Monday, March 29, 2021

2021 AL East Preview

You know we're getting back to some semblance of normalcy when you're looking at a Thursday start to the Major League Baseball season with a full 162 game slate scheduled. And since they're going all out on this... I figure I need to get back to my normal pattern as well.

Last year I didn't do a preview series for Major League Baseball because of the delay in the start of the season, then the quick start up to the abridged one. But with a full year coming up, I feel like I need to get back to my usual pattern. So each of the next few days, I'll look at two divisions a day, alternating leagues as I used to, finishing up with the division hosting our defending champion. With the playoff picture for 2021 up in the air, I won't go into Wild Card picks since my picks could be rendered meaningless in a month or two, I'll just go with record projections.

So, without further ado, here's my first look at the upcoming season.

AL East

1. New York Yankees
2020: 33-27 (2nd in AL East), Lost in ALDS
This team looks loaded. To me, this is the best staff in the division by far (both in the rotation and at the back end of the bullpen in particular), and I like the look of this lineup. Corey Kluber on the mound and Jay Bruce at first are probably the biggest additions to an already strong foundation, and one that could bring a 28th title to the Bronx.
2021 Prediction: 96-66

2. Tampa Bay Rays
2020: 40-20 (1st in AL East), Lost World Series
Tampa is coming off an October of being something of a Cinderella team, knocking off the hated Astros in the ALCS before falling to the Dodgers. They bring a ton of guys back from last year's pennant winner, including much of the lineup, and their pitching staff is nothing to sneeze at. I think this team can make a run at another pennant.
2021 Prediction: 95-67

3. Toronto Blue Jays
2020: 32-28 (3rd in AL East), Lost in AL Wild Card Round
The Blue Jays are an intriguing group. Leaving out the fact that they won't be playing in Toronto for at least the early part of the season, they've reloaded quite nicely in the past few years following their back to back ALCS trips and have a ton of exciting young talent. I'm not necessarily sure if the pitching will match up, but a Vlad Guerrero, Jr., Cavan Biggio, and Bo Bichette core is intriguing, especially adding George Springer (assuming he can still hit without cheating).
2021 Prediction: 88-74

4. Boston Red Sox
2020: 24-36 (5th in AL East), missed playoffs
Boston fell apart a bit last year, then went into a bit of a fire sale mode, getting rid of Jackie Bradley, Jr. Chris Sale will miss the start of the season, and while there are still some good veteran pieces like J.D. Martinez and Xander Bogaerts, I'm not totally sold on this group. I think they'll be decent... but not great in a division with some elite teams.
2021 Prediction: 80-82

5. Baltimore Orioles
2020: 25-35 (4th in AL East), missed playoffs
I think this O's team is in better shape than they were even a couple years ago when I made the trip to Camden Yards and saw them blow a lead to the Yankees, but I'm still not really sold on this group yet. They weren't great last year, though there are some okay pieces among the everyday guys like Trey Mancini and Pedro Severino. I'll be interested to see what signs of growth they end up showing.
2021 Prediction: 71-91

No comments:

Post a Comment