Tuesday, March 30, 2021

2021 AL Central Preview

Day two of my set of previews for the upcoming MLB season is underway!

Yesterday I covered both East divisions, and I'm working my way west over the next couple days. Since our champion came from out west, I'm saving them for tomorrow, which means I'm staying close to home today.

Starting things off, let's look at the American League Central.

AL Central

1. Minnesota Twins
2020: 36-24 (1st in AL Central), lost in AL Wild Card Round
I was not expecting at first to put the Twins back on top of the Central, especially since they haven't won a playoff game in forever. The pitching is still pretty good, and while they lost some of the Bomba Squad, the addition of Andrelton Simmons is a pretty good one, and a lot of the lineup that hits baseballs really far is still largely intact. I think they take the Central again... but let's try and win a playoff game this year, huh?
2021 Prediction: 89-73

2. Chicago White Sox
2020: 35-25 (T-2nd in AL Central), lost in AL Wild Card Round
The initial plan was to hand the division crown to the White Sox... but then Eloy Jiminez got hurt and will miss most, if not all, of 2021. There's still a ton of good, young talent on this roster though in guys like Luis Robert, Tim Anderson, and Yoan Moncada, as well as great arms especially with the addition of Lance Lynn. I just wonder how much they'll miss Eloy's bat.
2021 Prediction: 87-75

3. Cleveland Indians
2020: 35-25 (T-2nd in AL Central), lost in AL Wild Card Round
With Shane Bieber now headlining the rotation, they've got an ace, but I'm not sold on the depth. They picked up Jorge Polanco from the Twins, but I don't think that outweighs selling off Francisco Lindor. There's good pieces here still, and this team won't be bad, but I'm not sure they'll contend for the division crown.
2021 Prediction: 82-80

4. Kansas City Royals
2020: 26-34 (4th in AL Central), missed playoffs
There are some decent everyday pieces, even if Salvy Perez is now in overpaid territory to some extent, plus Whit Merrifield. I'm just not sold on the pitching staff here. Mike Minor isn't a bad pickup, but I'm not sure that'll be enough here.
2021 Prediction: 70-92

5. Detroit Tigers
2020: 23-35 (5th in AL Central), missed playoffs
It's still rebuild time in the Motor City. You have an aging Miggy Cabrera anchoring the lineup, but nobody else really scares me looking at this lineup. Jose Urena is a decent pickup for the rotation, at least, assuming he doesn't decide to assault someone with a deadly weapon again. Even so, I think this could be a long year for the Tigers.
2021 Prediction: 63-99

No comments:

Post a Comment