Thursday, December 14, 2017

2017 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 15

We're down to the final three weeks, and the coalition remains bunched up in our attempts to pick NFL games against the spread.

We combined for seven consensus games this past week, which might be a season high but I don't think is an all-time high. We struggled, nonetheless, winning just two of those games. You can view a full breakdown of all of our picks in relation to each other here.

That spreadsheet includes correct standings, which show our top three pickers, myself included, all separated by one game, with my dad not terribly far behind. Adam took three of our five disputed games last week to give himself a little cushion, but it's not a lot. That didn't stop him from sending me this week's picks with this proclamation:
Who’s in first…This guy. Haha, back up on top…
Not only is Adam back on top, he is back from Beaumont and ready to go. We disagree on just five games out of the 16 on the docket again. This week we have some Saturday games to mess with the schedule, games that would conflict with the Death to the BCS Playoffs were they being played in reality. Alas.

Thursday Night

Denver Broncos @ Indianapolis Colts (+2.5) 
Lucas: Colts. Adam Vinatieri is the GOAT.
Adam: Broncos. No real reason here.

Saturday Afternoon

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions (-5.5)
Lucas: Bears. I have no faith in the Lions. Not that I have faith in the Bears either, but I'm going to take the points on this one. Enjoy your retirement, Devin Hester.
Adam: Bears. Where did that Bears team come from? Holy smokes. Bears on the up and Lions on the down.

Saturday Night

Los Angeles Chargers @ Kansas City Chiefs (+1.5) 
Lucas: Chargers. Yeah, I still say the Chiefs are done. PROVE ME WRONG, ANDY REID.
Adam: Chargers. How is this game only a 1.5 point spread? The Chargers have been looking good, all cylinders firing. Hoping Allen keeps up his 100+ yard games that he has been having of late.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Miami Dolphins @ Buffalo Bills (-2.5)
Lucas: Bills. Sorry, Jay. The win over the Patriots was impressive, to be sure, but you're going on the road against a decent team with the standard home field advantage line. Though I'll be honest: the penny whistle is what swayed me.
Adam: Bills. I hate Jay Cutler. Smoke ’em.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Minnesota Vikings (-10.5)
Lucas: Vikings. This line seems a little high with Case Keenum having come back down to earth a bit this past week, but if the Bengals got blown out by the Bears, I mean... it's kind of deserved.
Adam: Bengals. Wow, 10.5 point spread. I get it; the Bengals just got spanked by the Bears and Minnesota has a well-oiled machine. But I got burned on several double digit spreads this year... New England last week for example.
Lucas note: In fairness, we all did, even though Brady is now 7-9 in his career in South Beach.

Baltimore Ravens @ Cleveland Browns (+7.5)
Lucas: Browns. I'm leaving the door open for some sort of double fumble return touchdown for the Ravens to win the game and break the hearts of every Browns fan, but you have a defense without its best corner that just gave up 39 to the Steelers (granted, it's the Steelers.) With Josh Gordon back, is it really that out of the realm of possibility that the Browns could make a game of this?
Adam: Browns. Got F’ed again by a last second TD against the Browns to lose a point...
Lucas note: BAH GAWD, THAT'S THE TITANIC PENNY WHISTLE!

Green Bay Packers @ Carolina Panthers (+0.5)
Lucas: Packers. "Sub-creatures. Gozer the Gozerian, Gozer the Destructor, Volgus Zildrohar, the Traveler has come. Choose and perish." THE CHOICE IS MADE.
Adam: Packers. How will this even be a contest? A-A-Ron will be back.

New York Jets @ New Orleans Saints (-15.5)
Lucas: Jets. I know the Saints are way better, but I'm not comfortable laying two touchdowns. Who made this line?
Adam: Jets. So tempted to give the 15.5 just because. This may be the highest line I have ever seen on ESPN. But I cannot justify a two touchdown line regardless of the teams. The Jets are not that bad, And NOLO has been all running this year.
Lucas note: Highest we've ever had in the history of this contest was back in 2013 when Peyton Manning was destroying defenses left and right and the Jaguars were a dumpster fire.

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants (+7.5)
Lucas: Eagles. In before Adam's irrational Nick Foles hate. Get well soon, Carson.
Adam: Giants. I wish I could have picked a tie. So apparently, “how to I donate an ACL” was trending in Philly... HAHA dumb. But on the other hand FOX poked some fun a Eli. Ouch...

Arizona Cardinals @ Washington Redskins (-4.5)
Lucas: Redskins. This one was kind of a tough call, but the Cardinals' offensive line is ridiculously banged up, and the Redskins have an average to above average pass rush. That might be partially why Blaine Gabbert has been sacked so much, but it could also be because he's Blaine Gabbert. I'll lay the points.
Adam: Redskins. I still look at weekly replays and wonder how Larry "I will only retire when I die" Fitzgerald is still playing.

Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-11.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. Well, the pattern was broken last week, but they're going up against a team that needs to be seriously investigated for not getting Tom Savage out of the game after an obvious concussion. Whoever the NFL has as independent neurologists or whoever need to either be retrained or fired.
Adam: Texans. Apparently the Texans are under fire for letting their QB come back and play despite a possible concussion. Man, that’s Savage...
Lucas note: ...really?
Adam note: I’m shaking my own head at that joke...

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Los Angeles Rams @ Seattle Seahawks (-2.5)
Lucas: Rams. My logic on this backfired earlier in the season, but the Rams have been pretty good against the Seahawks in recent years, even up in Seattle. I'll take the couple points and hope they can even up the season series. Also, Sheldon Richardson and Michael Bennett are thugs who should have been suspended, but I'm not shocked because Roger Goodell is a corrupt buffoon who needs to be fired.
Adam: Rams. I want to see a crying Pete Carroll. That would make my day, nay, week... nay, YEAR.

Tennessee Titans @ San Francisco 49ers (-1.5)
Lucas: Titans. I'm a little surprised Santa Clara is favored. I'll take the points and hope Mariota doesn't stink up the joint again.
Adam: 49ers. A bit risky as the 49ers are favored. When was the last time that happened?
Adam note: I actually expect Lucas will look it up. He probably already did before even looking at this note and I bet it was probably this year but man that team is still bad...
Lucas note: Actually, I didn't go back to look it up until you said something. But based on my research: Week 14 of last year.

New England Patriots @ Pittsburgh Steelers (+2.5) 
Lucas: Patriots. This was a tricky one. Pittsburgh can score a ton of points, but if anyone can gameplan to take Bell and/or Brown out of the game, it's Darth Hoodie. The fact that the Pats lost on Monday night just gave the Pats the kick in the butt they needed. The road to Minneapolis runs through Foxboro.
Adam: Patriots. Never bet against an angry Brady. But man is that funny: He lost to Jay Cutler. JAY CUTLER!!!!

Sunday Night

Dallas Cowboys @ Oakland Raiders (+2.5) 
Lucas: Cowboys. So apparently Gene Steratore is the ref for this one. This can only mean it's a Cowboy revenge game, because the last time Steratore worked a Dallas game, this happened.
Adam: Cowboys. Is Zeke back yet?
Adam note: I know the answer is no, thankfully, for my Fantasy team anyway; the guy I am playing in the semis had Zeke.

Monday Night

Atlanta Falcons @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+6.5)
Lucas: Falcons. The Falcons need to stumble for the Grand Plan to work, but I don't see that happening this week.
Adam: Falcons.
Lucas note: Adam left no commentary with this one.

Records So Far
Lucas: 106-102 (6-10 last week)
Adam: 108-100 (7-9 last week)
Scott: 98-110 (7-9 last week)
Geoffrey: 107-101 (5-11 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment