Friday, January 20, 2012

Gateway to Indianapolis

I've pushed this post back a ways, partially because I couldn't think of how to attack this, and also because I wasn't sure who to pick. But this is the big week: winners get 2 weeks to prepare for the biggest game of the season. And after another week of getting 2 out of 4 games right, I need to get back on track.

AFC Championship
It's not often that you see the #1 and #2 seeds matching up, but both Baltimore and New England won their divisional games. The Patriots have probably the best offense of anyone left in the playoffs, but they're going up against one of the top defenses in the league. This is a hard one to pick because the Patriots didn't beat a single team with a winning record this season, but I'm not sure the Ravens have the defensive personnel to stop Hernandez and Gronkowski. This one will come down to the wire for sure. Patriots over Ravens.

NFC Championship
I got both of the division games here wrong. I did not expect Alex Smith to suddenly become an amazing quarterback and lead the Niners to victory over the Saints. I've already stated enough about the Giants over the Pack. For this game, the Niners have a great run defense that will keep Jacobs and Bradshaw under control for the most part, but they have an average secondary. And Eli Manning is playing out of his mind in the last month and a half at least. Plus with the pressure the G-Men can put on Smith... yeah. Giants over 49ers.

I know it's being hyped way in advance by most of the media, but it just seems like the Pats and Giants are destined for a Super Bowl rematch 4 years after their first clash. I know the stakes won't be as high this time around, what with no pressure for 19-0, but I get the feeling Jerrel Jernigan will end up making a catch off Vince Wilfork's stomach, then spin away from 7 Patriot defenders before doing a barrel roll into the end zone as time expires to give the Giants a win. There's been some crazy things this season, what's one more in the Super Bowl?

No comments:

Post a Comment