Thursday, November 14, 2019

COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 11

We're onto Week 11 of the NFL season, and the coalition continues to chug along in our quest to pick games against the spread!

I mentioned last week that it wasn't ideal for Adam or I. Adam rebounded, I didn't; he swept our six disputed games and now has a season-high six game lead. I'm still holding onto second place, but not by a ton. At this point, I'm all but counting on a second straight Thanksgiving heater.

Meanwhile, Adam made another mistake this past week, but it worked out kind of in our favor. He picked the Steelers over the Rams in the column, but picked the Rams on ESPN. This counteracts one of his two screwups from the week before, so he now only has one more point on ESPN than he should. You can view correct standings, as well as how we've picked in relation to each other, here.

As I attempt to get back on track, Adam and I disagree on just three games out of 14. Let's see if I can climb back into the race!

Thursday Night

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Cleveland Browns (-2.5)
Lucas: Steelers. Don't think the Browns should be favored, even in what's essentially pick 'em style. The Steelers are better than I thought they'd be, all things considered.
Adam: Steelers. I am playing the hot hand here. I know Baker has his wife fighting the good fight for him, and maybe that gets him going. But Pittsburgh is the much hotter and better team here.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Carolina Panthers (-5.5)
Lucas: Panthers. A broken clock is right twice a day, so I figure the Falcons regress to the mean and get beat by a touchdown or so.
Adam: Panthers. Can you say fluke? Matty Ice came out ice cold last week and spoiled the Saints' march. Damn the joke is a few weeks past. Regardless, the Falcons will not be able to stop McCaffrey this week. Panthers by 21.

Buffalo Bills @ Miami Dolphins (+5.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. I'll stay on the Miami train; Fitzmagic can do just enough to keep his team in the game, and I don't trust Buffalo's offense. Taking the points.
Adam: Bills. If only everyone in the world could be as happy as the Fins and their fans after 2 wins. Much closer game that maybe weeks past; the Bills are on a downer and Fins on an upper, but I still like the Bills' defense here.

Dallas Cowboys @ Detroit Lions (+4.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. Detroit's not as good as I thought they were earlier in the season, especially without Stafford, but this meme gets funnier with every revision.
Adam: Cowboys. If the Cowboys cannot beat a Stafford-less Lions team, then they don’t deserve to be called America’s team... well, they don’t deserve that anyway, but...

Denver Broncos @ Minnesota Vikings (-10.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Assuming Adam Theilen is healthy, a full strength Vikings offense should walk all over a bad Broncos team.
Adam: Broncos. The Broncos are generally better than their 3-6 record shows, in my opinion. I know it's on the road, I know Flacco is out and Brandon Allen is in at QB now. The Vikings are coming off a big win on the road here in the Big D, but I see this as a letdown game for Minnesota; not a loss, just a letdown.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Indianapolis Colts (-2.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. ALL HAIL THE RETURN OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR NICK FOLES!
Adam: Colts. Never bet against Vinatieri at home. Wait, is he still playing? ...wait, he sucks this year? Ok, to be fair placekicking across the NFL this year has been sucking.
Lucas note: Through ten weeks, field goals are being made at an 80 percent clip and PAT's at a 93 percent clip. Both numbers are down from last year (PAT's just barely, field goals by about four percent). I was going to dispute this... but this is the worst year for field goals since 2003, when the league average was below 80 percent. So yeah, I'll agree.

New Orleans Saints @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+5.5)
Lucas: Saints. New Orleans was probably due for a clunker, but I wasn't expecting it there. I figure they rebound on the road.
Adam: Saints. They come marching back... damn, too late on that joke again. Anyway, Brees and company coming off an embarrassing loss to the Falcons will rebound nicely here.

New York Jets @ Washington Redskins (-1.5)
Lucas: Redskins. TAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNK BOOOOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLLL!
Adam: Redskins. ESPN: You have to Pick... Adam: I don’t wanna! ESPN: You have to pick... Adam: No you cannot make me! ESPN: Pick now or I will not award you any points! Adam: FINE, Skins.
Adam Note: You may recall a few years ago when I refused to pick. It was pretty epic actually, but this game does not even come close to that level of trash.
Lucas note: It was epic, but deciding between two coaches you don't like (both fairly) and refusing to pick versus a Tank Bowl you did reluctantly... and the Tank Bowl is the one that's not trash?

Houston Texans @ Baltimore Ravens (-4.5)
Lucas: Ravens. You call it the All-Heisman backfield, I call it an NFL team finally listening to me and channeling the Shinryuji Nagas (NOTE: my tweet contains NSFW language).
Adam: Ravens. Lamar Jackson for MVP *sky point*. He is on every fantasy team I have this year. It's like getting a 100 yard rusher and then someone who also happens to throw for 250 and two scores. It's money.
Lucas note: Yeah, money to a 3-7 record in our league. I know you have other ones you care more about, but still.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Arizona Cardinals @ San Francisco 49ers (-13.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Call this an overreaction to last week, because I know Jimmy G shredded the Cardinals not long ago, but can he do it again? I'm not sure he can. Taking the points.
Adam: Cardinals. I do think earlier this year this line would have been even higher. I think Kyler and the Cards are starting to figure things out. The 49ers will win, but Arizona gives them a run.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Oakland Raiders (-10.5)
Lucas: Raiders. Here though, I can't take the points. The Bengals suck.
Adam: Raiders. The Bengals suck and the Raiders are a much better team than I generally thought. Plus they have several top picks in the coming years so this solid Raider team could be even more beastly in the years to come as well.
Lucas note: Just in time for their move to Vegas!

New England Patriots @ Philadelphia Eagles (+3.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Tom Brady Revenge Game? Maybe; probably more likely the Pats' defense rebounds thanks to not having to deal with Lamar Jackson, unless Doug Pederson has Philly Special 2.0 saved up for this game.
Adam: Patriots. Touchdown Tom to the rescue! I’m not loving the Eagles in this spot, though they are coming off a bye, and the Pats look somewhat human in their loss against the Ravens, but Touchdown Tom baby!

Sunday Night

Chicago Bears @ Los Angeles Rams (-6.5)
Lucas: Bears. Yeah, Mitch Trubisky's eight touchdown passes on the year have come in chunks (three in like 7 minutes against a bad Redskins team, two in garbage time against the Saints, and three in a slightly bigger chunk against the Lions), but are the Rams, who haven't looked anything like last year's team, really that much better? I say no. Give me the Bears defense in an encore performance harkening back to last year's dismantling of Jared Goff and company.
Adam: Bears. I get this line, and I thought going into the season this would be one of the harder games for the Bears. But the Rams have been very un-Ramlike and the Bears are at least looking passable on offense. I am not sure the Bears win, but I like a cover here.

Monday Night

Kansas City Chiefs vs Los Angeles Chargers (+3.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. I talk up the Chargers and then they collapse. How does that song go? "Tale as old as time... song as old as rhyme... Eff you Dean Spanos!~"
Adam. Chiefs. Froggy and company just coming off a disappointing loss at Tennessee. Maybe his knee is not yet 100%. Oh, I will call a win on my stat line prediction from last week: I said Mahomes for 325/3/0 and he went 446/3/0, and Kelce I predicted 125/2 and he went 75/1. Yes Kelce is under, but the 125 extra yards from Mahomes makes up for it.
Lucas note: I'll allow it.

Records So Far
Lucas: 74-74 (4-9 last week)
Adam: 80-68 (10-3 last week)
Joe: 68-80 (7-6 last week)
Geoffrey: 71-77 (3-10 last week)
Aiden: 66-82 (6-7 last week)
Jim: 70-78 (6-7 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment