Thursday, December 6, 2018

2018 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 14

We interrupt your series of collegiate athletics posts, including the upcoming 2018 Death to the BCS Playoffs (and upcoming fast forward through the 2017 Death to the BCS Playoffs) to bring you the latest from the coalition!

Last week was less than ideal for much of the coalition, but once again there was upheaval at the top of the standings. Kristen is once again alone in first place, but just a game apiece separates each of the top four people going into the three-quarter turn. Please note that the ESPN standings give Adam one more point than he should due to an early season picking error. Though if it were up to me, I'd give him that point, A, because he needs all the help he can get, but also B, I thought it was a nice touch on his Monday night pick.

Speaking of Adam, he had another decent week, but I still took five of our nine disputed picks from last week. It was a week that ranged from mediocre to awful, especially in Aiden's case as he didn't enter any picks this week. Officially, it counts as a winless week, but it doesn't go down in the record books as the worst week in contest history since he didn't actually pick the teams. Hopefully he can get those in in time this week.

Kicking off the fourth quarter of the 2018 campaign, Adam and I disagree on just five games out of 16. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Tennessee Titans (-3.5)
Lucas: Titans. I know they probably won't wear them, but just because this is the Annual Mustard Bowl I'm picking against the Jaguars.
Adam: Titans. An up and downs Titans team against the fading Jags... lay the points all day.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Green Bay Packers (-5.5)
Lucas: Packers. MCCARTHY'S FINALLY FREAKING GONE!
Adam: Packers. With Mikey Boy gone, and A-A-Ron allowed to run the offense the way he wants, I don't see this ending in anything other than a Packers win by 14.

New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills (-3.5)
Lucas: Bills. I'm pretty sure the Jets have quit on Todd Bowles at this point...
Adam: Jets.The Bills just released a solid, though underperforming, piece of their offense in Kelvin Benjamin. I don't actually know why, but something tells me it had to do with money.
Lucas note: That would make sense, even though he's now $8.5 million of dead weight on the Bills' cap, but he's off the books for next year.

Carolina Panthers @ Cleveland Browns (+1.5)
Lucas: Browns. So did... did the Steelers do some sort of psychological damage to the Panthers in that Thursday night beatdown? Because I don't know how else to explain the slide.
Adam: Panthers. This comes down to experience for me: Cam has it, Mayfield does not. Also, McCaffrey will run circles around anyone.

Indianapolis Colts @ Houston Texans (-4.5)
Lucas: Colts. This one's kind of a tossup for me; it's the sternest test Houston has faced in a while, but the Colts just got beat by a bad Jaguars team. I'll take the points in a rebound effort by Captain Andrew Luck.
Adam: Colts. As I said last week, the Colts have been coming on. They hit a little bump in a sloppy game, but should get back on track and at least cover.

Baltimore Ravens @ Kansas City Chiefs (-6.5)
Lucas: Ravens. SOMEONE GET RGIII HOOKED UP THE REJUVENATION MACHINE, STAT!
Adam: Ravens. No comment.

New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins (+8.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. I don't know the exact number, but Brady is something like 7-9 straight up in Miami, and that's not counting against the spread. I'm taking the points and pulling an Alucard.
Adam: Dolphins. They held on to a win against the Bears earlier in the season. I think they have some grit, so I'll go with that and figure the line looks a little high.

New Orleans Saints @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+8.5)
Lucas: Saints. Drew Brees Revenge Game? Drew Brees Revenge Game.
Adam: Saints. This is just not fair. The Bucs will get destroyed. Maybe we will see Major Fitzmagic back? How I have missed him.

New York Giants @ Washington Redskins (-0.5)
Lucas: Giants. Look, at this point I'm pretty sure Odell Beckham, Jr. is a better quarterback than Mark Sanchez, which is pretty sad, but the Giants are playing pretty well of late, and going up against any third string quarterback is usually a pretty good sign.
Adam: Redskins. Lol, Dirty Sanchez now has a butt fumble recovery., Oh how the world comes back full circle.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Cincinnati Bengals @ Los Angeles Chargers (-14.5)
Lucas: Bengals. I don't want to doubt what Phillip Rivers and company are doing right now, but I'm not sure they should be two touchdown favorites, even against an A.J. Green-less Bengals team.
Adam: Chargers. With Dalton and Green out, I don't see much happening; in the game or in the stands. Man, get some fans!
Lucas note: To quote one of the great s***posters of our time... (Note: video contains NSFW language)

Denver Broncos @ San Francisco 49ers (+5.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Denver might not make the playoffs, but it won't be for lack of trying.
Adam: Broncos. Not sure why; just like the spot. The 49ers are weak and inconsistent; Denver has been the same, but seems a little more consistent.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys (-4.5)
Lucas: Eagles. I went back and forth with this one a little bit, but I'm going to take the points because I'm still not totally sure I trust the Cowboys and Philly might be working its way back.
Adam: Eagles. Just so I can hear the sports talk guys overanalyze the loss and think the world is ending.

Detroit Lions @ Arizona Cardinals (+2.5)
Lucas: Lions. There's an old gambling rule, usually reserved for the playoffs, but I'll break it out here. Don't bet on a team that celebrated like it won the Super Bowl last week. Matt Patricia will find a way to do what Mike McCarthy couldn't.
Adam: Cardinals. After they overcame a 14 point spread why should a 2.5 point spread make them fear? But wait, who did they beat again last week? Lucas, can you help me here? Oh wait I remember... we will all remember.
Lucas note: Doesn't matter, got McCarthy fired.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Oakland Raiders (+11.5)
Lucas: Raiders. Last time, on Days of Our Steelers... (Note: video contains NSFW language)
Adam: Raiders. With Conner out, it will take the focus off the balanced offense and allow the Raiders to run some better defensive plays. I say a clear cover by Oakland... and a back door win!?!?

Sunday Night

Los Angeles Rams @ Chicago Bears (+3.5)
Lucas: Bears. I don't want to overreact to the Bears blowing a game they should have easily won this past week. Getting just over a field goal gives me confidence in taking the points this week.
Adam: Bears. I know, I know, I know; the Bears lost to the F-in' G-men. But I think there were a lot of factors that went into that, primarily that The Biscuit was not playing. Bears win straight by 10 this week; the Rams will not get anything going on offense, and not be able to continually stop the Bears.
Adam note: But I would take a loss to the G-Men over the Cards any day, how about you Lucas?
Lucas note: Can't hear you, I'm in my happy place.
Lucas note: Much better.

Monday Night

Minnesota Vikings @ Seattle Seahawks (-3.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. What have I been saying for years? Shady s*** happens on Monday nights in Seattle. F*** Lance Easley, Golden Tate, and the crew that screwed the Lions in 2015 because I'm bitter but not biased.
Adam: Seahawks. They have been gelling and doing some pretty amazing things. With a Bears win and a Minnesota loss, that all but seals the NFC North for the Monsters of the Midway... God help me, but go Seattle and Pete Carroll.

Records So Far
Lucas: 95-97 (8-8 last week)
Adam: 71-121 (7-9 last week)
Geoffrey: 85-107 (5-11 last week)
Joe: 93-99 (4-12 last week)
Aiden: 87-105 (0-16* last week)
Kristen: 96-96 (7-9 last week)
Jen: 94-98 (7-9 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment