Friday, December 27, 2019

2019 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 17

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! The coalition is getting back to this a couple days late due to the holiday, but we are back one final time in 2019 with our NFL picks as the regular season comes to a close!

It has once again been a fun season of this weekly feature, and I want to thank Adam for his yearlong contributions, as well as Geoffrey and Joe for their fill-in contributions. This column wouldn't be anywhere near as fun without you guys to banter with.

Speaking of these guys, Adam has all but locked the column title up for the year, as well as the group title as a whole. I found myself back in second place after a Week 16 heater, taking five of seven disputed games from Joe. Please note that the standings provided in the first link are a little off due to picking errors both by myself and by Adam; he has one more point than he should, and I have one fewer than I should. It also doesn't take into account games Aiden didn't get a chance to log in and pick, and based on the honor system I gave him credit for a previous week and will do so for his blank Week 16 as well. As of posting time, his Week 16 picks weren't available yet, so his numbers are still old. The correct standings, as well as how we've picked in relation to each other through 15 weeks, can be found here.

Now, Adam sends me his picks to fill out on here, so in theory, I could go opposite of him across the board in an effort to steal the title, but that wouldn't be sporting. He and I disagree on only seven of the final 16 games of the season, so Adam, go ahead and take your victory lap.

Thank you for following along this year! One final time... let's get to it!

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-1.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. I hope Jameis sticks with Tampa, or wherever else he ends up next season. Dude is electrifying, and this is my new favorite stat.
Adam: Falcons. Both teams have been hard to trust, but I like the Falcons better here.

New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills (-1.5)
Lucas: Bills. Buffalo is locked into a 5 seed, but even with nothing to play for, should I really bet on the guy who describes himself as, "Rich as f***" and may or may not have been using a burner account on Twitter? I say no. Don't bet on head cases.
Adam: Bills. I know this game does not mean much for the Bills and they will likely rest starters, but who cannot like the Bills Mafia in this spot?

Chicago Bears @ Minnesota Vikings (-6.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Bye, Mitch.
Adam: Vikings. Not much to say, but not liking my Bears here.

Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals (+2.5)
Lucas: Browns. Now that Cleveland has etched out its place in history as one of the all time flops, they can win this meaningless game that's meaningless for both teams because my Tournament of the Winless can't be a thing. Damn it all.
Adam: Browns. For the pride of Ohio. I mean really, who the eff cares. Though maybe this is the last game for OBJ in a Browns uniform.

Green Bay Packers @ Detroit Lions (+10.5)
Lucas: Packers. I worry that, with how Green Bay seems to play like crap and yet still win, that we're looking at either a backdoor cover or Green Bay just barely winning. But this Lions team is awful and in freefall since their meeting at Lambeau where they got screwed. And with home field still up for grabs, I see the D-Train making their move this week. Side note: can the NFL switch up its Week 17 matchups in the NFC North? I'm sick of always getting the Lions to end the year.
Adam: Lions. The Packers are really only playing for home field; once the game is in hand all starters will be pulled. I see this as an easy cover for the Lions.
Lucas note: Only playing for home field?

Los Angeles Chargers @ Kansas City Chiefs (-7.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Kansas City is still shooting for a first round bye, and the Chargers aren't good. They'll probably still be able to pull Mahomes late, and hopefully I can avoid a back door cover in doing so.
Adam: Chiefs. Not loving this line, but even with a light showing from the starters, I see this game getting out of hand quickly.

Miami Dolphins @ New England Patriots (-15.5)
Lucas: Patriots. No mercy, even against the weak. Carth Onasi approves.
Lucas note: I tried to find a video from Knights of the Old Republic with his line about traitors deserving "no mercy" because the voice acting in that line is great. Alas, couldn't find it.
Adam: Dolphins. There is no motivation on either side for this game.
Lucas note: Other than, you know, the Pats playing for a first round bye.

New Orleans Saints @ Carolina Panthers (+13.5)
Lucas: Panthers. I know, I've taken a pair of double digit favorites already. I'm just not sure about the Saints on the road as a two touchdown favorite, even though Christian McCaffrey has no help. Thank you though, for helping me win the fantasy championship though, my friend.
Adam: Panthers. Lets see what the fifth string quarterback for Carolina can do for their third string head coach.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys (-10.5)
Lucas: Redskins. One last time.
Adam: Redskins. To play spoiler, and make Jerrah cry. Also, over/under on Monday at noon for when Garrett is fired? I’ll take the over, but just by a few hours.
Lucas note: Yeah, put me down for the same. We can mourn the end of an era next time you're up here.

Oakland Raiders @ Denver Broncos (-3.5)
Lucas: Raiders. I don't trust Denver, and Oakland still has a (very long) shot at a playoff berth. Not bad for a laughingstock in 2018 that managed to overcome having a cancer on the roster to start the year.
Adam: Broncos. Here are two teams that are really just playing for pride. I’ll give the edge to the Broncos for being the home team.

Tennessee Titans @ Houston Texans (+4.5)
Lucas: Titans. Houston doesn't have much to play for, while the Titans are trying to sneak into the playoffs. Also, even though I'm ignoring this advice on the whole for this week, I'm applying it here.
Adam: Titans. No real reason other than why not.
Lucas note: Also, the betting history listed above.

Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+3.5)
Lucas: Colts. Similar thing here, except the Jaguars suck and the Colts are still technically alive.
Adam: Jaguars. For my boy. I wonder where he will go next year; I think he may go to Houston, they like overpaid crappy quarterbacks, or at least they did before Deshaun came on.

Arizona Cardinals @ Los Angeles Rams (-7.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. The Rams are out. Also, continuing my solidarity pick for the national champs.
Adam: Cardinals. For my Sooners, taking the former Sooner in a little bit of an upset here.
Lucas note: Have fun at the Peach Bowl!

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants (+4.5)
Lucas: Eagles. Just to make sure the Cowboys miss the playoffs for good measure.
Adam: Eagles. To make Jerrah cry some more. No ring for you.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens (+2.5)
Lucas: Ravens. Baltimore has absolutely nothing to play for, so we probably won't see Lamar and company this week. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, their backups probably aren't as good as the Ravens' backups, and unfortunately with the Leader of Men now fat, they miss the playoffs. Sorry, Yinzer Nation.
Adam: Steelers. My pièce de résistance in my fantasy football victory, Lamar Jackson, will not be playing along with many other starters.

Sunday Night

San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks (+3.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. I think this is the first time I've seen Seattle as a home dog. I am grabbing those points and running to end the year, a la Beast Mode. Welcome back, big fella.
Adam: Seahawks. I think they will come out wanting to pound the 49ers after their embarrassing loss to the Cards last week. And who doesn't like Marshawn coming back? Skittles for all.
Lucas note: Now I want a Saints-Seahawks rematch in Seattle for Beast Quake II: Electric Boogaloo.


Records So Far
Lucas: 124-116 (12-4 last week)
Adam: 133-107 (10-6 last week)
Joe: 114-126 (9-7 last week)
Geoffrey: 123-117 (10-6 last week)
Aiden: 95-129 (Week 16 record unavailable)
Jim: 122-118 (10-6 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment