Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hitting the Century Mark

In August of 2011, I began work at WROK, a news-talk radio station up in Rockford, Illinois as a board operator for football games following my graduation from North Central College. I had begun thinking about starting up a sports blog in hopes of using that as a springboard into further work in sports media. While sadly that has not happened and I am instead monitoring traffic in southern California from downtown Chicago, I have stayed in the game thanks to a decision in October of 2011 to start up Confessions of a Sportscaster. It's been more of a fun thing to keep myself busy while also giving myself a forum to voice opinions about the world of sports.

It took a little over 10 months with coverage of football, basketball, hockey, baseball, and the Olympics, as well as long winded rants denouncing the evils of the BCS or people who prioritize sports over life, death, and child abuse. I've written about gut wrenching losses and amazing experiences in a gym. But finally today, I write my 100th post for Confessions of a Sportscaster.

To celebrate this, I won't link back to any prior articles as you can find them on the sidebar on the right. But I will instead talk about an opportunity for a contest with a friend and a chance for you to play along.

I've mentioned a few times that my friend Nathaniel recently started an NFL blog and in order to unite our writing in the name of something fun, we decided we were going to pick winners in NFL games. But since just doing that would be too easy, we decided to take it up a notch and pick against the spread. We will post our picks and the reasons behind them (a la Bill Simmons) on either here or his site (probably alternating weekly) and go head to head to see who can pick these games better. The winner between the two of us will likely get to guest write for the loser's blog, something fun on that end.

I'd also like to extend that same offer to those of you who randomly decide to read this. You can sign up for a free ESPN account and join our pool here. In the event neither Nathaniel nor I win, the winner will get an opportunity to guest write a post on here as well. There's no restrictions on who wants to join. If you know copious amounts about the NFL or know absolutely nothing, you are welcome to take us on.

Realize that the probably deadline is before the regular season starts in a week, so you have until then if you want to join us. Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment