Thursday, November 29, 2018

2018 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 13

The bye weeks are complete, there are 80 NFL games left for the regular season, and... oh, hey, look at those standings!

For the fifth straight week, the top of the standings at least partially changed hands, as Kristen remains in first but in a tie with Joe. But now there's a jumble just a couple games out of first place with a three-way tie for third. You can view how we've picked in relation to each other here, which also adjusts for an early picking error on ESPN. Meanwhile, the standings below also take Addy's picks from Thanksgiving week into account, and she acquitted herself pretty well.

As for your columnists, Week 5 was an absolutely awful performance for me as I had one of the worst performances in contest history. Just seven weeks later, I followed that up with the best week in contest history as I swept the six disputed games with Adam and found myself right back in the hunt for the group lead.

As we close out the third quarter of the NFL season, Adam and I disagree on a whopping nine games out of 16. Let's pick some games!

Thursday Night

New Orleans Saints @ Dallas Cowboys (+7.5)
Lucas: Saints. I feel like the Cowboys could give them a game, but they'll will probably find some way to blow a chance and give the Saints the late cover.
Adam: Cowboys. You know what, two weeks ago I was laughing at the Dallas sports talk guys for even suggesting playoffs. But with the addition of Cooper, which has opened the run game, and the unfortunate Skins loss of Smith for the season, I could see Dallas squeaking in...
Lucas note: Yeah, the NFC East is pretty wide open.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Baltimore Ravens @ Atlanta Falcons (+1.5)
Lucas: Ravens. Lamar Jackson might be supplanting the elite Joe Flacco as the franchise quarterback, and they're going up against a mediocre Falcons team. I'll lay the point and a half, sure.
Adam: Falcons. Never More! I just feel like the Falcons are a much better team than 4-7. Not sure what has been holding them back, but I like this spot for the Falcons.
Lucas note:


Buffalo Bills @ Miami Dolphins (-5.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Taking on an important factor that I usually forget: don't bet against a warm weather team playing at home in December against a cold weather team. Or maybe more specifically, beware the Dolphins' hidden home field advantage.
Adam: Bills. Buffalo has been stingy with the defense this year. Their biggest issue had been putting points on the board. Kelvin Benjamin only has 1 touchdown this year. Fire him up today.

Chicago Bears @ New York Giants (+4.5)
Lucas: Bears. This seems especially true given that Pat Shurmur blew the Philly game.
Adam: Bears. I think regardless of the Biscuit playing or not (and I say rest him if there is any uncertainty) the Bears win handily. By 20 with Biscuit, only about 7-8 with Olde Danny Boy.

Denver Broncos @ Cincinnati Bengals (+3.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Flag: planted.
Adam: Broncos. I am going to guess this line came out before knowing that Dalton was out with a bum hitchhikers finger. Denver played, and won, against a strong Pitt team. Even on the road, I like Denver by a touchdown.
Lucas note: No, the news of Dalton going on IR came out on Monday, lines come out Tuesday. I do wonder though how much difference the injury made.

Cleveland Browns @ Houston Texans (-6.5)
Lucas: Texans. Keep riding that hot hand. Granted, Houston hasn't really beaten anyone on their long winning streak, but Cleveland isn't exactly a world-beater and they don't have the emotion on their side this week.
Adam: Browns. The Texans should win this game easily at home, but the Browns have been in games late and one bad bounce, an unlucky turn over or a missed hug... you never know.
Adam note: I like living in a world where the Packers and the Browns have the same record. Yes yes yes Lucas, let that sink in...
Lucas note: I hate you. :P

Los Angeles Rams @ Detroit Lions (+9.5)
Lucas: Lions. Coming off a bye following that amazing game with the Chiefs, I feel like this has "letdown" written all over it. Taking the points.
Adam: Rams. Ummm... really, only 9.5?! I lay the points and enjoy my free point.

Arizona Cardinals @ Green Bay Packers (-14.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. I said it before, I'll say it again: Mike McCarthy is a coward who needs to be fired. Green Bay has no business being a two touchdown favorite. This is as good as game as any to get the offense back on track, but I'm figuring either a back door cover or the Packers continuing to struggle yet winning, but never quite pushing the lead beyond 14.
Adam: Cardinals. Mark this down as the most epic prediction of the year; epic in that it will either be the greatest or the worst: Cards win straight up! Yes, you heard it here first: DJ runs for 250 and three, yes three, touchdowns.
Lucas note:

Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+3.5)
Lucas: Colts. SOMEONE GET CAPTAIN ANDREW LUCK SOME MORE SQUIRREL OIL.
Adam: Colts. So I saw a meme, and then confirmed in Yahoo! Sports app, that apparently Luck has 3 more touchdown passes and only about 20 fewer passing yards than Brees. Wow, I guess that is the value of a top RB too. But since the Jags lost to the Bills last week, I don’t see much upside for the future London Jags.
Lucas note: I attempted to find said meme, but was unable to. I'm sad.

Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3.5)
Lucas: Panthers. I got burned by Carolina last week (then again, so did we all), but I'm not as worried about it this week against that awful Tampa defense combined with The Bakery.
Adam: Panthers. I don’t care what happened last week with Carolina. The ground game and stud McGee McCaffery will continue.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

New York Jets @ Tennessee Titans (-9.5)
Lucas: Jets. Yes, I'm aware the Jets have essentially quit on their coach and this season, but have you seen the Titans lately? They don't deserve to be double digit favorites, even at home. Taking the points.
Adam: Jets. Just on pure spread. Don’t like much of anything here, just going to take the points and hope.

Kansas City Chiefs @ Oakland Raiders (+14.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. I should be hesitant to lay two touchdowns on the road, but the Raiders are the Raiders. I'll take the gamble.
Adam: Chiefs. I guess it would depend on if Jordy Nelson pulls a Davis. I heard that Nelson is so fed up with the team that he has threatened to retire at halftime a la Vontae Davis! Oh wouldn’t that be funny. Regardless, Oakland has no hope here; I would be more willing to put money on the Raiders not scoring than covering this spread.

Minnesota Vikings @ New England Patriots (-6.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Going from Mike McCarthy to Bill Belichick is like going from playing Chutes and Ladders with a five year old to facing Gandhi in Civilization. Have fun getting nuked, Minnesota.
Adam: Vikings. On defense alone, I am giving the nod to Minnesota. The Pats have been up and down this year, having some WTF losses such as to Tennessee a few weeks back. The Vikings will be hungry coming off the loss to the Bears.

San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks (-10.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Welcome back home, Richard Sherman. Have fun getting lit up by your suddenly resurgent former team.
Adam: 49ers. With Matt Breida healthy again it opens up the passing game a lot. And with the Legion of Boom gone... I don’t see how this game is won/lost by more than a field goal.

Sunday Night

Los Angeles Chargers @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-3.5)
Lucas: Chargers. I really shouldn't bet against the Telenovela, but in the last two weeks they barely got by Jacksonville before losing to a better-than-we-thought Denver team. I'll take the points and the upset here, thanks.
Adam: Steelers. I went back and forth on this game. The spread effectively makes it a toss-up (generally home field is worth three points), but with Gordon out nursing an MCL, and the fact that Pitt’s D has the most sacks in the NFL, thank you Watt (no, not JJ, TJ), I am going with the home team here.

Monday Night

Washington Redskins @ Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5)
Lucas: Redskins. I'm sorry, why are the Eagles touchdown favorites? They're not that good.
Adam: Eagles. No respect for the Skins organization right now.
Lucas note: For full disclosure, I made this pick before the Redskins slid further into disgrace. I'm not changing it even though it might be the moral thing to do, but Chainsaw Dan needs to go.

Records So Far
Lucas: 87-89 (13-2 last week)
Adam: 64-112 (7-8 last week)
Geoffrey: 80-96 (8-7 last week)
Joe: 89-87 (8-7 last week)
Aiden: 87-89 (5-10 last week)
Kristen: 89-87 (6-9 last week)
Jen: 87-89 (8-7 last week)
Addy: 8-7 (8-7 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment