Friday, January 7, 2022

2021 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 18

And so it all comes down to this. Or at least, that's what I wish I could say as we get ready for the final week of the regular season.

Instead, while I wasn't paying super close attention to our scores for the week I got a gloating text from Adam asking if I knew what 0/6 meant. Obviously, he swept our six disputed games last week and I find myself likely needing to cheat if I have any hope of catching him.

Odd year magic means another win for Adam. I'm content with where I'm at, but at this point my goal is to finish in second. On the plus side, I'm guaranteed to finish no worse than .500 for the season. If we were betting money on every game, I'd be about breaking even for the year. Not too shabby.

You can view how the coalition has picked in relation to each other here. As we make our picks for the final time in the 2021 regular season, Adam and I disagree on seven games out of 16. I think at this point, I can safely say: congratulations to our 2021 Pigskin Pick 'Em champion. Let's get to the picks.

Saturday Afternoon

Kansas City Chiefs @ Denver Broncos (+9.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Patrick Mahomes Revenge Game incoming.
Adam: Broncos. Every time I see another article about Mahomie's Brittany complaining about something she really probably doesn't know much about... all I can think of is the OG Britney saying "I'm Britney, b****" with "Toxic" (greatest song ever, prove me wrong) blasting in the background. And that vision makes me happy, sad, and scared all at the same time. Mahomie needs to get his Brittany under control and stop giving all Britney's (and all alternate spellings) a bad rap. Dang.
Lucas note: What a mental image. That's amazing.

Saturday Night

Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles (+7.5)
Lucas: Eagles. This is purely a "taking the points" pick. I would bet Dallas still wins, but not super handily. And I maintain: they're going to flame out in the playoffs and the fallout will be glorious.

Adam: Eagles. I teeter here; Dallas has more to gain from playing hard (possibly moving up to 2nd in the NFC) but need a lot of help. I think Hurts is just glad to be playing in a field that doesn’t have a barrier held up by three zip ties. But it is a divisional game, and I like to have the fanboys go nuts that Filthy beat them.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Cincinnati Bengals @ Cleveland Browns (-2.5)
Lucas: Bengals. Kitty goes meow.
Adam: Bengals. But I could see Cincy pull a backdoor cover. This may be the “inferior” team Baker needed. I expect Burrow to sit much of this one out as the Bengals don’t have much more to play for.
Lucas note: Other than, ya know, an outside shot at the bye and home field.

Green Bay Packers @ Detroit Lions (+2.5)
Lucas: Packers. I can't believe I only have to lay a field goal, even considering this game is meaningless and we'll see a fair amount of Jordan Love before the day is done. And yes, I know I'm betting against the Manning Curse, but I bet the starters will pad this lead pretty early. And while I'm here, let me make the following statements:

  • Aaron Rodgers is an idiot for his stance on COVID, vaccination, etc.
  • Hub Arkush needs to have his MVP vote revoked for making a farce of the whole process.
  • Aaron Rodgers is the 2021 NFL MVP.
Adam: Lions. Just because that would make me smile to see Detroit win, even if it’s only because there is absolutely no reason to play anyone of value. Plus, I feel like I should let Lucas get a point or two since he is such a Packers Homer.

Chicago Bears @ Minnesota Vikings (-2.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Fare thee well, Nagy Era. You were fun.
Adam: Vikings. In a game that doesn’t mean much of anything in the world for anything but pride. I bet the Bears play a little soft given that they will not have to listen to Nagy for much longer.

Washington Football Team @ New York Giants (+6.5)
Lucas: Giants. Because I have to bet against the poverty franchise that nearly killed a bunch of fans and almost hurt Jalen Hurts after the game last week. Dan Snyder needs to be forced to sell the team.
Adam: Washington. In another game that has no impact on anything other than pride, rumor has it that a website for Washington Admirals was set to redirect to the WFT home page... did we just find out their new name? I was really rooting for Redfoxes.
Lucas note: Copyright law sucks.

Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+15.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. Did you know the Colts haven't won in Jacksonville since 2014? Crazy stat that I saw in relation to the Team Chaos playoff scenario that I'd love to see happen... more on that later.
Adam: Colts. I don’t know which way to go. This is a win and in game for Indy. I do not see them losing this game at all, but I'm not sure how hard they push once the result is clear... I’ll reserve this as a possible target for my last mulligan for the year.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens (-4.5)
Lucas: Steelers. Gotta get Ben one last playoff run before he rides into the sunset. Granted, the Stillers will be one and done, but still.
Adam: Steelers. It is somewhat of an outside shot, but technically either team can make the playoffs; they just need Indy to lose (very unlikely), so this will in all likelihood bee the last ride of Big Ben Roethlisberger. A win for Pittsburgh is a fitting end to a Hall of Fame (yes?) career.
Lucas note: Yeah, I'd say he's a lock for Canton. Also, I see what you did there... and I hate you for it.


Tennessee Titans @ Houston Texans (+10.5)
Lucas: Titans. Houston's been sneaky of late, but with control of their own destiny, I think the Titans roll to have the AFC run through Nashville.
Adam: Titans. No reason they will lose this game and no reason they won’t put a stomping on the Texans.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

New Orleans Saints @ Atlanta Falcons (+4.5)
Lucas: Saints. I'm impressed New Orleans played as well as they did this season. Get the quarterback situation fully solved (and maybe Jamies if he's healthy is the answer, I don't know) and this team could be right back in the thick of it next year.
Adam: Falcons. Who wouldn’t want to play spoiler? Falcons for the win.

New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills (-16.5)
Lucas: Jets. Purely taking the points. I'll be interested to see if the Bills get things righted starting next week though.
Adam: Jets. And dare I say: Jets win straight? 16.5 is a tall order under normal circumstances, so I like the cover anyway. The Bills do have a division title to play for, but they have also laid some eggs previously this year. I like the cover and I'm dreaming of a Jets win; then the Bills would have lost to the two worst teams in the league.

New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins (+6.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Always bet against the Patriots in Miami.
Adam: Patriots. Still fighting for a division title, I like them to show up against Miami whose epic run and playoff chances came to an end.

Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-7.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. Not much to say about this game in and of itself. Good on the Bucs though for finally cutting Antonio Brown. I'm convinced dude got CTE from that Vontaze Burfict hit in the playoffs a few years back, and it's completely screwed him up. I buy that he had an ankle injury, but I buy none of the remainder of his story. Dude is a cancer and he needs help.
Adam: Buccaneers. And this just in: in a strange twist of fate, AB comes storming back onto the field, steals a teammate's gear and jumps into the play. And it's Brady to AB for a touchdown!!!!!!

San Francisco 49ers @ Los Angeles Rams (-5.5)
Lucas: 49ers. But the Rams win and lock up the NFC West. Still think the Niners shouldn't have cut Broc Rutter.
Adam: 49ers. Purely a pick based on desperation. San Francisco needs a win to stay in the playoffs. I like them getting it regardless of what New Orleans does.

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals (-6.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Quite an ignominious end for the Russell Wilson Era in Seattle.
Adam: Cardinals. Arizona may be rounding into form just as the playoffs start. A nice win over Dallas last week, and they'll continue that this week in prep for the first round.

Sunday Night

Los Angeles Chargers @ Las Vegas Raiders (+2.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Partially because the Raiders can't stop driving drunk. Though I wouldn't mind be wrong on this game ONLY IF it ends in a tie and the Jags upset the Colts, because then both of these teams would make the playoffs. #TeamChaos
Adam: Raiders. This is a win and you're in scenario. Technically if Pittsburgh wins and Indy loses, then both could make it in with a tie, but it’s highly unlikely for Indy to lose. So that said, I view these teams as even. I’ll take the home team to win, and given that they are getting points, makes that choice clear.

Records So Far
Lucas: 136-120 (5-11 last week)
Adam: 147-109 (11-5 last week)
Joe: 127-129 (8-8 last week)
Geoffrey: 132-124 (9-7 last week)
Jim: 133-123 (6-10 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment