Sunday, August 26, 2012

NFC East Preview

Three weeks is a long time to be on hiatus from writing. But duty calls at work and I didn't want to spam this blog with more anti-PSU apologist drivel or go on about indisputable facts pertaining to how bad the Dream Team would have beaten this year's Olympic team. But with the NFL regular season almost upon us, it's time I did some catching up... heavy catching up.

Every day for the next 8 days I will write a preview about each of the NFL's divisions ranking each team and giving thought to their season at hand. Stay tuned as well later this week as I'll be unveiling an interactive plan for the 2012 campaign with some help. But for now, let's turn our attention to the division of the defending Super Bowl champs.

NFC East
Common opponents on schedule: NFC South, AFC North

1. New York Giants
2011 Record: 9-7, won Super Bowl XLVI

Last year near the end of the regular season into the playoffs, people began making the case for Eli Manning as an elite quarterback. It's a case I agree with, though I think he falls just short of the upper echelon of elite quarterbacks (right now, Rodgers, Brees and Brady) but could easily be considered a top 5 QB. (You can see my full rankings here.) Nonetheless he is a force to be reckoned with, especially late in a close game. He has a fair amount of weapons in Ahmad Bradshaw, Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks, though the loss of Brandon Jacobs will hurt. What really scares me though is the defense, anchored by that scary good front line (JPP, Umenyiora and Tuck) that will pressure opposing quarterbacks. This team has a good shot at a repeat as long as they stay healthy (always the magical formula for success).

2. Philadelphia Eagles
2011 Record: 8-8, missed playoffs

Health is always a concern here, especially considering how fragile Michael Vick can be. But the so-called "Dream Team" from last year severely underachieved to .500 ball (granted, again, Vick was hurt) despite coming away with a huge haul in the shortened free agency period following the lockout. This team on paper still looks good even if Vick is hampered by his rib injury and won't start the opener. Lesean McCoy is a solid running back, and Mike Kafka would still have guys like Desean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin to throw to, with a tough defense led by Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. I don't think they'll be a playoff team this year but they'll be in the hunt right up until the end.

3. Dallas Cowboys
2011 Record: 8-8, missed playoffs

It's gotten to the point the last couple of years where people rag on Tony Romo and call him overrated. I would argue (as I'm sure others would) that he's become so overrated he's now underrated. He puts up very good numbers in the regular season, but also can make some mistakes at inopportune moments. I'm not entirely sold on a DeMarco Murray/Felix Jones top 2 at the tailback spot, and I feel that this defense can and will be thrown on a lot, but these guys will be competitive. I just think Jerry Jones was off a few months ago when he said the Cowboys' window was closing; it was never really open to begin with (and contrary to what he and his players might say, I don't think it's open this year.)

4. Washington Redskins
2011 Record: 5-11, missed playoffs

I hate to seem like I'm adding to the East Coast bias, but I think this is one of the strongest divisions top to bottom in the NFL (I'd rank the NFC North for sure above these guys, but not sure beyond that.) Having Robert Griffin III as your new quarterback certainly helps. While I think he'll have some struggles when defenses adjust to him a little bit, I think he'll definitely help this team win some ball games. I'm not completely sold on their other offensive skill players, but their defense doesn't look too bad on paper. They'll be in ball games; I just don't know that they'll have the firepower to put them over the top a lot. Guys like Pierre Garcon and Tim Hightower can only do so much.

That's it for now. Tomorrow I will have the AFC East for you as I bust my butt to crank out 32 team previews in 8 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment