Thursday, December 29, 2022

2022 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 17

Just two weeks remain in the NFL season, and playoff races are coming down to the wire. So, to, is the race among the coalition for first place as we get set for Week 17.

The podcast was... not good luck for me or Adam last week as Joe swept both of us (six from me, five from Adam), and my prediction about how the two of us would fare hit as Adam took three of five. By some miracle I'm still in first in the column, but I'm no longer in first group-wide, and the cushion I've had for most of the season is now... pretty much completely gone.

You can view how we've picked in relation to each other here, and Adam's tracking of home/road favorite/underdog plus timeslot breakdowns here

We're getting this week's post live a little late this week due to travel for Adam, but we're well ahead of our final Thursday night game of the season. This week, Adam and I disagree on just two games, Joe and I on five, and Adam and Joe on five. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Dallas Cowboys @ Tennessee Titans (+9.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. I know Adam and I talked last week on the podcast about the Lions bouncing the Cowboys from the playoffs. While I'm still good with this, my new personal preference would be the Packers sneaking in, Mike McCarthy Mike McCarthying, and us completing the trilogy of this beautiful bastard.


Adam: Cowboys. Dallas is looking good and fighting for positioning in the NFC playoff race. I just see a solid effort here against the falling Titans.
Joe: Cowboys.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Arizona Cardinals @ Atlanta Falcons (-3.5)
Lucas: Falcons. I mean, Trace McSorley didn't look awful, but that's kind of a low bar. Also I'm rooting for chaos. More on that later.
Adam: Falcons. Farewell to one JJ Watt, who was the subject of one of my greatest fantasy football names ever: 1.21 JJ Watts.
Lucas note: I don't know why, but I thought I had a 1.21 JJ Watts picture I could throw in here. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.
Joe: Falcons.

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions (-5.5)
Lucas: Lions. The Bears' tank has been almost perfectly executed. Just a couple more losses to go.
Adam: Lions. Detroit at home and fighting for the playoffs against a “we’re not tanking’ Bears team that hopes to possibly get #1 overall pick.
Joe: Lions.

Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs (-13.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. The theory I've seen floated around was that Nathaniel Hackett was hired, if not purely, then largely as a ploy to acquire Aaron Rodgers. Instead... dumpster fire. I mean, the fact that their interim guy is their clock management assistant? Comical. Chiefs by a million.
Adam: Chiefs. Hate the line, but the overall KC is leaps and bounds better than Denver.
Joe: Chiefs.

Miami Dolphins @ New England Patriots (-2.5)
Lucas: Patriots. And I'm pretty sure this line was set prior the news breaking that Tua was back in concussion protocol... again... after they missed clear signs of him being concussed given the three back-breaking interceptions he threw right to Packer defenders on Christmas Day. Tua needs to retire; he's going to eff up the rest of his life if he tries to come back again.
Adam: Dolphins. Tua in protocol again... just let the man be. After this season, I would venture to say if he gets even one more concussion next year he should hang it up.
Joe: Dolphins.

Indianapolis Colts @ New York Giants (-3.5)
Lucas: Giants. Nothing to say about this game other than the Colts are a dumpster fire. Moving on.
Adam: Giants. At home against a Saturday run Indy squad and did you see Napoleon last week? The trend continues that the Raiders will be the only team to lose to the former ESPN analyst.
Joe: Giants.

New Orleans Saints @ Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5)
Lucas: Eagles. Ho hum, NFC runs through Philly.
Adam: Eagles. They lost to Dallas by six with a backup. Dallas played their best and still needed two late turnovers to seal the deal. Even with a backup, I see Philly as a team to beat.
Joe: Eagles.

Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-3.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Again: I am purely rooting for chaos. This maximizes it.
Adam: Panthers. It's just funny that Carolina fired a coach, traded their best asset and dumped their crown jewel of an off season pick, and now have a chance to beat Tampa and have a leg up on the NFC South.
Joe: Panthers.

Cleveland Browns @ Washington Commanders (-2.5)
Lucas: Browns. I originally had Washington here, but changed it pre-writing my column because of the insistence on returning to Carson Wentz.
Adam: Browns. I heard Prince Harry is starting again. Hard pass.
Joe: Commanders.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Houston Texans (+3.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. Good for Jacksonville. Houston gets its tank back on track.
Adam: Jaguars. In honor of Lucas' cat named Sunny that I called Sunshine on more than one occasion.
Lucas note: Cat tax.


Joe: Jaguars.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

San Francisco 49ers @ Las Vegas Raiders (+5.5)
Lucas: 49ers. I mean, I get wanting to see what you have in Jarrett Stidham, even with a very slim hope of a playoff berth still in place. But Josh McDaniels is really going to have Derek Carr be the fall guy... AND they may end up losing Davante Adams because of this nonsense. Poverty franchise (both figuratively, and I suppose literally given that they probably can't fire McDaniels because they can't afford to eat his contract).


Adam: 49ers. Was this line put out before or after Carr exited stage left? No matter, San Fran romps.
Joe: 49ers.

New York Jets @ Seattle Seahawks (+2.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Mainly because now the Jets just don't have a quarterback. Goodbye, Zach Wilson.
Adam: Jets. I think this was Zach Wilson's plan all along: play poorly to get benched and then just spend all week surfing at the local 50+ clubs. Well played.
Lucas note: I'm sorry, I had to remove the nickname in an attempt to get past Google's false flag for sensitive content.

Joe: Seahawks.

Minnesota Vikings @ Green Bay Packers (-2.5)
Lucas: Packers. Green Bay needed like six things to go right this past weekend in order to keep their playoff hopes alive. Literally all of them happened. The Packers are going to run the table... at least until they get kicked in the nuts by the 49ers again.
Adam: Packers. A playoff berth dream in their eyes, and Minnesota having little more to play for. The Vikings would need to win out and have Philly lose out for Minnesota to take the NFC #1 spot. Not impossible, but unlikely.
Joe: Vikings.

Los Angeles Rams @ Los Angeles Chargers (-6.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Happy first playoff run to the Sheldon High School Fishing Club President.


Adam: Chargers. Despite the absolute lambasting I took from Herbert last week in my fantasy semi-finals (read: needed 10 points from a WR and Herbert and got 9.8), I still like him better than the Rams on the road.
Lucas note: And I somehow won my fantasy semi in our league despite a clunker from Herbert and basically 90 percent of the rest of my team. Fantasy football is weird.
Joe: Chargers.

Sunday Night

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens (-3.5)
Lucas: Steelers. Oh God, we're getting peak STILLERS GAHNTA SUPER BOWL aren't we.
Adam: Steelers. Is Jackson back? No matter, I like the drive Pittsburgh will get as they currently sit on the outside of the playoff, though they may be on the wrong end of some tiebreakers.
Joe: Ravens.

Monday Night

Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals (+0.5)
Lucas: Bengals. Cincy's been more impressive lately. A win over a tank doesn't count, Buffalo.
Adam: Bengals. Purely a home/road pick. I’ll take the home team.
Joe: Bills.

Records So Far
Lucas: 112-128 (5-11 last week)
Adam: 110-130 (6-10 last week)
Joe: 111-129 (11-5 last week)
Geoffrey: 105-135 (8-8 last week)
Jim: 114-126 (7-9 last week)
Tom: 107-133 (5-11 last week) 

No comments:

Post a Comment