled in non-conference play before kicking it into high gear once the gauntlet started, going 11-3, tying Augustana for the top spot in conference and getting to host the conference tournament. This year, the usual suspects are back. Augie is #3 in the nation, and Wheaton is also in the Top 25, with Illinois Wesleyan receiving votes. I think those were the other 3 teams in the tournament last year. Meanwhile, here are the standings going into conference play:
The coaches' poll had Augie winning the conference (5 of 8 1st place votes) with North Central picked 2nd. I think if they play the way they did on Friday, this team could easily win the conference. The above teams mentioned will all be tough, but so will the rest of the conference. Carthage lost its top scorer, but added Luke Johnson, a kid I coached when he was in 8th grade at Aurora Christian. You can't sleep on Elmhurst, North Park (since this isn't football), or Millikin.

I still figure that worst-case scenario, the Cardinals finish 4th in the conference, though I figure it'll be closer to 2nd or 3rd. I think it's safe to expect 9 or 10 wins in conference this year, and hopefully pulling out another surprise upset over Augie en route to 2nd place.

Women's Basketball
This side concerns me a lot more. The only CCIW foe ranked right now is Carthage, and no other school received votes. But that doesn't mean that this conference isn't good. Elmhurst matched Carthage's record out of conference, and going into conference play every team is above .500.
Last year Carthage finished 4th in conference, good enough to make the tournament, and this year they're picked to win it over perennial power Illinois Wesleyan (by 1 point, actually). North Central is picked to finish 7th. In their second year under Michelle Roof, the Cardinals do a good job running the transition offense Coach Roof loves, but when they get into a half-court set... ugh. I still think the defense and rebounding are two key strengths of the Cardinals, and if they play tough on that end and get some easy baskets the other way, this team will be tough to beat. This also assumes they can solve their half-court offense woes. If they do, this team can earn a berth in the conference tournament. I don't know if I can expect it this year, but it's not impossible. I figure 5th or 6th place sounds about right for this team.

We get an early test right away as Carthage makes its way down from Kenosha tonight. The women play at 5:30, and I will be behind the mic for that game. I don't think I'll be in attendance for the men's game tonight, but that should be a fun one as well. I know my old friends at FM89 will have the call for both games if you can't make it out to Merner Fieldhouse for the games. I may try to live-tweet a little bit throughout the game as well, though it can be hard in the flow of the game to pull out my iPhone to make it work.

We raise our voices high. Go Cardinals!

No comments:

Post a Comment