Wednesday, November 27, 2019

2019 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 13

With the Thanksgiving holiday here, we're getting the coalition back at a little early in our continued quest to pick NFL games against the spread!

The bad news from last week is that I've been caught from behind as I'm now in a tie for second place with Jim, with just a one game lead on the now fourth place person in Geoffrey. The good news is that, after Adam swept two weeks in a row, I swept our two disputed games last week to gain a little bit of ground.

You can view the ESPN standings here, bearing in mind that Adam has one more point on there than he's supposed to. You can also view how we've picked in relation to each other here. Joe made a crack about matching Adam's picks (which he can do based on how the column works), but is that really the best strategy when you're solidly in fifth place and 14 games out of the lead?

Meanwhile, I'm counting on a repeat of last year and going on a Thanksgiving heater. By talking it up for the past few weeks, I've done one of two things: either jinxed myself horribly to continue the pattern of alternating who wins the column between me and Adam, or spoken into existence my glorious comeback. There is no in between.

As we go into the holiday, Adam and I disagree on six games out of the full 16 game slate. From all of us here at Confessions Of A Sportscaster, have a Happy Thanksgiving! Let's go.

Thursday Morning

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions (+2.5)
Lucas: Bears. The Lions are going into this game with either a hobbled Jeff Driskel or *checks notes* ...David Blough? Should be a fairly easy Bears win, but that's putting a lot of faith on a team that one could argue is extremely soft. First Mitch Trubisky demands TV's at Halas Hall get turned off, now this.
Adam: Bears. The Bears just outlast the G-Men last week and now go into a full-on tilt vs the Lions on Turkey Day. Despite that, the Bears will be facing a weak Lions defense and [possibly] a 3rd stringer, so I’ll lay 2.5 and pray.
Lucas note: As of posting time, Jeff Driskel was still listed as Questionable for Thursday against the Bears, so the part in brackets was added by me.

Thursday Afternoon

Buffalo Bills @ Dallas Cowboys (-6.5)
Lucas: Bills. You already know.
Lucas note: Hold up, can we also note the black cat from the Meadowlands checking in on them as well? That's awesome.
Adam: Bills. So apparently the Time Bandits found a way to mess up the clock again. Lucas said we must give some crap to Jim about this snafu. Well Lucas, you can do that ribbing, but you should gander up at who is now ahead of you in the standings. Oh hey there Jim.
Lucas note: Only if you go by ESPN's tiebreaker which I don't know exactly how it calculates other than they make you pick Monday night scores. It doesn't count; we're tied.

Thursday Night

New Orleans Saints @ Atlanta Falcons (+6.5)
Lucas: Saints. I got bit bad by the first matchup... I will not get bit bad again... unless I do.
Adam: Falcons. Less than a month ago the Falcons put a whoopin’ on the Saints in NoLo. We are in the ATL this week and Brees is much improved since that return game, but I still like the Falcons this week in this spot.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

New York Jets @ Cincinnati Bengals (+3.5)
Lucas: Jets. Nothing like screwing up your tank by starting to win a bunch of games.
Adam: Bengals. The Jets cannot be that good. The Bengals are bad, but the Jets are not that good.

Cleveland Browns @ Pittsburgh Steelers (+1.5)
Lucas: Steelers. Duck Hodges Revenge Tour in what may be the most hostile environment of the year. This one is going to be a bloodbath.
Adam: Browns. I cannot place my finger on this Browns team. They have good games and then they have bad games, so who knows what team will show up Sunday.

Green Bay Packers @ New York Giants (+6.5)
Lucas: Packers. Yeah, Sunday night sucked. Maybe it just means Green Bay needs another year to totally gel. I'll still take 12-4, 13-3 in a heartbeat given I had them 10-6 in the preseason.
Adam: Packers. I see this as an overcorrection for last week's loss. The Packers lost to a very good 49ers team last week; there is no way that they are only a touchdown favorite here.

Tennessee Titans @ Indianapolis Colts (-2.5)
Lucas: Titans. I don't like this game. Just taking the couple points and moving on, but only after I ask why this only ever seems to happen with AFC South games.
Adam: Titans. Holy Henry, Batman.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Miami Dolphins (+9.5)
Lucas: Eagles. After getting a couple games here, I've started to get burned by the Dolphins. Double figures is a lot to lay on the road, but what the hell.
Adam: Dolphins. No trust in the Eagles; Wentz is not living up to his massive contract. Really the only good thing on that team is Ertz.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-1.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. The Bakery is still baking things, but he made some nice throws this past weekend, and I don't trust the Jags. I'll take the point and the upset.
Adam: Buccaneers. An epic intra-Florida battle between two great quarterbacks *checks notes* Napoleon and Crab man... eww. I like crab better.

Washington Redskins @ Carolina Panthers (-9.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Washington is middle of the pack in terms of opposing yards per carry, but given that their offense sucks Carolina should get a lead, which plays right into the hands of one Christian McCaffrey... have a day, young man.
Adam: Redskins. McCaffrey is a beast and has accounted for over 1,700 yds from scrimmage already this year. And the skins are not that good but I foresee strange things. Maybe the Skins get more fans to show up in Charlotte than at home.

San Francisco 49ers @ Baltimore Ravens (-4.5)
Lucas: Ravens. I kind of want to take the points with the Niners here because this is kind of a magic line, but that would require me to go against Lamar Jackson and a red hot Ravens team. That seems... less than ideal.
Adam: Ravens. This is going to be a fantastic game. I can really see this line going either way, but man who saw Lamar Jackson’s game last week? Too bad it was such a blowout for my fantasy team. Had Jackson stayed in, all I needed was about 3 more points from him to beat my fantasy opponent when I started 40 points behind!
Lucas note: Because I can:

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Los Angeles Rams @ Arizona Cardinals (+3.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. No wonder the Rams aren't very good...

Adam: Cardinals. At home, plus a field goal, I’ll take last year’s Heisman over ‘Turn Your Head and Goff’ any day.
Lucas note: ...that's outstanding. I think it's better than mine.

Los Angeles Chargers @ Denver Broncos (+2.5)
Lucas: Chargers. I look forward to them missing another game winning field goal or two and seeing this one end in a tie because Chargers.
Adam: Chargers. LA on the road, Broncos on their third or fourth string QB? I know it's up in Denver where they just had a massive snowstorm (just shy of 12 inches from what I saw) and it is hard to play at a mile high, but I like it for the Chargers.

Oakland Raiders @ Kansas City Chiefs (-9.5)
Lucas: Raiders. I just don't feel comfortable laying double digits here. The Raiders got beat pretty bad this past week, but also got screwed by officiating to some degree. Given that the Chiefs haven't been world beaters like in 2018 and the Raiders aren't awful, I could see this only being a one score game.
Adam: Raiders. Froggy has been replaced by Lamar Jackson as the current GOAT other than those named Tom. The Raiders will look to bounce back big from the loss last week at the Jets. I know at Kansas City is not the easiest spot, but hey I’ll take a shot.

Sunday Night

New England Patriots @ Houston Texans (+3.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Yes, the Patriots got gifted a couple tripping calls that may have impacted the outcome of the Cowboys game this past week, but it also helps that Bill Belichick was playing chess while Jason Garrett was playing Pattycake.
Adam: Texans. I originally went with the Pats here, but then eyed the line a little harder: it's half a point more than a field goal. The Pats can certainly put up some points, but it has generally been against bad to terrible teams. When they face better teams, their scoring goes way down. They also don’t allow too many points so hoping this is decided by a field goal or less.

Monday Night

Minnesota Vikings @ Seattle Seahawks (-2.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. I've been saying it for years: shady s*** happens on Monday nights in Seattle.
Adam: Seahawks. This line is a little under what I would have expected; I would have expected closer to five. That all said, it should still be a decent Monday night game.

Records So Far
Lucas: 86-90 (6-8 last week)
Adam: 93-83 (4-10 last week)
Joe: 79-97 (4-10 last week)
Geoffrey: 85-91 (6-8 last week)
Aiden: 74-102 (3-11 last week)
Jim: 86-90 (7-7 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment