Thursday, September 28, 2023

2023 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 4

The coalition is back for another week of picking NFL games against the spread and... oh boy.

It wasn't a bad week on the whole for folks as we're all hovering in a decent range of .500, but seven games separate first from last place. The race at the top is tight however, with the slimmest of margins through three weeks.

Unfortunately I'm not up there, as Adam took six of eight disputed games from me courtesy of going 4-0 on hero picks; Adam took four of six from Joe, while Joe took three of four from me last week.

You can track how we've all picked in relation to each other here. Hero picks are playing a major role so far, as Adam's aforementioned 4-0 week in that department has him within striking distance of our continued leader in Geoffrey, who remains perfect in a smaller sample size of hero games. Joe and I have yet to hit on our combined four hero picks, and we're in last place.

As we look ahead now to Week 4, Adam and I disagree on a whopping nine games, Joe and I on five, and Joe and Adam on eight games out of 16. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Detroit Lions @ Green Bay Packers (+0.5)
Lucas: Packers. I took the Lions when I originally wrote this out... but I can't help it. I'm feeling the Love.

Adam: Lions. One of the last good Thursday Night games. If history is our guide, after about Week 4 or 5 the TNF games start to get really bad, I mean bad, dare I give you a week 10 preview (Bears/Carolina in case you didn’t know)? Regardless, should be a good game on paper, but I think the Lions invade Cheddarland and feast.
Lucas note: Good a time as any to raise this argument again: 19 week regular season, keep the current 17 games, but give each team two byes including one prior to their Thursday Night game to add a mini bye before as well as after. We all know it won't happen though because the NFL doesn't give a [expletive] about player safety.
Joe: Packers.

Sunday Morning

Atlanta Falcons vs Jacksonville Jaguars (-3.5)
Lucas: Falcons. Maybe the Jaguars are broken, I'm not sure. Going to London might be enough to reset them given prior history, but I'm just not sold through three weeks.
Adam: Falcons. The Jags are just not who we thought they were. Sunshine has just been meh all season, and I am not 100% sure what it is. Plus we still need a big Bijan breakout; he has shown flashes, but on Sunday morning, while watching the Toy Story viewing, we shall see his moves.
Joe: Jaguars.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Miami Dolphins @ Buffalo Bills (-2.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. I mean, Miami's not scoring 70 again (obviously), and this line seems about right for this matchup, but I just like how the Dolphins are playing so far and I think that continues on the road here.
Adam: Bills. I mean there is NO WAY Miami puts up 70, or even close to it. The Bills are a solid team and Miami will ride the high to their own demise. I like the Bills at home, and hope no one retires at half.
Joe: Dolphins.

Denver Broncos @ Chicago Bears (+3.5)
Lucas: Bears. What does it say about your franchise when you get smoked on the road by Mahomes and Co, follow that up with a home game against a team that gave up the aforementioned 70-burger and you're the underdog in that situation? Unfortunately for Broncos fans though, this may not be the bottom. Also:

Adam: Broncos. It should tell you something that you are dogs at home against another 0-3 team. This is the Super Bowl of the #1 draft pick game. Loser likely gets it, or at very least top 3; winner may be outside the top 5. But here is the real question I want to ask: is Fields that bad, or have the coaches/GM failed him? I think he is that bad, but…
Lucas note: First of all, it's called the Tank Bowl. And will probably get the U-Tree "The Greatest Game" treatment. Second of all, to answer your Fields question... yes.
Joe: Bears.

Baltimore Ravens @ Cleveland Browns (-2.5)
Lucas: Browns. Credit Cleveland for bouncing back. Tight divisional race, I'll take the home team this time.
Adam: Browns. So looking forward to seeing Chubb vs Dobbs, the tale of the double Bs: two hardnose, in your face runners... *checks notes* ehm, never mind, both are already [expletive] injured. *throws mic in utter disgust* ...take the home team. *walks away*

Lucas note: Sorry, I needed an excuse to break out the sign at my work desk and I couldn't believe I haven't used it in-column yet.
Joe: Ravens.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Tennessee Titans (+2.5)
Lucas: Bengals. Yeah, I'm out on the Titans. I look forward to the Euphoric Violet Gazelle making me regret this.
Adam: Bengals. Line seems a touch short but Kevin and Krew have been subpar until things came together Monday night. Assuming Burrow is on the mend, and Chase/Mixon have found a grove, this game is never close.
Joe: Bengals.

Los Angeles Rams @ Indianapolis Colts (-1.5)
Lucas: Rams. They got a backdoor cover two weeks ago and just missed one this past week. Though should I be betting against Dan Orlovsky Minshew Magic?

Adam: Colts. Richardson is hoping to get back, and with either Richardson or Minshew, I am happy to take Indy. In fact with Richardson I like Indy more. Let's get Mrs. Stafford riled up; we need more food fights!
Joe: Rams.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New Orleans Saints (-3.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. I'm not sure what the long term situation with Derek Carr is, though Jameis coming in didn't really impact anything. I think the Bucs have a better team on the whole though.
Adam: Saints. I don’t love this pick, but it is a divisional game so you typically prefer the home team. But giving 3.5 at home against a surprisingly decent Tampa team and with the backup QB, Crabby Hands Boy, I don’t count the Bucs out.
Joe: Saints.

Washington Commanders @ Philadelphia Eagles (-8.5)
Lucas: Eagles. Washington might be one of those "good bad teams" this year. They got off to a good start before getting trounced by a good team this past week, and I see that repeating here.
Adam: Eagles. Apparently like half the Philly team was sick with “flu like symptoms” this past Monday and still cruised to a 14 point win. I don’t see that changing here against a similar opponent.
Joe: Eagles.

Minnesota Vikings @ Carolina Panthers (+3.5)
Lucas: Panthers. To quote Tom Grossi- "Skololololololo-and-three!"
Adam: Vikings. A very surprising 0-3 Minnesota team, considering they have the league leaders in passing and receiving yards. The Vikings are very much the better team here and should easily take their first W in Carolina. And all the more likely if the Red Rocket gets unleashed again.
Joe: Vikings.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Houston Texans (+3.5)
Lucas: Steelers. Houston's playing well so far and seems to be trending back in the right direction. Unfortunately they're up against the BS that is Steeler football.
Adam: Texans. Call me crazy, call me wishful, call me whatever you want but late for dinner (sorry I’ll let myself out) but Stroud is playing very well and Houston is looking like a football team. Wish they would have gotten Schultz involved in the passing game more, but nonetheless I like Houston to cover and maybe win.
Joe: Texans.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Las Vegas Raiders @ Los Angeles Chargers (-5.5)
Lucas: Chargers. We're calling what would normally be a chess match a game of Candy Land when both Brandon Staley and Josh McDaniels are involved, right? This could be a "What not to do" clinic.
Adam: Chargers. Oh would you look at that, a divisional game. Who should you typically take? The home team... and since this is my 2nd mention of this, unless I am mistaken (Lucas will check I am sure) I have taken every home team in a divisional match except one important one. Lucas, have you put that together yet?
Lucas note: I did. Death by Jordan Love it is.
Joe: Chargers.

New England Patriots @ Dallas Cowboys (-6.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. I think they right the ship this week, but this will never not be funny.
Adam: Patriots. You should hear the FaNbOyZ here in Dallas; you would think the Cowgirls just lost the Super Bowl on a trash call... losing their [expletive] gourds! But also entertaining for me. In any case, I think Dallas does rebound here for the W but not as spectacular of a fashion as they want and we see a backdoor cover.
Lucas note: Let the record show: Week 4 is our official changeover from "Cowboys" to "Cowgirls." We are now on Heiferladies Watch.
Joe: Cowboys.

Arizona Cardinals @ San Francisco 49ers (-13.5)
Lucas: 49ers. San Francisco's not gonna let what happened last week happen to them.
Adam: 49ers. After what Arizona did to the Cowgirls last week you would think maybe this game would be closer, but there is a very specific but important difference between SF and Dallas. San Francisco has a middle of the road quarterback that knows he is better because of the skill players. Dallas has a QB that is trash but thinks he is gold and that he makes the skill players better. Niners by a mile.
Joe: 49ers.

Sunday Night

Kansas City Chiefs @ New York Jets (+9.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. I was not prepared for a timeline where the possible meme of 2023 is Taylor Swift at a Chiefs game screaming "Let's f***ing go!" But if the Department of Temporal Investigations is cool with it then I guess I am too.

Adam: Jets. This is the last chance for...

Plus, I am already tired of people who don’t know anything about football talking about football because of Taylor Swift. She is hot, I get it, but shut up already.
Joe: Chiefs.

Monday Night

Seattle Seahawks @ New York Giants (-1.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Something something something shady [expletive] happens on Mondays with Seattle.
Adam: Seahawks. No Neck Geno will beat Giraffe Neck Jones. That is all.
Joe: Seahawks.

Records So Far
Lucas: 23-25 (7-9 last week)
Adam: 27-21 (11-5 last week)
Joe: 22-26 (9-7 last week)
Geoffrey: 29-19 (10-\6 last week)
Jim: 23-25 (7-9 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment