Thursday, September 24, 2020

2020 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 3

The coalition returns as we prepare for Week 3 of the NFL season!

We got joined by another random person, so the group now has seven people in it, though they are not counted among the standings here for the purposes of the contest. You can view how the original five of us have picked in relation to each other here.

As for where we're at, Adam and I split our six disputed games last week, keeping him with a two game lead on me for the column. Most of the group has done really well, thanks in large part to us getting off to an outstanding start on consensus picks. I've gone hero a group-high seven times, having won three of them, which is partially why I'm falling out of it, but the rate is the best in the group so far.

As we move on to Week 3, Adam and I disagree on just five games. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Miami Dolphins @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-2.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. You have to give some credit to the Jags: after being considered the biggest dumpster fire in the league on the eve of the season, they've actually played fairly well through two games. Giving a crap has to mean something.
Adam: Jaguars. The Minshew Magic has come on full force here in the first two weeks. The Jags have certainly surprised me to this point this year. I’ll ride the home team in a virtual coin-flip.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Chicago Bears @ Atlanta Falcons (-3.5)
Lucas: Bears. So you're telling me I can get three points with a good defense and a quarterback who can probably give you half a game against...


Adam: Falcons. Something tells the fairytale start to the 2020 Bears season is about to come crashing down. The Falcons were on the losing end of a historical game: they were the first team to lose scoring 39 points and having no turnovers since 1933 (previously teams were 440-0). They come back with some ire and beat the Bears by a touchdown.
Lucas note: Adam wasn't sure of the numbers; I edited his line with them via ESPN Stats and Info.

Los Angeles Rams @ Buffalo Bills (-2.5)
Lucas: Bills. This was the last game I picked because honestly, with this line I think it's a tossup. I'll take the home team in this instance.
Adam: Rams. My gut is telling me to lay the points and trust in what the Bills have become this year. But man, it’s tough for me to convince myself to do that, so I’ll take the points and pray.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5)
Lucas: Bengals. I don't feel like the Eagles should be touchdown favorites, not when Carson Wentz is going to get killed and Joe Burrow has done all right through two games.
Adam: Bengals. Flat out, this comes down to do you like Prince Harry to win or Macaulay Culkin to win? I’ll take Culkin to lay out the Micro Machines and let the paint can fly.
Lucas note: How much prep time does Kevin Joe get?

Washington Football Team @ Cleveland Browns (-6.5)
Lucas: Washington. Yeah, Cleveland ran the ball down Cincy's throat all last Thursday, but I'm not sure they should be touchdown favorites. Taking the points.
Adam: Browns. Last Thursday night's game made me really rethink this game; the Browns looked good, and it seems the Baker may finally be settling into the NFL QB role better. That mixed with a decent receiving corps and solid double headed running monster of Chubb and Hunt.

Tennessee Titans @ Minnesota Vikings (+2.5)
Lucas: Titans. After putting up a bunch of garbage time touchdowns, Kirk Cousins was awful in Week 2. Enough said.
Adam: Titans. Helloooooo... Thielen... are you there? Oh never mind, you got 8 targets that were likely off-target; must have been Kirk "Cannot Hit the Target from 5 Feet Away to Announce Gender Reveal" Cousins. So, I’ll take Henry for 500, Alex.

Las Vegas Raiders @ New England Patriots (-6.5)
Lucas: Raiders. Always fun when the memes get to turn on their head.

Posted by NFL Memes on Sunday, September 20, 2020
Adam: Raiders. This is a tough game. That seems to be a trend this week, or maybe it's that this is the typical time I start to overcorrect for what had happened in Weeks 1 and 2. Regardless, Cam has performed better that anticipated, but the Raiders are playing solid. Pats win with a backdoor cover by the Raiders.

San Francisco 49ers @ New York Giants (+4.5)
Lucas: 49ers. Can we just cancel this game, given that the Giants are screwed without Saquon and the Niners lost basically everybody this past week? Also, if Jimmy's hurt, it's just further proof that YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE CUT BROC RUTTER!

Posted by NFL Memes on Sunday, September 20, 2020

Adam: 49ers. Hmmm... Do I take the severely injured Niners who had more players going down than at... well you know... OK, I’ll keep this clean. On the other side, you have Barkley going down with a season ending ACL tear... I’ll still take the broken 49ers over the slightly weakened G-Men.
Lucas note: I have no idea where you were going with the Niners... and I think I'm okay with that.

Houston Texans @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-3.5)
Lucas: Texans. Houston's had some back luck with tough opponents so far, and it's not like Pittsburgh is any easier, but I think they've got a good chance this week.
Adam: Texans. I’m banking on Watson and crew over Big Ben and crew. DJ has had something of a renaissance this year and I see that trend continuing. Plus getting 3.5 points? Sure, OK.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

New York Jets @ Indianapolis Colts (-10.5)
Lucas: Colts. The Jets are a dumpster fire. I'm normally hesitant to lay double digits, but I think this one is justified.
Adam: Colts. Ahhhhhhh. I hate 10 point games. There have been *checks notes* OK, only two games of that number so far this year, but I am only 1 for 2. But I swear they are little better than hitting a target blindfolded. I really shouldn’t be laying the points but come on, it’s the Jets.

Carolina Panthers @ Los Angeles Chargers (-7.5)
Lucas: Chargers. I'm a little hesitant to lay this many points, but the Chargers last minute had to start Justin Herbert and they went toe-to-toe with the defending champs, and Carolina is down Run CMC. Let's try it.
Adam: Panthers. This game seems to have crap game written all over it. It's going to come down to what quarterbacks show up and who has the ball last. An easy cover by the Panthers in my opinion.

Dallas Cowboys @ Seattle Seahawks (-4.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Remember: the Cowboys are trash. They should be 0-2, but the Falcons are gonna Falcon, and Dallas just happened to be the team to take advantage. Have fun dealing with Russell Wilson, guys.
Adam: Seahawks. I have no, No, NO idea how this is only a 4.5 point line. It's in Seattle, the Cowboys needed a miracle of a game by Dak combined with an (admittedly clever) onside kick recovery AND had to score 40 points to overcome the barrage by the Falcons. The Heifergirls get steamrolled by Seattle going away: 37-14. Yes, that much of a blow-out.
Lucas note: You want to call an all-time choke job of not knowing the rule "clever?" Fair enough.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Denver Broncos (+5.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. I think I may have written off Touchdown Tom too soon. And now that the Broncos went out and signed Blake Bortles...
Adam: Buccaneers. We want Gronk! We want Gronk! The much-anticipated return of Gronk-a-lonk And he has what; four targets, two catches, and a handful of yards. Boo. But regardless, they are playing decent, and it looks like Fournette has learned the system after an explosion of a game last week.

Detroit Lions @ Arizona Cardinals (-5.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Okay, I think it's safe to say Arizona is legit. And given that the Lions are awful... how much longer will Matt Patricia have his job?
Adam: Cardinals. Matt Stafford may die in this game. Not even close.

Sunday Night

Green Bay Packers @ New Orleans Saints (-3.5)
Lucas: Packers. Yeah, Green Bay's run defense is crap, but they bounced back fairly well after a rough start against the Lions. And if the Saints just gave up 34 to the Raiders when Rodgers, Jones, and Company have dropped back-to-back 40-burgers on teams... give me the points, thanks.
Adam: Saints. Another example of a tough line. Green Bay’s offense went nuts in Week 1 with 43 points, then cooled off last week with only 42 points! And it seems that Brees may be losing a step. BUT... We are talking about Brees at home. And we all know he is a different animal at home. And yes, maybe this is me over correcting.
Lucas note: Well, considering I'm going against my own new advice from last week seeing as it blew up in my face...

Monday Night

Kansas City Chiefs @ Baltimore Ravens (-3.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Make Monday Night Football Fun Again.
Adam: Chiefs. Another game that is tough and where I would not argue with anyone that picks the other way. I’m banking on Mahomie not being happy with the performance he and his team gave against the Chargers. We may see Angry Mahomes; maybe 400 yards and three touchdowns plus one rushing.

Records So Far
Lucas: 20-12 (11-5 last week)
Adam: 22-10 (11-5 last week)
Joe: 18-14 (8-8 last week)
Geoffrey: 21-11 (11-5 last week)
Jim: 19-13 (9-7 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment