Friday, May 18, 2012

Thanks Kerry

The year was 1998. Michael Jordan had not too long ago hit his final shot as a Chicago Bull and home runs (and roids) were taking Major League Baseball by storm. My mom was out of town with our church's youth group, so my dad decided to take me to the holiest shrine of baseball for the first time.

The Cubs were in the hunt for an eventual wild card berth and had one of the most beloved players of the time playing right field. They also had a sensational rookie taking the league by storm named Kerry Wood, or Kid K at the time. He was taking the mound for the Cubs on July 26, 1998 against the Mets. My first game at Wrigley Field.

Wood would go on to pitch 7 innings with 6 strikeouts and one mistake (a solo shot in the 2nd by Brian McRae). He would also benefit from Sammy Sosa hitting his 38th home run of the season as the Cubs went on to win 3-1. It was a day I'll never forget.

So it's with sadness today that I heard Kerry Wood decided to announce his retirement from the game. It seems like time, given that he has struggled this season. You hate to see an athlete go out on a sour note like that, but he's picking a good time. From what I've heard, he will make one more appearance before hanging it up. Given that he's playing at Wrigley, it seems appropriate.


Wood has been one of my favorite Cubs since I really started paying attention to baseball in 1998. Obviously he didn't reach the potential so many figured he had, with injuries plaguing him early and often in his career. Through 2011, Wood is 86-75 with a 3.67 ERA and a solid 1.27 WHIP, while also recording 63 saves. Certainly capable of much more, but whenever he pitched at a game I attended, it was something to behold.

The aforementioned 1998 win not too long after he punched out 20 Astros. But my favorite memories come from 2003, when he started both games I went to at Wrigley. In a September start against the Mets, he threw a shutout, striking out 11. Earlier that June, he beat the Milwaukee Brewers, notching the ever-common 1-6-5-3-4-3 double play in the top of the 1st and later launching a home run in a game that to this day is still the best Cubs game I have ever attended.

I wish his career had been more fulfilling, and while the numbers aren't there, his passion for the game and love of the city of Chicago and Cubs fans everywhere made him a fan favorite.

Kerry, whenever your last outing is, go out there and have fun one last time. And as you step off that field for the final time, soak in the ovation. It's the least we can do to thank you for your loyalty and the memories you gave us. Thank you again.

Eamus Catuli!

No comments:

Post a Comment