Thursday, October 20, 2022

2022 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 7

The coalition returns as we are, week-wise anyway, a third of the way through the NFL season.

In our first week of byes it was a rough go for most of the group. Despite that, I took three of five disputed games from Adam to build on my lead, while taking three of four from Joe, and Adam took two of three from Joe.

The group is still largely sandwiched together, but we're all well under .500 thanks largely to a 7-17 mark in consensus games. We are a combined 21-12 in hero picks through seven weeks, though no one's really been able to pull away yet thanks to that. You can view how we've all picked in relation to each other here. Adam's sheet with a breakdown of picks based on home/road favorites/underdogs, as well as a breakdown by game time, can be found here.

Going into Week 7, Adam and I disagree on four games out of 14, Joe and I on four, and Joe and Adam on two. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

New Orleans Saints @ Arizona Cardinals (-1.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Getting D-Hop back? Sign me up. Adding Robbie Anderson from Carolina? ...almost enough to make me switch. Almost.


Adam: Cardinals. I like this spot for Arizona; with Hopkins coming off his suspension and getting another receiver weapon. it should make fireworks in the desert in what should be a much improved TNF after the last two duds.
Joe: Cardinals.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Cincinnati Bengals (-5.5)
Lucas: Falcons. Just gonna play a hunch and take the points.
Adam: Falcons. This is purely a line pick. I like Cincy to win, but they have had their own troubles to start the season, and Atlanta has been gritty, so I just feel like taking the points.
Joe: Falcons.

Detroit Lions @ Dallas Cowboys (-7.5)
Lucas: Lions. Gonna take the points here and hope for a rebound for the Lions' offense.
Adam: Lions. This is a two-fold pick. First, Detroit has the 3rd most points scored, and second, Dak will be a little rusty. For those reason I like the points here in what will be a one point game or a 14 point game.
Joe: Cowboys.

Indianapolis Colts @ Tennessee Titans (-3.5)
Lucas: Colts. I just don't trust Tennessee, and I get a little wiggle room for my distrust.
Adam: Colts. Not sure what to make of this game, and this is their second matchup this month. Yay for weird NFL scheduling. So both teams have shown signs of life this year and both have played dead at times too. With Taylor likely back, and vengeance on their minds, I’ll take the 3.5, thank you very much.
Joe: Colts.

Green Bay Packers @ Washington Commanders (+5.5)
Lucas: Packers. I originally put the Commanders down because I have zero faith in the Packers right now (even going up against Taylor Heinecke), but then Tuesday afternoon the Jim Irsay comments essentially declaring war on Dan Snyder came out. Snyder needs to be forced out, and if his alleged dirt that he totally hasn't been digging up on other owners and even Roger Goodell end up resulting in some collateral damage... so be it.
Adam: Packers. Green Bay catches a much softer spot this week than they had last week in Lambeau against the stout *check notes* umm... JETS? Yes, lets all revel in that for a moment. But with Baby Wentz out (yep another injury) and somebody playing QB for Washington I don’t see anything but a runaway for GB.
Lucas note: I'm not reveling.
Joe: Packers.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Carolina Panthers (+10.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. I got burned trying to take double digit points with Carolina once, and I will not be fooled again, stupid Brady-military commentary be damned.
Adam: Panthers. So effectively ESPN is saying this plays as a 13.5 on a neutral site... I just don’t see that. Don’t get me wrong, Carolina is a dumpster fire inside a dumpster fire, but with the way Tommy Boy has played so far this year I think he should have stayed retired.
Joe: Panthers.

New York Giants @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-2.5)
Lucas: Giants. I was a little surprised by this line at first, but home field probably does make this about an even contest if I'm being honest. Still think the Giants win outright though.
Adam: Giants. Wait, I am getting points?

Joe: Giants.

Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens (-6.5)

Lucas: Browns. The oddsmakers have learned nothing about the Ravens being unable to hold a lead, have they?
Adam: Ravens. Tough line with this. I get why its that high; shave a point or two off and I would flip. Just not sure what to make of both teams so far, So this is just a pick and a prayer.
Joe: Ravens.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

New York Jets @ Denver Broncos (-2.5)
Lucas: Jets. I know this is like a pick 'em, but I really don't see how it should be given how well the Jets have been playing.
Adam: Jets. Lets check what Russ looks like after last week’s game.

Joe: Jets.

Houston Texans @ Las Vegas Raiders (-6.5)
Lucas: Raiders. Tae, you've been in Vegas for what, two months, and already the Raiders have turned you into a criminal?


Adam: Texans. Vegas getting ready to send another player to prison... OK, maybe not, but Adams is now subject to the NFL disciplinary policy as he was named in an assault case from the camera man he pushed over. So once that process finished, I am sure it will be $ettled, the NFL will do anything from nothing to life suspension... we have no idea.
Lucas note: Fine for sure, maybe a light suspension at most. Unless the Wheel of Discipline goes bonkers.
Joe: Raiders.

Seattle Seahawks @ Los Angeles Chargers (-6.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. The Chargers needed overtime to beat an offensively inept Broncos team and the Seahawks have been competitive this year. This line almost seems too high.
Adam: Chargers. Let see if there are more fans in the stands that points scored.
Joe: Chargers.

Kansas City Chiefs @ San Francisco 49ers (+3.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. They're not losing two in a row.
Adam: Chiefs. Coming off a tough loss to Buffalo, I see a bounce back here by Mahomie and crew.
Joe: Chiefs.

Sunday Night

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Miami Dolphins (-7.5)
Lucas: Steelers. Riding kinda high after their upset of the Bucs, plus they're getting a ton of points in Miami against a team with an uncertain quarterback situation. I'll take those odds.
Adam: Steelers. I like to jest about the Biscuit, but even if he has to play due to Pickett not clearing protocol, I don’t see this game getting too far out of hand. Give me the points and hope that we don’t have to go baking on SNF.
Joe: Steelers.

Monday Night

Chicago Bears @ New England Patriots (-7.5)
Lucas: Patriots. I kinda can't wait for the Bears-Packers rematch at Solder Field to see if we end up with a 0-0 tie, because I really can't leave that off the table.
Adam: Patriots. Until Fields gets help, he will never be able to show his true abilities. I mean last week he was sacked 5 times, and honestly if he were any less mobile, that number could have been double.
Joe: Patriots.

Records So Far
Lucas: 41-53 (6-8 last week)
Adam: 38-56 (5-9 last week)
Joe: 34-59 (4-10 last week)
Geoffrey: 36-58 (5-9 last week)
Jim: 37-57 (3-11 last week)
Tom: 39-55 (5-9 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment