Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Long Summer's Wait

Photo taken by Justin Zipser.
I have the worst sense of timing it seems.

During much of the regular season for the Blackhawks, I would up tuning into games where they'd lose in overtime. I had just gotten in my car to turn on ESPN-1000 to hear the end of the Bulls game tonight. Unfortunately it just so happened I tuned in to hear Iguodala's free throws that sealed the series. My stomach sank.

This was a painful series for us Bulls fans, as I'm sure Geoffy can attest to. It was a painful series for the Bulls, who became the Walking Wounded by series' end. And for a team that came into the postseason thinking championship or bust, it was a punch in the stomach, following by a kick in the groin.

You have to give the Bulls credit; they were not going to go out without a fight tonight. And they gave Philly a great fight pretty much the whole series. But the Sixers executed in the fourth quarter consistently; the Bulls coughed up leads late. It's what we hounded LeBron about last year in the Finals, so the Bulls deserve that same scrutiny. Based on the fact that they had 4th quarter leads they couldn't protect, the Bulls should have won this series. But they gave it away.

I have to tip my hat to the Sixers for sticking by what Evan Turner said before the playoffs started. They backed up his talk. That being said, I am rooting for Boston in the next round. Not just because I think they have the best shot in the East of taking out Miami, but also because of the callous actions of some of the Sixers fans. I know, every city has its scumbag fans. I'm a Cubs fan; I know many of my fellow Cubs fans can sink pretty low. But so many of the stories of bad fans come from Philadelphia, and I feel bad for the good fans there whose reputations are tarnished by these goons.

That little rant aside, what can we expect from the Bulls next season? Obviously I think they'll be back in the picture next year, but at least for starters as a fringe contender. We don't know how long Rose will be out while his knee heals, and Deng will need wrist surgery. I certainly think the rest of the core can tread water until the key guys return. As for reinforcements, don't expect anything. I doubt the Bulls will use their amnesty on Boozer just yet as he improved overall during the season, but disappeared tonight. Without that, there's minimal cap space to add pieces other than through the draft, and I don't know what the Bulls can get yet.

The title window is nowhere near closed yet though, Bulls fans. Try and enjoy the summer watching our baseball teams overachieve a little bit, prepare for football to start up again, and know that this team will be back. It may take a while, but they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment