Thursday, September 14, 2017

2017 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em Week 2

Another season, another Week 1 of me spotting Adam a lead in our consortium.

In all seriousness though, he did well last week, taking five of our six disputed games to open the season short of the 15-0 he was shooting for, but with a two game cushion over the nearest competitor. You may notice, if you check the ESPN standings, that Adam and Geoff are tied. Usually a couple times a year though, Adam goofs when he makes his ESPN picks and they don't match what he sent me, which is what I go by. Last year he didn't make that mistake until like, Week 13. This year, he made it on opening night... and again on Sunday night.

Fortunately, I caught it both times. Precedent states that the picks that get made on here take priority over what happens on ESPN. This is why I keep track of the picks on a Google sheet. That shows a breakdown of how we pick in relation to each other, which is an easier task with four people than it is with five because there's one fewer category.

Anyway, in Week 2 Adam and I disagree on seven games out of the full 16. Let's see if I can get back into it!

Thursday Night

Houston Texans @ Cincinnati Bengals (-4.5)
Lucas: Texans. I'm not entirely sold on Deshaun Watson just because of the small sample size, but with a full season's sample size, Andy Dalton isn't very good at night. He's like the anti-Peyton Manning.
Adam: Bengals. I know JJ Watt has done some pretty incredible things the past few weeks for the people of his city, but the Bengals will come out mad. Look to A.J. Green to start the fire.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Buffalo Bills @ Carolina Panthers (-7.5)
Lucas: Bills. Taking the points mainly out of apathy for this game. I don't think the Panthers should be touchdown favorites against anyone other than maybe the Niners, Jets, and Browns.
Adam: Panthers. It is tough to give a team 7.5 points, but the Bills only just squeaked by the Jets last week. And yes, winning by 9 points to a piss poor Jets team is squeaking. I see Carolina scoring pretty much at will.

Chicago Bears @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-6.5)
Lucas: Bears. I know, Tampa got an extra week to prepare for them, and I'm breaking my own rule of "Never Bet Against God, Puppies, or First Home Games For Cancer/Natural Disaster Survivors," but almost a touchdown is a lot to lay against a team that hung with the defending NFC champions. Taking the points.
Adam: Buccaneers. Well, the Bears are in mid-season form. Hey, lets make a game that should not even be close, close, but wait, let's eff it up in the last play! Way to go, Bears... SMH...
Lucas note: Honest question: What do you think about Trubisky, and how soon do you want him to start?
Adam note: I didn't get to see the Bears' game last week, but it seems like Glennon is doing fine. I say keep him out there until he messes up.
Lucas note: Agreed.

Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens (-7.5)
Lucas: Browns. Kudos to Baltimore for really showing up on Week 1, but I'm not sure about this line. I know it's Cleveland, but still. Also, this is picking against the guy in charge of MarylandSportsBlog for claiming he doesn't care about power rankings after... complaining about power rankings.
Adam: Browns. Baltimore blanked an arguably worse team. But the Browns did make the Pittsburgh game interesting. I think I will regret this, but Brown...(Run for cover).
Lucas note: Okay, this is a pretty bad meme, but I couldn't help it.

Tennessee Titans @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+1.5)
Lucas: Titans. I'm sorry, this line is way too reactionary to the fact that Tom Savage sucks and Tennessee's loss to a good Raiders team. Should be closer to +3.5 if you ask me, and even when I went to Bovada to cross check, they had the line at +3. Either the sharps agree with me and pushed the line in the last 40 hours, or the oddsmakers do. I'm going to run with this one.
Adam: Titans. Allen Robinson: this year's Keenan Allen He gets 3 plays and even he was like "...Blake Bortles? Eff this, I am out."

Arizona Cardinals @ Indianapolis Colts (+8.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. In a Johnson-heavy pick, the Cardinals pick up Chris Johnson to replace David Johnson (get well soon), a move that makes me miss Gus Johnson. COME ON FOX, THIS IS YOUR GAME! JUST ONCE, LET HIM BACK IN!
Adam: Cardinals. Even with DJ out (sorry to fantasy players whose seasons are pretty much over), Arizona is a better team. Maybe Indy should consider looking at Kaepernick.
Lucas note: I just read an article about this yesterday. If Jacoby Brissett is slightly better than Tolzien, they might not need him. If he's about the same, it might be worth the media circus.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Kansas City Chiefs (-4.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Captain Checkdown got promoted to Admiral Air Attack!
Adam: Chiefs. Kansas City beat New England, that is all you need to know. I'll give 4.5 points and chalk one up in the W column.

Minnesota Vikings @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-6.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Stefon Diggs wore Randy Moss cleats in the win, which may help explain how they started 1-0, but it also prompted my dad to send an article about it to me because of the mooning. My response: HE DID WHAT?!
Adam: Vikings. Taking both teams' performances into consideration, I don't like the 6.5 line here. I mean, if Cleveland can muster 18 points, I suspect Minnesota will do much better.

New England Patriots @ New Orleans Saints (+5.5) 
Lucas: Patriots. Who would win: a god-awful defense, or this guy?
Adam: Patriots. Cue Angry Brady...

Sunday, Late Afternoon

New York Jets @ Oakland Raiders (-14.5)
Lucas: Raiders. When I was first putting the games and lines in, I had the Raiders as 14.5 point underdogs by accident. I almost jumped for joy before remembering that it's an easy typo to make and the Jets should be hauling garbage.
Adam: Jets. Sweet baby Jesus help me... but 14.5 points? I'll take the points but I am not, NOT happy about it.

Miami Dolphins @ Los Angeles Chargers (-3.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. If it weren't for the fact that the 405 is a cluster[expletive], I'd be tempted to go see it for myself.
Adam: Dolphins. Smoking Jay is on another team!!!!!

Dallas Cowboys @ Denver Broncos (+1.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. Note to self: The Ezekiel Elliott Revenge Tour is a thing until the end of December. And maybe into the playoffs, where it will get overshadowed by Cowboy choking, but it may be there. Also, the NFL conducted a fundamentally unfair punishment and appeal hearing for Elliott. #FireGoodell
Adam: Broncos. That D though... Defense for Denver, of course. Happy to take 1.5 points at home in a game I think Denver wins outright.

Washington Redskins @ Los Angeles Rams (-2.5)
Lucas: Rams. I know it was against a bad Colts team, but you know what? Let's let it ride.
Adam: Redskins. The Rams are favored... Say it with me: The Rams are not that good... The Rams Are Not That Good...THE RAMS ARE NOT THAT GOOD.
Lucas note: Hold on, I don't think it's clear: Are the Rams that good?

San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks (-12.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Coming back home to play a terrible team is a nice cure to starting 0-1. As for last week, I'll agree that some bad calls were made, but Seahawks fans have absolutely no right to complain.
Adam: 49ers. Really tempted to go the other way, but 12.5 is a lot. And I don't see this being that high scoring, which makes the 12.5 a much taller order.

Sunday Night

Green Bay Packers @ Atlanta Falcons (-2.5)
Lucas: Packers. Hold on, I need to put back the tables I flipped at my and Kristen's baby shower that was going on as the Packers were getting massacred.
Lucas note: No actual tables were flipped. But I really, really wanted to.
Adam: Packers. Sunday night game here we come. Could turn into a shoot out... but considering Atlanta almost FUBARed a game against the Bears I don't see them winning this one.

Monday Night

Detroit Lions @ New York Giants (-4.5)
Lucas note: Deferring to Adam for first pick here because of the setup.
Adam: Lions. Even with OBJ back, I don't like the Giants. Manning can give us the unhappy face...
Lucas: Lions. BAH GAWD, THAT'S ELI MANNING FACE'S MUSIC!

Records Last Week
Lucas: 6-9
Adam: 10-5
Scott: 7-8
Geoffrey: 8-7 

No comments:

Post a Comment