Thursday, November 7, 2019

2019 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 10

As we move onto the second half of the 2019 NFL season, the coalition chugs on in its quest to successfully pick games against the spread!

Last week was... less than ideal for our group. Adam and I were both due for clunkers, and while I took two of our three disputed games to tie Adam once again, our lead on the rest of the group has shrunk to just two games.

You will notice that the standings in the link I just provided will differ from what's on our tracker as well as the official standings at the end of this post. Aiden forgot to pick almost every game a few weeks back, but Adam was able to get me his retroactive picks where he went 5-9 and has a more respectable record. But it wouldn't be a Pigskin Pick 'Em contest without Adam accidentally picking the wrong team on ESPN. He informed me early on Sunday that when he originally filled his picks out he took the Chiefs over the Vikings before changing his mind for the column and forgetting to change it back on ESPN. I also noticed when numbers didn't add up that he accidentally took the Broncos on ESPN instead of the Browns. Unfortunately, these didn't cancel each other out, which would have been great; instead Adam has two more wins than he does in reality because the column is the official pick.

Anyway, onto this week. Adam and I disagree on six games out of 13. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Los Angeles Chargers @ Oakland Raiders (+1.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Hey, Adam/fellow Bears fans... we can be friends.
Lucas note: I built this meme before the rumblings about the Chargers to London broke... and then whoever runs their Twitter went out and did this. Would've been better uncensored, but we can leave that to Dean Spanos.
Adam: Raiders. I know the Chargers just came off a big win against the packers, and they have generally been playing well the past couple weeks, but I just don’t like this spot.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints (-12.5)
Lucas: Saints. I don't think they can set this line high enough. The Falcons are garbage and Sean Payton had an extra week to prepare for this.
Adam: Saints. Both of these are dome teams so you never know what could happen. The big question mark will be Kamara and his availability. But really, I just see him playing as whether the Saints win by 14 or 21.

Buffalo Bills @ Cleveland Browns (-2.5)
Lucas: Bills. HOW AM I GETTING POINTS AGAINST FREDDIE KITCHENS?! Also, Jermaine Whitehead is a lunatic and deserved to get cut.
Adam: Browns. At home, after changing the face-coat 3 times, I just don’t see how that is not baller and Browns roll.
Lucas note: Changing the what now?

Detroit Lions @ Chicago Bears (-2.5)
Lucas: Lions. I wish I had access to my 2014 article for UKEndzone about the collapse of the Bears, because the parallels are eerie. All we're missing is Mark Helfrich saying something stupid to get fired and Aaron Rodgers dropping six touchdowns on them in the first half in about a month and the circle will be complete.
Lucas note: Adam/Bears fans, I understand if we can't be friends anymore, but I'm not sorry.
Adam: Lions. Ugh, The Biscuit made me hope and dream last year... but alas he really is just trash. The Bears' ineptitude in moving the ball (less than 10 yards last week in the first half), is only demoralizing the defense.
Adam note: Lucas, AFLAC trivia question. What team (and name the coaches), were responsible for the only other time a team was held to less than 10 yards in a half?
Lucas note: I heard this on ESPN I think on Monday night on my way home. Back in 2017 by the Kansas City Chiefs. The offensive coordinator of the Chiefs that year? Matt Nagy.

Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals (+9.5)
Lucas: Ravens. I almost want to take the points as part of a Ravens letdown game after they went and punched the Patriots in the mouth, but the Bengals are... pretty bad.
Adam: Ravens. The level of respect between The GOAT and Lamar Jackson is amazing. I saw a video clip of Brady hyping up Jackson before the game and then congratulating him at the end, to which Jackson then replied, "But you’re the GOAT."

Kansas City Chiefs @ Tennessee Titans (+3.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. A nice bounceback for KC after a tough loss to the Packers; I figure they keep it going against a mediocre Tennessee team.
Adam: Chiefs. A tricky line; without knowing for sure if Froggy Boy will be playing it is more of a guess at this line, but I am going to bank on him playing, and playing well. Mahomes for 325, three touchdowns and no interceptions, with 125 and two scores going to Kelce.

New York Giants @ New York Jets (+2.5)
Lucas: Giants. Forget Le'Veon Bell and Saquon Barkley. The black cat is the best running back in the NFL and I will trade my first and second round picks for the next two years plus a conditional pick for that cat and Kevin Harlan's broadcasting contract. Dude is a national treasure.
Adam: Jets. For the black cat. He was the second highest rusher behind Elliot. Something like 1 rush for 70 yards and touchdown. Not bad for an amateur.

Arizona Cardinals @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-4.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. I'm not sure what to make of Tampa; they took Seattle to the brink last week and put up 55 on the Rams earlier in the year. But 4.5 is kind of a magic number for me; I'll take the points.
Adam: Cardinals. The Cards have been seeming to play better. Even on the road I like the Cards to cover, even if it's backdoor.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Miami Dolphins @ Indianapolis Colts (-10.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. I'm saddened that my Tournament of Winless Teams with the Dolphins is no longer in play (thanks, Jets, though the Bungles are still a candidate), but I'll happily take double digits against either Brian Hoyer or a one-legged Jacoby Brissett.
Adam: Dolphins. At least the lines for the Fins game have tamed down. Even with Luck Brissett ...crap, who the hell is the 3rd string quarterback here? Hoyer?! Oh god, Fins for the win. ...OK, maybe not the win, but cover.

Carolina Panthers @ Green Bay Packers (-5.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Always bet on black cat running backs. Christian McCaffrey's going to run for like 300 yards in this game and I'm scared.
Adam: Packers. Looking for a bounce back game here. With McCaffrey looking the part of MVP this year, the game will come down to who can stop the run.

Los Angeles Rams @ Pittsburgh Steelers (+3.5)
Lucas: Rams. Hey, I have a nice little road team streak going. No reason not to keep it going!
Adam: Steelers. Throw back uni day for the Steelers! Too bad for Lucas it is not the Bumble Bee unis... and he gives me crap about Foles, how about you own your own hate boner?
Lucas note: Hey, I freely admit my irrational hate boner for the bumblebee throwbacks, but I think it's way more justified than the Nick Foles hate boner. I mean, look at these atrocities!

Sunday Night

Minnesota Vikings @ Dallas Cowboys (-2.5)
Lucas: Vikings. The Cowboys are due for a nationally televised embarassment again, even if it means a tie atop the NFC North now. Some things are just more important.
Adam: Vikings. Taking out the garbage wins over the Giants twice, Miami, and Washington; the Girlyboys are really just 1-3, with the only decent win coming over the Eagles. Well, this Minnesota team is probably the third-best team they have seen all season. I think they are in for rude awakening.

Monday Night

Seattle Seahawks @ San Francisco 49ers (-6.5)
Lucas: 49ers. Breaking the streak to bet on the Niners until they prove you shouldn't. Given Jimmy GQ's breakout a week ago, they're now up there with the Saints for best in the NFC.
Adam: Seahawks. I am seeing Wilson dominating this game. Fire up all your Seahawks for fantasy this week; not only will Seattle cover, but will win straight up.

Records So Far
Lucas: 70-65 (4-10 last week)
Adam: 70-65 (3-11 last week)
Joe: 61-74 (6-8 last week)
Geoffrey: 68-67 (7-7 last week)
Aiden: 60-75 (7-7 last week)
Jim: 64-71 (4-10 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment