Thursday, September 15, 2022

2022 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 2

One week down, the coalition returns to work for the next round of picking NFL games against the spread!

For most of us, this was about par for the course in the opener. I took two of three disputed games from Adam and a whopping five of six from Joe, and Adam took four of five in Week 1. The result of that bloodbath has me with a narrow lead in the group through 16 games, Adam right on my tail, and Joe returning to the basement.

If you check the group, you may notice a 0-0 record for Hunter, one of our new contestants. He entered his picks on the wrong thing, but I'm not going to penalize him for that. We'll give him a mulligan this round and mark him at 0-0, then see how he does from here.

You can view how we've all picked in relation to each other here. It was a good week for hero picks as those of us who opted for them were successful in our first attempts of the year, while the more agreed upon picks saw less success in the opening week. I had to adjust the sheet to account for Hunter not entering picks in the right group, but everything from Week 1 should be accounted for now.

And so we return to column format for Week 2; Joe sent me his picks in advance but did not have time to do any writeups for any games, so his picks are presented without context. This week, Adam and I disagree on 6 games, Joe and I on 6, and Adam and Joe on 4. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Los Angeles Chargers @ Kansas City Chiefs (-3.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Continue the Patrick Mahomes Revenge Tour.
Adam: Chargers. An early AFC West tilt that could have much broader and late season implications. I am, of course, talking about tiebreakers. That said, I like this line in favor of the Chargers. I think too many will overreact to Mahomie going off on Arizona.
Lucas note: 

Joe: Chiefs.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

New York Jets @ Cleveland Browns (-6.5)
Lucas: Browns. Maybe the Factory of Sadness will be able to tread water, at least early on. Getting a bad Jets team helps.
Adam: The Steamer of Cleveland Browns. Sorry, bad joke. Cleveland surprised a little last week... or did Baker just suck? In any case, the Jets are just a dumpster fire. Cleveland at home giving the points.
Joe: Browns.

Washington Commanders @ Detroit Lions (-2.5)
Lucas: Lions. Detroit acquitted itself well in its opener; I see that continuing especially against Carson Wentz and company. God, I miss the Go Bison days.
Adam: Lions. So, legit question: when was the last time Detroit was favored in a game? I jest of course; I am sure it was last year some time, but call this a gut pick, call this I watched Hard Knocks and now am semi-invested in the player.
Joe: Lions.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New Orleans Saints (+2.5)
Lucas: Saints. Only because it's the regular season.
Adam: Buccaneers. After a generally bad showing last week against Dallas, I see nothing but upside here for Brady. He was only able to muster one touchdown last week. I see better things here, and a close, but still generally easy cover.
Joe: Buccaneers.

Carolina Panthers @ New York Giants (-2.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Only because I still have no faith in the Giants. We'll wait until the Great Reversal before I start making any panicky moves.
Adam: Giants. Saquon is back. That is all you need to know.
Joe: Giants.

New England Patriots @ Pittsburgh Steelers (+1.5)
Lucas: Steelers. Don't care if TJ Watt is out long term; STEELERS GAHNTA SUPER BOWL. [/yinzer]
Adam: Steelers. After a thrilling OT victory against the 2021 runnerup in a game that no one, and I mean no one, wanted to win; a game that featured a missed PAT at the end of regulation, a duffed FG, a doinked FG and a missed FG before Pitt finally put one through... They ride the W into a much easier game.
Lucas note: This must've been our one mandatory wonky game in Cincy this year a la the Packers-Bengals tilt last season. But you know who else likes special teams gaffes that end up costing games? Wheaton.

Joe: Steelers.

Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+4.5)
Lucas: Colts. Assuming, of course, Indy isn't still dealing with PTSD from the last time they were here.
Adam: Colts. I was tempted to go Jacksonville here; I think Sunshine is getting more comfortable in his role, and Indy did nothing to help anyone last week in a tie with Houston. But my gut says lay the points and pray.
Joe: Colts.

Miami Dolphins @ Baltimore Ravens (-3.5)
Lucas: Ravens. Go get that bag, Lamar.
Adam: Ravens. Jackson looked like the contract talks didn’t take anything out of him. He is certainly betting on himself this year. I see big things from him this year.
Joe: Ravens.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Los Angeles Rams (-10.5)
Lucas: Falcons. I know on paper this should be a runaway for the Rams, so maybe this is me overreacting to Week 1. If I am though, it's more about the Falcons playing fairly well in Week 1 than it is about the Rams getting their doors blown off by a Super Bowl favorite.
Adam: Falcons. I am not sure I get this line. I know the Rams are better than they showed last Thursday against the Bills, but Atlanta held fast against the Saints. For that reason, I will take the points. But also, I wouldn’t be shocked by a Rams blowout.
Joe: Rams.

Seattle Seahawks @ San Francisco 49ers (-8.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. This is more of a taking the points thing than a "oh man, maybe the Seahawks are actually good/the Niners are actually bad" take.
Adam: Seahawks. This is probably a knee-jerk reaction to San Francisco loss and Seattle win, the complete opposite way I saw both teams starting. I’ll take the 8.5 and wait to see more from Trey Lance.
Joe: Seahawks.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Dallas Cowboys (+7.5)
Lucas: Bengals. You already know.

Adam: Heiferladies. LMFAO, Dak hurt in the first game. He is out for 6-8 weeks, thought Jerra is smoking crack thinking he may be back in four or less. Regardless, the Dallas defense is as good if not better than Pittsburgh’s, and Cooper Rush is on par with the Biscuit. So I’ll take those points at home and laugh on my way to the bank.
Joe: Bengals.

Houston Texans @ Denver Broncos (-9.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Calling a mulligan from Monday. Broncos roll.
Adam: Broncos. Last minute switch for me here. I always enter my picks quickly on Tuesday, making snap picks and 9 out of 10 times I usually stick with my original pick. This one I am just wavering on banking that last week was just a fluke for both teams: Houston and Seat-whoops, sorry, Denver. Seems Wilson made the same mistake.
Joe: Texans.

Arizona Cardinals @ Las Vegas Raiders (-5.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. I could see this going either way, so I'll take the wiggle room with the points.
Adam: Raiders. Rumor has it A A Ron called Adams during halftime begging him to come back, but Adams did not take that call. He was busy going 10/17 for 141 and a touchdown. I see nothing but the same here.
Lucas note: Yes, I know, he had more receiving yards than the entire Packers wideout room, yadda yadda. Let's move on.
Joe: Raiders.

Sunday Night

Chicago Bears @ Green Bay Packers (-9.5)
Lucas: Bears. Ugh, I feel dirty. I'd love to make another entry in the Sunday Night Massacre franchise, and I've been looking forward for months to make some crack about the Packers overtaking the Bears on the all time wins list, but everything is awful and I hate it. Now here, while I'm convinced a revenge game is forthcoming because the Packers don't lose back to back games under Matt LaFleur (ignore the whole playoff collapse thing)... this is a lot. Taking the points.
Adam: Bears. In an early divisional matchup, teams come to play. I don’t like this line either; seems a touch high. I get it, the Packers lost to a topnotch Vikings team, and the Bears beat a new QB in an absolute monsoon. Though early candidate for photo of the year by Fields. Bears cover, but jury is out on who wins.
Lucas note: Okay, yeah, that whole slip n' slide celly at the end was awesome.
Joe: Bears.

Monday Night

Tennessee Titans @ Buffalo Bills (-9.5)
Lucas: Bills. I need to come up with a "Euphoric Violet Gazelle"-esque nickname for Josh Allen because... good Lord.

Adam: Bills. I do not like this pick. I just cannot get my head around this. Not sure what to think of Tennessee's loss yet, but I’ll roll the dice that Buffalo continues their march to the Championship.
Joe: Bills.

Minnesota Vikings @ Philadelphia Eagles (-1.5)
Lucas: Eagles. The Vikings won their Super Bowl. Now they get to go back to the doldrums.
Adam: Vikings. This is going to be a fun Monday night game. Plain and simple, I like Minnesota to win on the road. Also, Justin Jefferson will win the receiving title, it's already been decided.
Joe: Vikings.

Records Last Week
Lucas: 8-8
Adam: 7-9
Joe: 4-12
Geoffrey: 5-11
Jim: 4-12
Hunter: 0-0 (DNP)
Tom: 7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment